Steppe culture support IMPLEMENTED

Endru1241

Steppe culture support IMPLEMENTED

Post by Endru1241 »

I am unsure about name.
I based the image around mongolian shamaness, but added elements taking into account other cultures coming from nomads of asian steppes.

Unit would have mentioned weakening poison.
Probably a healer.

Ideas to fill effects?
Attachments
unit_shaman.png
unit_shaman.png (1.61 KiB) Viewed 1067 times
Age of Strategy design leader
Aral_Yaren

Re: Steppe culture support

Post by Aral_Yaren »

The name could be Buu (Böö) to sound more of mongol accent.

These are my options:

1. Tengri Power: add buff for steppe culture range unit, +1 range that last only 1 turns.

2. Sky Burial: unit deal damage first (like reach tech), affect melee steppe unit. Last for 2 turns.

3. Banner Spirit (I forgot it's mongolian name): add buff for steppe mounted unit, +1 speed and +1 sight that last 3 turns.

4. Perhaps some sort of shamanistic rite (the name could be Tengri Rite): when activated, shaman loose movement and action for certain turn (perhaps 2) but in exchange units nearby him (in 2 or 3 range) heal +4 hp automatically each turn (like the case herbalist's herb protection spell) and get buff (+1 atk, +50% MR).
There shall be times... when people across the world shall live in peace and harmony through their various diversities. I shall wait for it, even though it costs my life...
DreJaDe

Post by DreJaDe »

I watched some mongol movie and I saw that mongols are scared of thunders.

Maybe that could also be a spell

Tengri's wrath?
Wrath of Tengri?

The could be like demoralize but renamed.

Also, I noticed this while looking at this unit.
If this is implemented, only the Romans would have no specialized healer
b2198

Post by b2198 »

Aral_Yaren wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:03 am The name could be Buu (Böö) to sound more of mongol accent.

These are my options:

1. Tengri Power: add buff for steppe culture range unit, +1 range that last only 1 turns.

2. Sky Burial: unit deal damage first (like reach tech), affect melee steppe unit. Last for 2 turns.

3. Banner Spirit (I forgot it's mongolian name): add buff for steppe mounted unit, +1 speed and +1 sight that last 3 turns.

4. Perhaps some sort of shamanistic rite (the name could be Tengri Rite): when activated, shaman loose movement and action for certain turn (perhaps 2) but in exchange units nearby him (in 2 or 3 range) heal +4 hp automatically each turn (like the case herbalist's herb protection spell) and get buff (+1 atk, +50% MR).
1 seems interesting, could open up some decisions to make about targets that are barely outside range, and mongolian horse archers have a very low base range for an archer, so it could be very useful for them

2 I'm not sure, since we currently only have 1 (right?) melee steppe unit, so I don't know how it would work in combination with them

3 seems interesting

4 sounds like an ultimate skill, could be hard to balance... but if implemented in a not op way would be very fun to use and could lead to some game-changing tactics in specific situations
Green is the correct color, other colors are "less correct".
b2198

Post by b2198 »

Tengri Shaman in dev version is probably too weak?

Comparing with bards (because they have the same cost):

Tengri Shaman vs Bard
hp: 11 vs 12
heavy clothed: no vs yes
actions: 1 vs 2
abilities:
  • Spirit Banner is imo weaker than Adventure Song, the relative +1 sight and +1 duration are worse when compared to +1 speed and +50% mental resistance.
  • Tengri Blessing is imo slightly weaker than Battle Song, the relative +1 range nad +1 sight aren't really better when compared to +3 attack and +1 armor. I do concede though that +1 range is better than +1 speed from Adventure Song, didn't think enough about that at the time.
  • Hero Song is uncomparably better than Weakening Poison, it basically doubles the effective damage of the unit, and 3 healable damage per turn and -2 damage on target that requires a research to unlock doesn't even get close, even when considering the 4 cast range and that it can be applied to ranged units.
  • Promote Loyalty is... not really a viable option unless you're against a conversion-heavy strat, and that is quite rare (I have some thoughts on conversion too, but as usual that's for another topic), and even then you might be better with the other buffs in some cases.
  • Heal is definitely better than no heal, 10 heal is quite good too, but I don't think that's enough to compensate all the rest.
Now, I don't think all skills should have the same power, it doesn't need to work like that to be balanced, but since her skills are in general worse than bard's skills, I don't think it's in a balanced state to leave her with just 1 action, though she might still be weaker even with 2 actions, so I'm not really sure what the best approach would be here.
DreJaDe

Post by DreJaDe »

I kinda dont think so

I consider both Spirit Banner and Adventure song as roughly equal. There's not that much disadvantage for both. Considering also who they can buff, I don't think one is much worse.

Battle song and Tengri blessing, I kinda agree. Horse archers are more of an annoyance than actual damaging for me. There's also a buff already for their sight, why not just turn the sight to more damage?

In terms of comparison to hero song. I think having the weak poison and heal is already enough to balance this. No need of change. Though in terms of usefulness for their culture, I'd say heal is more useless.
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

Well - pure comparison to bard can be seen as disadvantageous, but this is only one of the support units.
Better buffing capability is supposed to be the offset to lack of any healing.
What about the others though?

About potential changes:
- I don't like giving 2 actions,
- lack of heavy clothed is similar to herbalist, so I don't think it's really needed, HP could be increased if needed and/or some armor given.
- Tengri blessing could be easily given more bonuses, but I am unsure if attack is really good - it won't offset dismal damage to heavily armored targets, while it could become too good vs light and medium infantry. I'd rather give weapon effect like slingers.
- Spirit banner could be boosted to be one of the better abilities - simple change of additional +1 or even 2 p.armor and / or some mental resistance
- Heal should be quite important for culture dependant on mounted archers, that are much easier to preserve, than regular ones (outside of garrison). Could be boosted.
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

Wat about a +1 speed? I support +1 speed and +1 range to b the unique factor for steppe support
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

godOfKings wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:10 pm Wat about a +1 speed? I support +1 speed and +1 range to b the unique factor for steppe support
They are already getting speed in another ability, which affects all, not only ranged.
b2198

Post by b2198 »

I'd go with +1 p. armor for Tengri Blessing and some resistance for Spirit Banner, alongside a small (+1 or +2) increase in hp.
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

In the assets:
Tengri Shaman HP 11->13.
Spirit Banner +1 speed, +1 sight (like before) and added +1 p.armor, +15% mental resistance
Tengri Blessing +1 range, +1 sight (like before) and added +1 p.armor, +1 additional armor piercing damage point, lasts 3->4 turns.
b2198

Post by b2198 »

@Stratego (dev) This one should be marked as "IMPLEMENTED".
Endru1241

Re: Steppe culture support IMPLEMENTED

Post by Endru1241 »

My blunder.

Return to “Unit - supportive (buff, heal, repair etc.)”