stolen technology

Things that did not fit to the other parts
Jasondunkel

stolen technology

Post by Jasondunkel »

survey and opinion forming

what do you think about stolen technology from the country that stole the technology being able to use it?

e.g. if the usa steals a t-34 variant from the russians the usa can also build t-34 tanks of this variant

perhaps with a delay of plus 1 round to normal production.
Belfry777

Re: stolen technology

Post by Belfry777 »

I like it. I think it will add some flavor to the game especially when you consider the AA upgrades.
A thousand may fall at your side,
And ten thousand at your right hand;
But it shall not come near you.
Only with your eyes shall you look,
And see the reward of the wicked.
Dahdee

Post by Dahdee »

I also think it's a great idea. I have a question though, as to how exactly you envision it to work? My meaning by that is, who exactly does it, and under what conditions? I have previously posted in the technologies section something that performs a similar function, which would be an ability of an engineer. It's under the heading "Reverse Engineering". Is what you are proposing, something done in combat, like the convert unit spell? I was thinking for the purpose of game balance, it needs to be something that can only be done in certain instances, and certain troops. I was thinking something like an engineer has a chance to acquire the knowledge to build a single type of unit from something under construction. Like a single unit built from a factory or knowledge to build a defensive structure from something encountered that is under construction. This idea about capturing a unit in combat is also very good, furthermore, the idea that it would be more difficult to build for the nation that captures it is a great idea as well. So, yes. I like the idea a lot.
TrueSlav

Post by TrueSlav »

I think that's it's a bit of a complicated solution. Jason's idea seems easy to implement and makes stealing somewhat more useful.
Support the new project set in the 1850s to the 1930s.
Forum link:
viewforum.php?f=359
Discord link:
https://discord.gg/BwnPATZtfr
Jasondunkel

Post by Jasondunkel »

Dahdee wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:51 am I also think it's a great idea. I have a question though, as to how exactly you envision it to work? My meaning by that is, who exactly does it, and under what conditions? I have previously posted in the technologies section something that performs a similar function, which would be an ability of an engineer. It's under the heading "Reverse Engineering". Is what you are proposing, something done in combat, like the convert unit spell? I was thinking for the purpose of game balance, it needs to be something that can only be done in certain instances, and certain troops. I was thinking something like an engineer has a chance to acquire the knowledge to build a single type of unit from something under construction. Like a single unit built from a factory or knowledge to build a defensive structure from something encountered that is under construction. This idea about capturing a unit in combat is also very good, furthermore, the idea that it would be more difficult to build for the nation that captures it is a great idea as well. So, yes. I like the idea a lot.
the ideas are similar. whereas i just take the existing one and simply then give an advantage to the nation that steals.

also, i think stratego and all those who help have problems getting the engine to act in a way that engineers can take over.
Dahdee

Post by Dahdee »

Yes, I definitely like Jason's idea. I know nothing about programming, and really didn't consider what something like I proposed would entail. This is a great idea, and if it's also easy to implement, it should be done. I do think there needs to be some condition under which the chance to steal is given though. For example, if a unit is surrounded you can try to steal it. Also, something like an industry 2 nation can't steal an industry 3 tank, something of that nature. Regardless of how it happens, we should have the opportunity to seize material from our enemies, without using spells, and Jason's idea here would let us do that.
Dahdee

Post by Dahdee »

Which units would be capable of doing something like this?
Jasondunkel

Post by Jasondunkel »

Dahdee wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:19 am Yes, I definitely like Jason's idea. I know nothing about programming, and really didn't consider what something like I proposed would entail. This is a great idea, and if it's also easy to implement, it should be done. I do think there needs to be some condition under which the chance to steal is given though. For example, if a unit is surrounded you can try to steal it. Also, something like an industry 2 nation can't steal an industry 3 tank, something of that nature. Regardless of how it happens, we should have the opportunity to seize material from our enemies, without using spells, and Jason's idea here would let us do that.
stealing technology is already available. all units that take TCs can steal technology. but currently you can only steal and use technology that is available somewhere in your research possibilities.
e.g. the air-to-air missiles this research is for everyone and if your opponent has researched it but you haven't you can use it.

but it is about the things that are not available in your tech research.

as now all units that can take TC's should continue to steal research.

oh yes, in case you don't know, there is also a research to prevent this.

Return to “Others”