Unity version - carrier & factory dialog (Tc or other)

Post Reply
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin
Posts: 14413
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:28 pm

Unity version - carrier & factory dialog (Tc or other)

Post by Stratego (dev) » Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:29 pm

Now i started to make this, anyone has ideas what to change?
i am starting to make the current appearance (but please post here any idea for change)

so current is:
carrier:
- has image and name of carrier unit (eg. wagon)
- has 1..6 slots shown (if unit in it then filled)

factories
- has image and name of carrier unit (eg. wagon)
- has 1..6 slots shown (if unit in it then filled)
- also two production "slot"s (current and next) - and textings about turns left
and some other spec things like steal tech button in special cases.


both cases
- the carrided nit can be draggeed into each other (eg. into a wagon in a castle)
- the carrided nit can be draggeed onto the building meaning to go up one level in the carry hierarchy.

---------------------
new ideas:
- Units with production: I would like to make cancel production button
- when you press or touch to drag a unit in a slot, all possible target places will get highlighted (the level up on carrier, or other carrier in this carrier) maybe others can also be hghlighted but with red indicating wrong target.

Midonik
Posts: 5077
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:27 pm
Location: Poland

Re: Unity version - carrier & factory dialog (Tc or other)

Post by Midonik » Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:22 pm

- the carrided nit can be draggeed into each other (eg. into a wagon in a castle)
- the carrided nit can be draggeed onto the building meaning to go up one level in the carry hierarchy

I feel like these are not that intuitive. Maybe if there was a button to represent it would be more obvious.
Support new AoS variant, Age of Galaxy: http://ageofstrategy.net/viewforum.php? ... 608408ebc8
All help will be welcome.

Stratego (dev)
Site Admin
Posts: 14413
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:28 pm

Re: Unity version - carrier & factory dialog (Tc or other)

Post by Stratego (dev) » Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:35 pm

i see, how the button should look and work?
thanks!

Midonik
Posts: 5077
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:27 pm
Location: Poland

Re: Unity version - carrier & factory dialog (Tc or other)

Post by Midonik » Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:29 pm

Maybe you can click on a unit and have arrows to move it up or down the target priority list and also one to move it out of the carriee (an exit like button?)

but currently if u lick on unit you quit from popup window and u have it selected so you can move - should we lose that?
Support new AoS variant, Age of Galaxy: http://ageofstrategy.net/viewforum.php? ... 608408ebc8
All help will be welcome.

User avatar
makazuwr32
Posts: 7632
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:29 am
Location: Moscow, Russia

Re: Unity version - carrier & factory dialog (Tc or other)

Post by makazuwr32 » Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:45 pm

1. Units with production: There was an idea for second line of production.
Is it possible to add?

For example first production will be units and secondary techs.
Or first will allow to produce basic units and second elite units.

Might require some specific type of factory to show second line of production.

2. Units with production: I would like to make cancel production button to be easier targetable. Not a message "cancel production" but an actual button. And slightly bigger one.

3. Both units with production and simple carriers: Some structures can provide for units heal rate and/or some buffs (for example elven outpost can provide vision effect for units inside).
I think it will be good to show heal rate of building and icons of effects it provides inside gui.

4. This might be more like my personal request since i hate usage of waypoints for units.
Please add option to forcibly disable waypoints for yourself. So that annoying button will not be shown anymore. (This also must affect that waypoint button in the menu above unit where you have stop unit, kill unit, waipoint and info about unit)
makazuwr32 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 am
When you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Image

User avatar
makazuwr32
Posts: 7632
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:29 am
Location: Moscow, Russia

Re: Unity version - carrier & factory dialog (Tc or other)

Post by makazuwr32 » Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:58 pm

Midonik wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:29 pm
Maybe you can click on a unit and have arrows to move it up or down the target priority list and also one to move it out of the carriee (an exit like button?)
I must admit that moving unit from carrier (castle) to another carrier (wagon) must not be automatic i think. Since there might be situation when there are more than 1 carrier to choose where to enter. So those buttons to enter for unit you choose must be shown for all possible carriers inside "castle" (or whatever that unit/building is) where this unit may enter.

