Tutorial: Redesign

Here talk about maps and campaigns.
IMPORTANT!: Every map/campaign should be in a separate topic.
So if you have a new idea than open a new topic for it!
IRONBLASTER36

Tutorial: Redesign

Post by IRONBLASTER36 »

We've got lots of complaints on our tutorial maps in AOWW. I talked with dev and I'm on work with a new tutorial. It's about production and infantry. Here I've explained every infantry unit's function and I've also made them use that knowledge (see by playing it, I dunno how to explain it here). I've explained movement advantages of infantry by practically showing them (i.e they don't lose movements in forests unlike vehicles and the mountain movement penalty). Advantages and disadvantages of each unit. Though this level is aimed at teaching about basic default units, I've made it compatible with the additional troops available through upgrade menu. My last count on total trigger lines was 148. Here's the map layout screenshot. (well it's been exactly 1 week when I started making this level)
Screenshot_2019-09-30-21-10-12-702.jpeg
Screenshot_2019-09-30-21-10-12-702.jpeg (451.35 KiB) Viewed 1103 times
I will be submitting it today or if I'm late then will submit it tomorrow (3 oct).
Well theoretically all my triggers should work but due to large number of trigger lines, chances of mistake increase. So I plea you'll to test it and report it to me here.
We need to restructure and/or recreate all tutorials and make them better. Send info about your made tutorials over here. This page is for discussion of these new tutorials.
Well in my tutorial, I couldn't find a place for keeping a medic practical section (I tried, you may guess by seeing the pic, but I couldn't implement, maybe it would be too much to be in one tutorial), so can anyone create a level for medic? Well I suggest you to use a lot of triggers. Also make some scenarios and tell the user how to deal with it. People with advanced knowledge of triggers are recommended for this. And our goal is to aim for quality, I've read in playstore reviews about criticism (complaints) of the tutorial. Many said that they will uninstall the game because of that. We need to prevent that. Since any new user would first prefer to go to the tutorials section and if the tutorials are not teaching them anything and are leaving them clueless. Eg: the production tutorial, that was really hard! The designer just gave very little cover and just blankly told to produce tanks. He/she didn't even removed other units from that towns production list. This will make the user confused and little curious too. So he/she will try to train other units than tanks. Or they may train some lots of turns taking tanks, thinking that it would be more powerful. But till it's trained the user loses. Though the dev modified balanced it a bit but the core idea seems confusing. I.e. people who don't know why do they have to train tanks for countering machine guns, why not other units? It needs to be explained. Well few of us try to learn through playing(lots of playing and that's a long process) but many won't, they would judge the game on the tutorials itself.

You must've heard this famous proverb :
First impression is the last impression

I hope you understood what I meant. Here tutorials are the one making the first impression. Our aim is to focus on them and make the best, this one way you'll keep your attracted user to continue playing and not uninstall. Even I left working on my campaign (i.e. attack on America and other new one coming soon, well not that soon) and am focusing on this. If you don't have users to play the game, how will your campaigns be played!

Whoever is ready to work, please reply down. I'll suggest you on which topic you've to work, we don't want clashes in maps (I mean we don't want a repeat of same level, that will be waste of time).

Anyways
Have a great day! :)
IRONBLASTER36

Re: Tutorial: Redesign

Post by IRONBLASTER36 »

Well an incomplete version of this was by mistake launched by the dev. The game crashes as soon as you open it. We know the problem, please do not send a crash report, he's mail is fully loaded with it. The issue has been solved, few minor changes in the level and it'll be published soon!

Return to “Map & campaign designs”