Spawning Ability for Roman Garrison IMPLEMENTED

Put here any ideas, suggestions about unit or structure properties.
Badnorth

Spawning Ability for Roman Garrison IMPLEMENTED

Post by Badnorth »

I don't think that roman garrison and it's auxiliary productions are really useful. The structure and it's Auxiliaries are severely underused because of Roman garrison having weak units and Auxiliaries having not really useful units. I propose an ability for Roman garrison to spawn a random auxiliary unit every 5 or 6 turns to have those units let loose a little. And besides. Those units doesn't gain effects from blacksmith and Centurion aura. I don't think it will be a huge change to balance.
For newcomers, click here for discord links. Hopefully they aren't expired.
makazuwr32

Re: Spawning Ability for Roman Garrison

Post by makazuwr32 »

Maybe not a direct spawning but as form of centurion ability + garrison ability.
Centurion will have ability to give spell range 1 to roman garrison in range 1, and when this effect is active you can summon additional auxillary unit.

Initially garrison will have range 0 and will not be able to spawn auxillaries.
Effect from ability of centurion can last infinetly but will vanish when ability (any) is used.
This way you can make a hidden backup army just in case.

About cooldowns:
Garrison ability will have 1-2 turns cooldown (You can get more and more units with more centurions around).
Centurions on the other hand will have rather long cooldown (6-10 turns) and also will require tech to unlock ability first.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

Badnorth wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:39 am ...Roman garrison having weak units and Auxiliaries having not really useful units...
... Those units doesn't gain effects from blacksmith and Centurion aura...
Second quoted statement is completely false. All auxilaries get full benefits of centurion aura - both high morale and legion aura, as well as Aenator aura +1 speed.
For the first paragraph - let's better discuss it at dedicated topic for roman units balancing.

As for the idea itself - I don't really want to change only one of the factories to suddenly have more production ability.
And even if we considered it - I'd rather produce legionaries.
makazuwr32 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:33 pm Maybe not a direct spawning but as form of centurion ability + garrison ability.
Very interesting idea to depend more on planned strengths of romans (numbers in army).
But I feel, that depending on centurions doesn't completely fit.
And it is a little complicated.

Maybe a variation:
Ability with 2 turn cooldown, that summons legionary and casts -1 range on self lasting like 10-15 turns.
The same debuff should be applied on Roman Garrison since the start of the game.
If you feel auxilaries are more important - there could be mirror ability for them ( maybe with differing cooldown).
Research could allow legionaries, centurions and maybe senators to have some ability with SYSTEM_SPECIAL_EFFECT_LASTSTURN_MODIFIER decreasing debuff time on garrisons.
Research could be split in two as plebeian pressure - legionary ability and patrician pressure which would give double as effective ability to senators and centurions.
Age of Strategy design leader
Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

Endru1241 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:40 pm Second quoted statement is completely false. All auxilaries get full benefits of centurion aura - both high morale and legion aura, as well as Aenator aura +1 speed.
For the first paragraph - let's better discuss it at dedicated topic for roman units balancing.
I remember that auxiliaries didn't receive effects from legion aura. Has it changed? Or it was like that from the very beginning. I guess i wasn't paying attention since i don't really use roman units. As for the new idea, i like it.
Endru1241

Re: Spawning Ability for Roman Garrison IMPLEMENTED

Post by Endru1241 »

Implemented basic 6 turn cooldown ability, locked by 4 turn tech, but requiring another tech - 4 turn Marian reforms already unlocked.
L4cus

Post by L4cus »

mariam reforms implemented? omg!
how this spawning is working? summoning with paying? like mercenary hire?
Extra ecclesiam nulla salus...
AOD, a new variant...
viewforum.php?f=230
Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

Awesome. I think this will make roman garrison more used as a factory.

The 8 turn Research though lol.
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

L4cus wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:05 pm mariam reforms implemented? omg!
how this spawning is working? summoning with paying? like mercenary hire?
Just additional army every 6 turns.
No costs.
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

Badnorth wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:03 am Awesome. I think this will make roman garrison more used as a factory.

The 8 turn Research though lol.
You'll want the first one anyway.
4 turns for getting buffed legionary.

Return to “Unit balancing”