There also might be situations when there are multiple carriers but not all of them can be entered by unit. For example siege unit in aof — it can't enter wagons but can enter some ships.
makazuwr32 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 am
When you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Image

Stratego (dev)
Site Admin
Posts: 14413
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:28 pm

Re: Unity version - carrier & factory dialog (Tc or other)

Post by Stratego (dev) » Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:20 pm

1. Units with production: There was an idea for second line of production.
Is it possible to add?

For example first production will be units and secondary techs.
Or first will allow to produce basic units and second elite units.

Might require some specific type of factory to show second line of production.
this is some very new mechanism, to have a "double" factory, we dont have that in andorid version so we can not have it here now.
so here only suggest visual and ui handling differences, not core mechanism changes -thanks!

Stratego (dev)
Site Admin
Posts: 14413
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:28 pm

Re: Unity version - carrier & factory dialog (Tc or other)

Post by Stratego (dev) » Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:20 pm

2. Units with production: I would like to make cancel production button to be easier targetable. Not a message "cancel production" but an actual button. And slightly bigger one.
this can be, i will make.
i listed in first post as new idea to put in.

Stratego (dev)
Site Admin
Posts: 14413
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:28 pm

Re: Unity version - carrier & factory dialog (Tc or other)

Post by Stratego (dev) » Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:22 pm

I think it will be good to show heal rate of building and icons of effects it provides inside gui.
i am not sure, this is a general "unit help" thingie - others you also think it is good here?
(in general i dont want a crowded view, i try to make a clean minimalistic one)

Stratego (dev)
Site Admin
Posts: 14413
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:28 pm

Re: Unity version - carrier & factory dialog (Tc or other)

Post by Stratego (dev) » Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:23 pm

Please add option to forcibly disable waypoints for yourself
if you dont like dont press it, why would u need this special option? is it ugly or something? why is it annoying?

Stratego (dev)
Site Admin
Posts: 14413
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:28 pm

Re: Unity version - carrier & factory dialog (Tc or other)

Post by Stratego (dev) » Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:25 pm

makazuwr32 wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:58 pm
Midonik wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:29 pm
Maybe you can click on a unit and have arrows to move it up or down the target priority list and also one to move it out of the carriee (an exit like button?)
I must admit that moving unit from carrier (castle) to another carrier (wagon) must not be automatic i think. Since there might be situation when there are more than 1 carrier to choose where to enter. So those buttons to enter for unit you choose must be shown for all possible carriers inside "castle" (or whatever that unit/building is) where this unit may enter.

There also might be situations when there are multiple carriers but not all of them can be entered by unit. For example siege unit in aof — it can't enter wagons but can enter some ships.
i think you misunderstand here something
when it is about going "up" on hierarchy that is exact where to
when it is going down into a carrier also exact where to

User avatar
b2198
Posts: 565
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:48 pm
Location: Brazil

Re: Unity version - carrier & factory dialog (Tc or other)

Post by b2198 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:26 am

Midonik wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:22 pm
- the carrided nit can be draggeed into each other (eg. into a wagon in a castle)
- the carrided nit can be draggeed onto the building meaning to go up one level in the carry hierarchy

I feel like these are not that intuitive. Maybe if there was a button to represent it would be more obvious.
I agree on the second one, took me a good half a year to notice that was a thing, I think highlighting that button and other carriers while dragging a unit could help a lot to improve that.
Green is the correct color, other colors are "less correct".

User avatar
makazuwr32
Posts: 7632
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:29 am
Location: Moscow, Russia

Re: Unity version - carrier & factory dialog (Tc or other)

Post by makazuwr32 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:45 am

Stratego (dev) wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:23 pm
Please add option to forcibly disable waypoints for yourself
if you dont like dont press it, why would u need this special option? is it ugly or something? why is it annoying?
Problem is that you may sometimes misclick and press onto those buttons.
makazuwr32 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 am
When you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Image

User avatar
makazuwr32
Posts: 7632
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:29 am
Location: Moscow, Russia

Re: Unity version - carrier & factory dialog (Tc or other)

Post by makazuwr32 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:47 am

Stratego (dev) wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:22 pm
I think it will be good to show heal rate of building and icons of effects it provides inside gui.
i am not sure, this is a general "unit help" thingie - others you also think it is good here?
(in general i dont want a crowded view, i try to make a clean minimalistic one)
Well heal rate might not be that important but effects' icons i'd say will not be that crowded.
Ofc we must limit it to some number (2-4 at most) and rest of 'em will still be hidden.
makazuwr32 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 am
When you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Image

Stratego (dev)
Site Admin
Posts: 14413
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:28 pm

Re: Unity version - carrier & factory dialog (Tc or other)

Post by Stratego (dev) » Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:21 am

makazuwr32 wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:47 am
Stratego (dev) wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:22 pm
I think it will be good to show heal rate of building and icons of effects it provides inside gui.
i am not sure, this is a general "unit help" thingie - others you also think it is good here?
(in general i dont want a crowded view, i try to make a clean minimalistic one)
Well heal rate might not be that important but effects' icons i'd say will not be that crowded.
Ofc we must limit it to some number (2-4 at most) and rest of 'em will still be hidden.
i am still not sure (also showing not all also not good imho) - others? what u think?

