Anti air guns (ground and ship based)

Freddy682

Anti air guns (ground and ship based)

Post by Freddy682 »

AA(anti aircraft) guns, ground and ship based, are able to easily take down aircraft. This is not historical accurate and makes aircraft very weak and unable to attack most things later in the game renderimg them rather useless. My suggestion is to make all aa (ship and land based) have a 10% chance of hitting their target instead of 100%. This would force players to use fighters more to counter enemy aircraft instead of relying on ground based stuff. It would also mean naval warfare would require you to have fightet patrols for your ships to protect them.

With this change upgrades could be added. One in naval ship yards which would increase ship based aa from 10% to 20% accuracy (or to 15%). This could be the first naval upgrade. And a separate one for ground based aa in towns which would do the same but for ground based aa
TntAttack

Re: Anti air guns (ground and ship based)

Post by TntAttack »

Although I agree with you that it makes sense, it's not going to balance well.

Firstly, 10 percent chance of hitting air targets is too low. Gives naval bombers too much power against naval units.

Air fighters right now aren't very balanced per say in fractions due to real life historical inequalities. So it's more advantageous for e.g. germans at the start of the war with their main fighter, but unless they make jet fighters their fighters are outclassed by later fighters.

The amount of resources used to bomb e.g a carrier is cheaper and less risky that to walk around with patrol aircraft. You only have so much carrier/airport space so it's ideal to use it to increase your offensive capacity.

About the aa in tc, that I can support.
DreJaDe

Post by DreJaDe »

I think I have a better idea.

Make their damage lower but make them have 1 AOE.

Pretty accurate right? I mean, that how they really downed aircraft using AA.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

this seems stucked
- can we get to a conclusion some way?
- if anyone has yet responed please ask him to.
- if i am wrong and here is a conclusion somewhere please summarize me

thanks!
TntAttack

Post by TntAttack »

Inconclusive: Drejade has raised a suggestion, which was not agreed by me. His final counter suggestion failed to inspired me to reply due to my lack of understanding regarding issue and creativeness.

Hence I declare this thread dead!

Unless Drejade you wish to appeal with something new.
DreJaDe

Post by DreJaDe »

Honestly, this is a pretty hard to look at...

From what I see with the current fighters. Plane v plane is quite a disaster. Besides the jets annihilating everything, the normal planes deal so much weaker against each other.

Am I wrong in this?

Im still not looking at it too much though.

For the miss chance. It's really not good for me. Kinda disadvantage with unlucky people like me (lol)

Not much to offer for me besides my suggestion though.

Another might have been just to lower their damage.
SS-Jericho

Post by SS-Jericho »

Lowering its damage with AOE is better i think since I also get unlucky during crucial moments with miss speeds.
Fighters should really do have higher bonus against other aircrafts. Most Anti-air does not instantly kill a plane, most of the time pilots have a time to react wether to maneuver around and do its mission (dropping bomb/patrol/hunting other aircrafts) or to turn around and flee. If condition is bad (lots of anti-air firing) usually they retreat unless they are ordered not to.

On the other hand fighter planes kills planes at sight. Unless enemy has superior plane or skill/ or its a bomber equipped with anti air.

Additional idea: add more AA (heavy/light)
Example for germany:

3 turn cost - flak 88 (currently have one)
Lower bonus against smaller aircrafts (no more oneshot)
Higher bonus against bigger and chunky aircrafts

2 turn cost - flakveirling 38 2cm (suggestion)
Higher bonus against smaller aircraft
Low bonus vs bigger aircrafts

Which I think is realistic since lower caliber AA shredds fighter bombers and fighters that descends at lower altitude. While bigger AA just makes other plane retreat after first shot.
Jasondunkel

Post by Jasondunkel »

the thing about probability is stratego's statement that he doesn't like probabilities.

the damage value is determined by the xls. so what we can do is better adjust the bonuses of the aa.

so against small planes e.g. only 500% instead of 700%, against big planes e.g. 900% instead of 1200% and against heavy bombers 1100% instead of 1400%.
this is an example of the flak 88

I would leave the two shots because the air defence was very widely distributed.

Return to “Balancing discussions”