Map design - How can i create user (community) map?

Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Map design - How can i create user (community) map?

Post by Stratego (dev) »

The things you can do realted to map designs
1. designing maps new map with the current tiles we have (water/ground/forest/hill/space objects etc)
2. designing games (map+players+units(maybe special units)) this is complete game with any opponents any units and any teaming setup.
3. designing game tiles: eg: current or a completely new "ground" that is actually a shore (with water on the left, right, top, bottom, top-left corner, etc...)

First of all I send you a sample game map (a space map) that will include information/help for all of the points above, and a few things to know about it.
- random_space_20.tmx and the terrain png and units png file
- you will need the free tilemap editor application "Tiled" to be downloaded:http://www.mapeditor.org/
- after installing that you need only to click on the .tmx file that will bring up the game-map in the editor.
- there are two layers: terrain and unit layer.
- and also there are the same tilesets (little tabs) terrain/units
- from the terrain tileset there are only some tiles used (water, forest etc..), all others with BLACK CIRCLES can be redesigned to anything else.
- a tile have properties what the game can read and identify a tile: eg:
- a ground tile have ground=true property,
- a unit have
- player=x and
- type=archer properties to identify what kind of unit needed to be placed when the game is created.

Depending on what you want to do, you can
1. design a map: simply give me a new tmx file that only have the terrain layer filled (with the already used tile types we use) and no unit layer filled
2. design a game: you can fill the units layer also
3. design a game tile: you need to give me the new modified .png files, and telling me which tileset-tile positions changed.
2.a: design game extra: while you design a game you can create brand new special units (like the troyan horse, spartian hoplite i did on the historical maps. These new units need a bit coding also (but not much) i need to set the proerties of (hp, attack strength and so on). Feel free to design such units, put them into the "units" tileset into the same row where the troyan horse placed.

If you do anything, i can build and send you the .apk without even publishing the app on google play - to let you check your map in work before publishing.

So this is it, not complex when you do it.

As i told you: Feel free to send me any suggestions on the game or on anything related to it!

Thanks in advance for trying to build a map! Have fun! You will see it feels awesome seeing your own map in the game!

(ir you feel yourself pro in map making go here to see some advanced stuff: triggers: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=124)

daniel
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Re: Map design - How can i create user (community) map?

Post by Stratego (dev) »

The tile images refreshed by dust-n-steel work! thanks!

Return to “FAQ”