Siege Engineers

godOfKings

Siege Engineers

Post by godOfKings »

@Endru1241

The idea is still in the preliminary stage, but the main idea is that culture building can sacrifice worker to make a dedicated siege engineer, originally for roman garrison but can b expanded to other cultures

Perks of siege engineer
Will have as much mend rate as a worker with coal cart buff, so much faster construction
Can build some specialized units that cant b built by workers

Disadvantage
Cannot get coal cart buff
Will lose ability to build or repair more stuffs that workers can build (especially cant build wagons)
Cannot b reversed to worker so its permanent

Some ideas on cultural build list as example (will b made in separate topics later)

Roman engineer:
Fortifications only those legionnaires can make like palisades and roads
Watch tower
Wooden bridge
Roman garrison and castrum
Siege mantlet, tower, ballista, catapult

Viking:
Nord hall
Viking mega
May b some new temporary fort like structures unique to viking
Siege mantlet, tower, battering ram, catapult, trireme, unique to vikings longboat

Greek:
Fireship unique to greek worker
Trireme
Galley
Other ideas discussed later

Primitive
Mantlet, ram, traps, war canoe etc.
Last edited by godOfKings on Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
godOfKings

Re: Siege Engineers

Post by godOfKings »

Basically opening up on a new cultural expansion and balancing idea in terms of build
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
Sombrar +1

Post by Sombrar +1 »

What if, to get the Roman builders, it was necessary to research a technology like "Roman Engineering" or "Builder Training"?

Basically it can be done in 5-7 shifts, after researching the training of Roman legionaries, I think it's better than having to transform an ordinary worker, besides In addition, it would be a little stronger and have greater buildability than a common builder, just not having the improved worker's "Repair Focus" ability but without losing the boost of ore carts.
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

After my recent defeats in tournament i have mixed feelings about this...

Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

I generally try to avoid any kind of boost to construction since some time.
Too dangerous if turned out OP.

This one idea could bring catapult spam back again.

On the contrary - I had thought to somehow make towers be build longer the farther from tc they are (or simply longer when outside of TC aura of some given range).
Unfortunately aura cannot affect units under construction.
Age of Strategy design leader
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

Yes after the tournament i come to conclusion that roman is too powerful and doesnt need an extra siege spams to destroy fortifications

But may b something else like different faction engineers will b same as worker but may b can make some unique faction siege/building that normal worker cant, while also getting penalty like cant build things that normal worker can, so each faction can have another method to uniquely expand in separate directions

Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

That still sounds to me like something for separated cultures (race in engine).

Although there is one idea which could work - removing siege engines and some ships from worker production altogether and making it unique to siege engineer (or nerfing construction speed when worker builds).
The question remains if it's worth the work.
Age of Strategy design leader

Return to “Unit - supportive (buff, heal, repair etc.)”