Map editor- add ability to make tiles in game objects or decor

Put here any ideas, suggestions about existing maps, or new maps.
TheSenate-_-

Map editor- add ability to make tiles in game objects or decor

Post by TheSenate-_- »

What I mean by this is sort of a map obstruction/ no map obstruction toggle button for the tiles you chose in the map editor. For example: roses and other flowers and some mushrooms block units from traveling over them; with the toggle implemented we can remove their ability to block in game units or add it if we want. This goes for everything in the map editor. It would make the editor much more accessible to new players and make room for a plethora of more possibilities. What do you all think?
Badnorth

Re: Map editor- add ability to make tiles in game objects or decor

Post by Badnorth »

What? Do you mean to make obstacles passable? To make obstacles tiles But remain their texture?
For newcomers, click here for discord links. Hopefully they aren't expired.
TheSenate-_-

Post by TheSenate-_- »

That's exactly what I mean. Since you're the one making the map you should have free reign on the general physics of the objects you place down. This might be hard to implement, so I proposed they just have the toggle set for every placable thing in the builder menu, but there should be user disgression when using that option. The map editor could warn the user when selecting the option just to keep things user friendly. Pass through a rosebush? You can do it. Pass through a rock?(or climb lets pretend here) sure. Pass through lava? Sure. You're the map Creator this will be great for campaign making and could be made as a trigger too if not only limited to being a trigger if the design leaders deside that.
Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

Hmm I think that's a good idea.
For newcomers, click here for discord links. Hopefully they aren't expired.
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

A little ineffecient.
Currently map structure contains just tile types.
Stratego planned for adding separate layer for decoration/obstacles, but still even if that change would be implemented to allow map designer free choice of tile parameters additional mechanism would have to be introduced.
Either saving all tile parameters increasing map file size and memory used or additional parameters table for changed tiles, increasing load/processing time.
It's better to just add another tile type having the same graphics.
Age of Strategy design leader
TheSenate-_-

Post by TheSenate-_- »

That last sentence of yours. Yeah that is a good alternative! Like have decorative non game impacting versions of every item (not tiles that seems redundant {eg: water decor on a water tile, this is redundant and takes up space} ) this way if we were to place down say: Rose bush, the one in game blocks units, but if we just used it's purely decorative non-physical-property containing version the units would ignore it and treat it as a floor tile. Of course none of this is even remotely urgent and is more akin to a nitpick, but as someone who really enjoys the map editor I think this would give the users more to work with. Regardless you seem to imply that you guys already have plans for something like this so I will yield. If you have anymore info on how that plan you guys had I'm all ears if you're willing to share of course.

Return to “Maps, campaigns”