Codingless designing

Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Codingless designing

Post by Stratego (dev) »

I have worked a lot in the past weeks to make the game "configurable" via files.
The reason is that i see i have no time to configure up (even with forumer's) help a new alternative version (like UFO version)

I believe the last one will be AOW that i can do myself.

so i made the coregame totally (almost) configurable by textfiles (json files) so any of you who attend to be a "low level designer" (meaning you can write the jsons) can havea version of the game that lets you configure this.
"low level designer": Practically the "low level designer" is the same person as the "design leader".
Jsons: means desining units, their stats, the categories, the terrains, and terrain autmations in mapeditor, the unit/terrain images, the sounds, and so on - everything (you can see the "json" sections in FAQ)

So if any of you want to be a "low level designer" for any version other than AOS/AOF/AOW than you need to
- learn how to configure jsons (you can start practicing immediately on running AOS/AOF/AOW versions)
- if i see you are ready i can give you
a) the framework of the new game alternative (eg. UFO)
b) the "low level designer" grant on it - to configure the jsons/assets yourself on your own device or on your PC, and you can test it on your own device.
- when you feel yourself ready, i can compile the whole json pack you did into the framework so we can share it with forumers for testing (we can do this even daily, like i do updates in AOS/AOW/AOF)

if you are interested in starting to be "low level designer" of any subversion of the game, than email me.
Midonik

Re: Codingless designing

Post by Midonik »

I have questions: is it passible to do that on Android phone,and how to get AOS/AOF/AOW version to practice.
Support new AoS variant, Age of Galaxy: http://ageofstrategy.net/viewforum.php? ... 608408ebc8
All help will be welcome.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

android: yes it will be possible.
practice: no, i would like to teach how jsons work and if someone is qualified enough than i can share with him the "moddable" version - if he takes the json exam :)
Midonik

Post by Midonik »

And you want to tech throught the e-mail,or what?
Support new AoS variant, Age of Galaxy: http://ageofstrategy.net/viewforum.php? ... 608408ebc8
All help will be welcome.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

i always wrote a FAQ on forum about all "teaching" conversations - the current FAQ forum threads are from the "lessons" with CoolGuy and Alexander, so if you learn those in detail, you can do json modifications already.

since they "lectures" i have made new jsons (there are many new posted in last few weeks) those are new to CoolGuy and Alexander too.

but yes, any help goes via email or forum discussions (eg. on the specific FAQ thread of that json)
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

Which application would you use for json files?
The community's spark of interest in these are encouraging me to try them on my own.
OLÉ
Sunrise Samurai

Post by Sunrise Samurai »

These json files essentially make up everything but the core engine of the game. They define units, abilities​, and whatever else you care to make, including stats, projectile type, prerequisites, upgrades.....need I go on?

You can work on them in any text based software, like notepad, but it's best to start with existing jsons to get a framework. Daniel posted a bunch of tutorials, if you can take the time to read through them. They also include a link you can use to check if your json is valid.

In short, this gives us everything we need to make our own "age of" game without Daniel needing to do more than put the files in place. This means we can do most of the work for him, and the game comes together much faster, especially given Daniel's lack of available time lately.
The glorious sun rises again
Sunrise Samurai

Here's a (quickly made) joke.

All I did was modify the original baby into a castle sized monster. Not sure if the image would stretch to fit, but you get the idea. I also edited the life and power to fit, and renamed it. If I could take the time right now, I'd even give it the "screaming" spell from banshee, but I'm still learning​ and I think putting in new lines is a bit beyond my current skill level.
Attachments
unit_neutral_bigbaby.json
(3.12 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

:)

problems in json (only at first glance)
- the image will still be 32x32, so a big transparent part will be the 3x2 tile size, there is new image needed and new image section definition (like at castle)
- also my name convention is to have capital letter unit type namings.
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

Thanks samurai, but whenever I try to open a code of json file, nothing happens.

I might have to try going off by the code left on the forums if I can't find solution to the problem.

Notepad sounds like a good workplace.
OLÉ
Sunrise Samurai

Stratego (dev) wrote::)

problems in json (only at first glance)
- the image will still be 32x32, so a big transparent part will be the 3x2 tile size, there is new image needed and new image section definition (like at castle)
- also my name convention is to have capital letter unit type namings.
That's what I was wondering with the image. Wasn't sure. Didn't put much effort into it because 1. It was just a joke and 2. It was 10:00 at night for me at the time, so I was a bit tired. I figured it would be a funny way to demonstrate what we can do. I'll pay more attention (and actually run it through the json check before posting) when I'm putting up something for real.

Thanks for answering the question on image vs unit​ size though.

By the way, for turning us all into geeks :geek: for you, you have become​ the supreme geek :ugeek: lol. Just had to point out we have emoticons for our current situation :lol:
Sunrise Samurai

Puss: Daniel put up zip files of the JSONs in AoF and AoS in the FAQs, I suggest starting there. Working on your phone/tablet​, I've been using "Astro file manager" to open the zip files and then to open the JSONs as text. On a computer, just open them with notepad.
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

Don't have myself a computer yet, so I think I will have a try on that astro file manager app.

Thanks! :D
OLÉ
Sunrise Samurai

Send Daniel an email and he'll add you to the "under the hood studies" with some assignments of your​ own to learn as you go. So far it's just me and midonik, and lesson 1 has been adjusting bonus tables.

Return to “Archive”