Balance all 3-step techs IMPLEMENTED

kingofgalaxies

Balance all 3-step techs IMPLEMENTED

Post by kingofgalaxies »

Recently, both human tech (Projectiles & engines) got nerfs. While I approve of nivelling the range boost, I think a universal sort of tech (3-step tech in mega building) should be balanced out among each race.

Currently there are the following techs :
Humans :
Projectiles : +1dmg, +1 dmg, +1dmg&+1p.r.
Engines : +0, +1speed, +1speed
Reptilians :
Energy weapons : +1dmg, +2dmg, +2dmg
Body mod : +1, +2, +2 energy armor
Insectoids :
Exoskeletons : +1, +2, +2 phys. armor
Genome : +2hp, +2hp, +5hp

As you see, right now esp. after the recent nerfs, some techs have the first two steps of equal value and only the last one gives more value. Others give the increased value already on the second step. This is illogical. What about applying the first concept (type: +1 +1 +2) to all techs?
Ergo: energy weapons, body mod, and Exoskeletons would have the second step decreased to +1. I don't see anything speaking against it. Would go in the spirit of mitigating multiple-step techs which overly bend the countering/bonus system.

For the human engines : it kinda seems stupid that the first step now doesn't give anything at all. I have an idea : how about this step improves the speed of vehicles moving through forest, from 50% to 75%? Imo a nice little edge without too much impact.
Midonik

Re: Balance all 3-step techs

Post by Midonik »

Splitting them as you suggest seems right, but I wouldn't decrease the total amount gained. So energy weapons, exosceletons and body modifications would give +1 +1 +3 instead of +1 +2 +2. Does that seem fair?

For the human engines : it kinda seems stupid that the first step now doesn't give anything at all. I have an idea : how about this step improves the speed of vehicles moving through forest, from 50% to 75%? Imo a nice little edge without too much impact.
Impossible due to engine limitations. I've tried other things too (like partial speeds) but they don't work either. I'm not happy with the way it is either.
Support new AoS variant, Age of Galaxy: http://ageofstrategy.net/viewforum.php? ... 608408ebc8
All help will be welcome.
kingofgalaxies

Post by kingofgalaxies »

Midonik wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:12 pm Splitting them as you suggest seems right, but I wouldn't decrease the total amount gained. So energy weapons, exosceletons and body modifications would give +1 +1 +3 instead of +1 +2 +2. Does that seem fair?
How about a compromise: Energy weapons get +1 +1 +2, while the other two get as you say +1 +1 +3?
I really disapprove of a total of +5 energy dmg given to the vast majority of rep units (+4 total would be enough). As the affect pool is very large, the value should be mitigated.
Impossible due to engine limitations. I've tried other things too (like partial speeds) but they don't work either. I'm not happy with the way it is either.
Wdym engine limitations, I'm curious? Is it not possible to increase the movement speed percentage in a certain terrain through a tech?
Midonik

Post by Midonik »

Nerfing the weapons tech seems like a different issue. Make a new topic.

Wdym engine limitations, I'm curious? Is it not possible to increase the movement speed percentage in a certain terrain through a tech?

Yes. Well, not quite. Its impossible to me, as I dont code the game, only mod it using json files (they just store data, its not code). It would be possible to make that happen for the dev, stratego, but it might be a lot of work and there are other priorities for him. Im limited to what can be done with jsons.

If I had a dolar for every time I explain this...
Support new AoS variant, Age of Galaxy: http://ageofstrategy.net/viewforum.php? ... 608408ebc8
kingofgalaxies

Post by kingofgalaxies »

Thank you so much for taking the time!

@Stratego (dev) What do you think of this?
For the human engines : it kinda seems stupid that the first step now doesn't give anything at all. I have an idea : how about this step improves the speed of vehicles moving through forest, from 50% to 75%?
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

first of all i am disagreeing with this:
Others give the increased value already on the second step. This is illogical
races MUST be different in as many aspects as we can imagine, and intentionally making them similar in any aspect is wrong way.

seems stupid that the first step now doesn't give anything at all
option a) this can be a fair request, i suggest putting there +0.5 speed and in second also +0.5 speed.
option b) i am not sure it can be set to change the speed only on forest (so chagning affinity values by tech) - maybe you could an a experienced modder Endru/Savra/Harchie
kingofgalaxies

Post by kingofgalaxies »

@Endru1241 ^
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

kingofgalaxies wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:10 pm For the human engines : it kinda seems stupid that the first step now doesn't give anything at all. I have an idea : how about this step improves the speed of vehicles moving through forest, from 50% to 75%? Imo a nice little edge without too much impact.
Just as Midonik already mentioned - impossible.

First and foremost limitation is, that trnWalkTerrain (and in effect - real walkTerrain property derived from that) is not applied as property changer.
If it cannot be applied, then - there is no way to change it.

There is few special effects - forestwalk, mountainwalk that grant unit affected full movement, but those wouldn't be possible to be added by tech. Plus - they would give 100% movement, not 75%.
Age of Strategy design leader
Midonik

Post by Midonik »

option a) this can be a fair request, i suggest putting there +0.5 speed and in second also +0.5 speed.
Are you sure that works? Cause I tried it.

Return to “Archive”