Plane transformation option

DreJaDe

Plane transformation option

Post by DreJaDe »

Instead of having to train another same plane for a different job, why not just make the plane able to transform into a bomber/fighter state on one click of a button?

Then this ability would of course, be only doable on either carrier or airports.

Advantages
-Space saving
-Not easily confused by players who will train them
-only need to buy one version of the plane.

Disadvantages
-Being able to do two jobs is quite the thing so maybe they have to be only a 6 turn plane at minimum.
-Maybe hard for coders
-Have go to airports just to change role

@Stratego (dev)
Can this be done?

@Jasondunkel
@TntAttack
@Dahdee
Any thoughts on the idea?
TntAttack

Re: Plane transformation option

Post by TntAttack »

Interesting. An extreme idea expanding on this could be reconnaissance plane variants which are invisible to most units much like subs, and can be detected via scouts or adjacent fighter planes nearby.

That way we can stop with the "sight" comprise between normal fighter/bomber planes and reconnaissance ones.

Or give reconnaissance planes a looking through fog ability much like thst comms tower in AoM. But invisible planes sounds cooler.

Or perhaps we could change the plane's load out as well which would be a nice quality of life service. But that is a minor hassle to do in large maps I reckon.
Jasondunkel

Post by Jasondunkel »

the idea is interesting

i don't really like it.
for us, who play the game a lot and know that it exists, but it gets too complicated for the new players.
the question is whether changing the images then works on the airfield

since tnt mentions the reconnaissance planes, there is still a debate about how and if they can be brought into the game

https://www.ageofstrategy.net/viewtopic ... 98&t=12743

where we can continue
DreJaDe

Post by DreJaDe »

TBH, I think this is easier to understand for beginners.

Just putting it on the description even if they didn't get it.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

wait fighter and bomber versions cost (turncost) the same now?

also i have suggestion for new players too:
- we can keep both planes as they are now currently (both the fighter and the fighterbomber verisons trainable )
- but both plane can have an ability to re-arm to the other form (ability works only in airfields),
-- we can even put some "1-2 turn" suspend effect after transformation so it takes eg. 2 turns to re-arm you can not fly with the plane for 2 turns.
DreJaDe

Post by DreJaDe »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:24 pm - we can keep both planes as they are now currently (both the fighter and the fighterbomber verisons trainable )
- but both plane can have an ability to re-arm to the other form (ability works only in airfields),
That was my idea early but I thought you would disagree cause it's just taking up options and being redundant.
Stratego (dev) wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:24 pm -- we can even put some "1-2 turn" suspend effect after transformation so it takes eg. 2 turns to re-arm you can not fly with the plane for 2 turns.
Game wise, I don't think it is needed.
DreJaDe

Post by DreJaDe »

Wait
I think fighter bomber should be able to transform as fighter even without airports cause IRL, they just pretty much drop their bombs and tanks when they are intercepted.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

i am not sure we should model that case.
Dahdee

Post by Dahdee »

DreJaDe wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:57 am Wait
I think fighter bomber should be able to transform as fighter even without airports cause IRL, they just pretty much drop their bombs and tanks when they are intercepted.
TBH I like this idea the most. But,
Stratego (dev) wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:08 am i am not sure we should model that case.
I also very much like this...
TntAttack wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:23 am give reconnaissance planes a looking through fog ability much like thst comms tower in AoM.
but, sounds like different discussion.

Return to “Balancing discussions”