Engine: Spectating Matches

TntAttack

Engine: Spectating Matches

Post by TntAttack »

I desire to spectate player matches sometimes. I propose an option to allow a match to be "spectatable". Gold/gems costs can be placed to e.g. 25 gold/gems, to make your game spectatable.

This can better the game currency which becomes almost worthless when you unlock everything, and promotes better quality matches for spectators.

The spectators should be able to see everything, with toggles button for each player's POV preferable. To avoid cheating, the spectators can only see 2-3 turns before.

Spectators can comment and add flags and etc. Players can't read spectators comments.

If this idea is a bit too complicated, perhaps try making it that only friends can spectator each other.
makazuwr32

Re: Spectating Matches

Post by makazuwr32 »

This would be awesome.

Alas i would suggest to further think on this idea in next way:

1. Give similar option to choose for spectrators as for «match open for joining» setting — open for anyone, password protected (will share password with joining for playing), friends only or no spectrators.
2. Separate choice for specrtator matches in «multiplayer — join» menu: right below «Games you can join» option «Games you can watch».
3. (Optional) Option for matches with spectrators that will decide when spectrators can join — only before match starts or also during ongoing match as well.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

i feel this can be a new way to cheat too, to spectate enemy positions and plans while on other account he plays.
DreJaDe

Post by DreJaDe »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:18 am i feel this can be a new way to cheat too, to spectate enemy positions and plans while on other account he plays.
A really valid concern ngl... though maybe that could be limited if our account can be tied to google accounts.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

can not as it will be "soon" on iphone and on windows too.
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:18 am i feel this can be a new way to cheat too, to spectate enemy positions and plans while on other account he plays.
What about this option being available only for open maps?
Not for explored/fog.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
TntAttack

Post by TntAttack »

[spoiler][/spoiler]

I don't know if it's possible to curb cheating. We can discourage it though.

1. Friends Only Spectator Option
Friends (or reputation players) should be able to play against each other. As this is based off "trust" between both parties to not. Doesn't prevent it, but should there be a disagreement you could always unfriend someone. (Also helps that you can ban players you dont like)

2. Reporting Player System
If a player is problematic, perhaps a report button is needed. And some moderators to dish out appropriate punishments e.g. mute for 24 hours, multiplayer revoked for 2 days etc

3. Turn Delay
Spectators see 3 turns behind. Cheating effectiveness decreased by a bit.

I think it problem isn't new. Advance wars by Web doesn't allow you to spectate but you can download the game after it finishes look through it.

If the problem is really bad e.g. we couldn't deal with it as it came up, then perhaps a live post-match replay of the match (with spectator commentary) possible?
b2198

Post by b2198 »

TntAttack wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:25 pm I think it problem isn't new. Advance wars by Web doesn't allow you to spectate but you can download the game after it finishes look through it.

If the problem is really bad e.g. we couldn't deal with it as it came up, then perhaps a live post-match replay of the match (with spectator commentary) possible?
This one I think would be the most reliable way to prevent cheating while allowing other players to see others' matches, and replays themselves would also be awesome even for those who were in the game itself... though they're very likely a lot harder to implement.
Green is the correct color, other colors are "less correct".
TntAttack

Post by TntAttack »

@Stratego (dev) I wish to revive this thread. Is there anyway this idea can be realised?

What are your current thoughts and if there any way for this to be implemented? Is this idea really complicated and time consuming?
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

sure time consuming, but after all alternatives are on iOS we can revive this topic.

Return to “Other ideas”