Elite Cannoneer Buff

Put here any ideas, suggestions about unit or structure properties.
Aral_Yaren

Elite Cannoneer Buff

Post by Aral_Yaren »

Hi forumers, may peace be upon us,

We exclude trebs, elite cannoneer cannot stand against high castle, because the small trebshot deal 15 dmg (outrange them) + double 5 dmg, complete them in one engagement, even they can be healed they cannot outrange castle.

May we have a bit buff for elite cannoneer? An increase of just a bit of melee armor or hp, or even range (this one may be via upgrade). This will give them change dealing high castle (with healer, ofc) and force opponent to garrison his castle.

Thanks all
There shall be times... when people across the world shall live in peace and harmony through their various diversities. I shall wait for it, even though it costs my life...
phoenixffyrnig

Re: Elite Cannoneer Buff

Post by phoenixffyrnig »

Good point Aral.

My thoughts on this is we need to boost most siege a bit. We had a huge overhaul of siege mechanics a while ago, (before you were with us I think), and while that was definitely needed, I think some siege weaponry need to be readjusted upwards.

Things like, as you point out, only treb can out range even 8 range defences, let alone with ballistaria/high castle.

Rams have pretty much become just APCs because any cannon tower/cannon will turn them into splinters
before they even get close enough to do anything

The movement process can be a bit clunky, eg for treb
1 - destroy tower
2 - pack and/ or move
3 - move and/ or unpack
4 attack again
Should they be able to pack/move/unpack in the same turn?

(I think) A heavy catapult would lose in a straight shoot out Vs an un-upgraded fortress. If I'm wrong, I'm only wrong by a hp or two in which case it's nearly the same thing.

Food for thought, I welcome other people's opinions because at the moment these are just my observations rather than any criticisms , but I'm concerned the meta is turning into a tower building game.

Lastly, question for anyone with knowledge of medieval warfare. By the end time period of this game, did there exist cannon that could out range or match contemporary trebs? I did suggest a while back some sort of late game powerful siege cannon (our current ones seem a hybrid between siege cannon and field cannon) but that seemed to gain no momentum because I gave it an incorrect name. If elite cannon isn't buffed, then I do think we need something to represent the high-point of siege weaponry for the time in question.
I also play an RTS game called Life 8-)
And I also like drinking beer! :D
Hyuhjhih
Location: Earth, (the part of blue ball and is named India for some reasons)

Post by Hyuhjhih »

Well the topic, and discs till is pretty good except i can't find a reason for agreeing to
phoenixffyrnig wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:30 pm Should they be able to pack/move/unpack in the same turn?
Well rams are pretty puny if there is a cannon nearby, but the point is , they are much cheaper than cannon towers in any manner and the cannons/towers can stand the one and only effective counters to rams and siege towers, and can still take a couple of hits . Even a good gang of h.cavalry can give a potential threat but are still vulnerable to the pikes if it carries any.

Well the cannoneer it self needs a bit buff but can't pick a suitable one.
1. Increased rng op out castles and forts,
2. Damage op out high foots
3. Further bonuses collapes the unit tower counter system with the cost efficiency
phoenixffyrnig wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:30 pm (I think) A heavy catapult would lose in a straight shoot out Vs an un-upgraded fortress. If I'm wrong, I'm only wrong by a hp or two in which case it's nearly the same thing.
Yeah , the catapults seems less efficient when compared to the ranged sieges. Even if it can clear out a good portion of enemies, it still can't even share a seat with hwacha ( the badboy who odds in every case) .
My idea is that,
1. The current damage with low basic attack and better bonus, towards buildings
2. Better range atleast should pick a threat to average towers like fortress.
3. Low cost, the current one need 6+8(1) while much owerpowered hwacha is much cheaper 6+6+6(1) to be spammed ( i really hate hwachas when i encounter them in spammes).
4. A timeout mech or chance out mechanics for some sieges (the loosely built trebs, catps,hwachas etc) (like max number of shots or max turns alive) making it effective for much dominating but wont let them spam that could ruin the chance for reemerging fallen players.
But in a careful effort to keep the balance.
phoenixffyrnig wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:30 pm Food for thought, I welcome other people's opinions because at the moment these are just my observations rather than any criticisms , but I'm concerned the meta is turning into a tower building game.
Actually, my answer is a noes a partial yes and no. And to the lions share this is a TBS RTS but to a small extend , i suspect the game is leaking towards a TDS.
phoenixffyrnig wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:30 pm Lastly, question for anyone with knowledge of medieval warfare. By the end time period of this game, did there exist cannon that could out range or match contemporary trebs? I did suggest a while back some sort of late game powerful siege cannon (our current ones seem a hybrid between siege cannon and field cannon) but that seemed to gain no momentum because I gave it an incorrect name. If elite cannon isn't buffed, then I do think we need something to represent the high-point of siege weaponry for the time in question.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... a-hpDP0cmn

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... IotUqUgrdQ

Actually these are from an Indian fictional film upon a somewhat real incident in ancient wars. Making these weapons a real medieval weapons tactics.
LIE = Love Is Eternal.

Design leader of the variants Age of Gods and Age Of Civilization, and live heartedly contributing to AoS.

AoC discord server is up AoC
Inbreak

Post by Inbreak »

the cannons/towers can stand the one and only effective counters to rams and siege towers
Cannon is not even near to the most effective weapon against any siege machine. But i'll let it for your personal investigation. I'm even thinking to slightly fix that thing.

In my opinion there's no need to buff a cannon. It's still the siege weapon that can travel 2 tiles and shoot without wasting a turn on transforming. And you also can pack them into wagon and deliver some spicy cannonball rain.
Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grub.

Return to “Unit balancing”