Stratego (dev)
Site Admin
Posts: 14413
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:28 pm

Re: Unity version - carrier & factory dialog (Tc or other)

Post by Stratego (dev) » Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:22 am

b2198 wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:26 am
Midonik wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:22 pm
- the carrided nit can be draggeed into each other (eg. into a wagon in a castle)
- the carrided nit can be draggeed onto the building meaning to go up one level in the carry hierarchy

I feel like these are not that intuitive. Maybe if there was a button to represent it would be more obvious.
I agree on the second one, took me a good half a year to notice that was a thing, I think highlighting that button and other carriers while dragging a unit could help a lot to improve that.
I see so when you start dragging all possible targets got highlighted? ok i write this one to first post.

User avatar
b2198
Posts: 565
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:48 pm
Location: Brazil

Re: Unity version - carrier & factory dialog (Tc or other)

Post by b2198 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:22 am

Stratego (dev) wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:21 am
makazuwr32 wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:47 am
Well heal rate might not be that important but effects' icons i'd say will not be that crowded.
Ofc we must limit it to some number (2-4 at most) and rest of 'em will still be hidden.
i am still not sure (also showing not all also not good imho) - others? what u think?
Hm, I think that could be a good indicative that that specific carrier can or cannot heal units inside, probably good to also show it for mending carried. In both cases, maybe only show it if the unit in question has those stats different from 0 (not sure if it already exists in a variant, but one might want to make a negative healing for carried units, so != 0 would make more sense for those cases instead of > 0).

Though I also have my doubts if that wouldn't be cluttering the UI too much. Is the new dialog for them visually the same as in current version?
Green is the correct color, other colors are "less correct".

Stratego (dev)
Site Admin
Posts: 14413
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:28 pm

Re: Unity version - carrier & factory dialog (Tc or other)

Post by Stratego (dev) » Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:25 am

b2198 wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:22 am
Is the new dialog for them visually the same as in current version?
yes and no: this topic if ment to change it if needed, currently i started the same visual - but in a little bigger dialog window to have a little more space

User avatar
makazuwr32
Posts: 7632
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:29 am
Location: Moscow, Russia

Re: Unity version - carrier & factory dialog (Tc or other)

Post by makazuwr32 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:40 am

Actually i like that idea of showing that building can heal or mend even more. Just if it can heal or can't. That alone is enough, no need for actual values — you can look those in stat sheet of unit.
makazuwr32 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 am
When you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Image

Stratego (dev)
Site Admin
Posts: 14413
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:28 pm

Re: Unity version - carrier & factory dialog (Tc or other)

Post by Stratego (dev) » Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:15 am

ok but where to put it?

i am here now with my draft
Image

User avatar
makazuwr32
Posts: 7632
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:29 am
Location: Moscow, Russia

Re: Unity version - carrier & factory dialog (Tc or other)

Post by makazuwr32 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:28 pm

Exactly where did you put heal/mend rates is good placement but i'd say enough to place "+" similar to heal ability of priests if building has healing and icon similar to hammer from ambidextria if building has mending.
And ": X", where X is heal/mend rate.
makazuwr32 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 am
When you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Image

Stratego (dev)
Site Admin
Posts: 14413
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:28 pm

Re: Unity version - carrier & factory dialog (Tc or other)

Post by Stratego (dev) » Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:24 am

This view is totally needs a redesign or rearrangement, as currenly only bunch of buttons placed here and there (naturally not all buttons appear always)

Image


if u have any idea how to make this view look better, where to put which button and thingie, please write.

also this view have a form for wagons too where all production related thing is missing - so big empty dialog, i assume it is enough if i make the dialog smaller that case, or tell me any other idea if u have.

Post Reply

Return to “Unity version workbench”