Human skin (idk name) IMPLEMENTED

Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Re: Human skin (idk name)

Post by Stratego (dev) »

these are very nice!
i wanted to put in now

can you make the image names being same as current units?
also sizes needs checkeing if same sized as current (eg. 32x32 or 32x64 in game than on skin should be same - or i can make current unit image bigger if needed i just need to know which units)
DreJaDe

Post by DreJaDe »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:52 am i can make current unit image bigger if needed i just need to know which units)
For future skins, I think this would be good.
Stratego (dev) wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:52 am can you make the image names being same as current units?
Cant sry

I did name then closely based on whats in game so i dont think there would be confusion.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

there is always confusion, on blossom elves i could only put in partially because of "confusions".
also can take about 10x time asking about it in several emails and waiting for answers.
so i need to allocate more time to put in that case and that is rare i have that for skins as i have many many coding time requirement (on unity, on android too),

however i would love to put in all works i see here on forum. (i see now 8-10 topics about, and i am sure there are others that are not yet collected here)

so in general on skinning please i suggest to name and size images as current images, so no extra hassle to rename and re-match and re-check the sizes again and again on each skin
(i always felt on starting the drawing it is not extra time, surely not if the artist start from the existing image that case the image name and size is already there)

(about size i can make the in game one to be bigger (updating all references and definitions too, and even the existing skins..)
- just i need a list which units are 32x32 now and you need them to be 32x64 (hopefully only few needed as this is also time costly)

-----------------
but ok, if you can not rename and check atm, i will do it with these in this topic when i have little more time for it.
DreJaDe

Post by DreJaDe »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:02 am (i feel on starting the drawing it is not extra time, surely not if the artist start from the existing image)
I think endru once ask me this but just to be sure... I used my own images for edit and not from the game files. I dont really have them anymore
Stratego (dev) wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:02 am - just i need a list which units are 32x32 now and you need them to be 32x64 (hopefully only few needed as this is also time costly
Yeah, problem here for me is I dont really know which has height of 32 and 64. If I can get a list of human units then maybe I can rename mine for you to what's ingame with those "_" for spaces.. I think I still have most of these units on my files.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

awesome you are!
i send you all image files in game (in email) and you can see the image names and the sizes (on name the capital letter also not permitted, so i suggest copy+paste the original filename so you can avoid typos).
and if you can send me the whole skinpack in a zip in email i can put in quickly.
thanks!
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

added this remark:
"i suggest copy+paste the original filename so you can avoid typos"
DreJaDe

Post by DreJaDe »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:21 am awesome you are!
i send you all image files in game (in email) and you can see the image names and the sizes (on name the capital letter also not permitted, so i suggest copy+paste the original filename so you can avoid typos).
and if you can send me the whole skinpack here in a zip in email i can put in quickly.
thanks!
All of them?
So I still need to look for then 1by1?...
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

it is needed, but if you can not i will do it when i have time.
-----------------------------------------
yes the needed things:
1. need to rename one by one to proper filename
2. check image size (hopefully ok)
but if image pixel size not ok:
2/a: than trying to shrink/extend the new skin image to be same the size (if skin is 32x32 but needs to be 64x32 than extend, if skin 64x32 but in game 32px than shrink)
2/a: OR if skin image must be bigger than 32px, than putting the unit name in an email asking me to update image size in game (so i will update all images, existing skins, jsons about the unit to be 64x32 so the skin can fit in)
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

so this is why i suggest for future: this whole re-matching can be avoided if you start drawing from the unit image itself where you see the size and you use the good filename from the start, so i suggest this way as this whole re-matching will not be needed ever again.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

meanwhile i have java coded that the separate building images (normal and occupied) can also be skinned.
so i placed the pink tree images you made in game already using the new code.
(i am stil debugging it though as in cosmetics section they appear doubled but hopefully i find the problem soon)
DreJaDe

Post by DreJaDe »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:38 am so this is why i suggest for future: this whole re-matching can be avoided if you start drawing from the unit image itself where you see the size and you use the good filename from the start, so i suggest this way as this whole re-matching will not be needed ever again.
From my perspective... This is just bad and harder in many cases.

One example is consistency with the other skin. Even if I just copy paste from my original to the ingame image before editing then it would just be mostly be the same.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

nooo, you misunderstood!

you can delete ALL pixels from old image and start from scratch! the important is file name and image pixel size!
so i totally AGREE, a good skin is TOTALLY different than in game one, i talked about only the image size and image name.

so what i mean in steps if i draw a skin:
0. i plan to draw an elf archer
1. i go into in-game images library and search the elf archer
2. i copy the image into a new folder (eg. "Clumsy elves")
3. i open the image with my image editor
4. i select all pixels and delete
5. i start designing the new unit to the empty image (i can also use another unit image i already drew in "clumsy elves" directory, but with copy paste the imagepixels from that image into this image)
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:41 am meanwhile i have java coded that the separate building images (normal and occupied) can also be skinned.
so i placed the pink tree images you made in game already using the new code.
(i am stil debugging it though as in cosmetics section they appear doubled but hopefully i find the problem soon)
one important about building image names: the occupied image should be called _occ
so eg:
normal image: unit_und_bld_soulforge.png
and
occupied image: unit_und_bld_soulforge_occ.png

(eventually i will change all building images to be named like this, and also to be in separate image - as several units currently have in one combined image despite that way is obsolete.)
DreJaDe

Post by DreJaDe »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:50 am nooo, you misunderstood!

you can delete ALL pixels from old image and start from scratch! the important is file name and image pixel size!
so i totally AGREE, a good skin is TOTALLY different than in game one, i talked about only the image size and image name.

so what i mean in steps if i draw a skin:
0. i plan to draw an elf archer
1. i go into in-game images library and search the elf archer
2. i copy the image into a new folder (eg. "Clumsy elves")
3. i open the image with my image editor
4. i select all pixels and delete
5. i start designing the new unit to the empty image (i can also use another unit image i already drew in "clumsy elves" directory, but with copy paste the imagepixels from that image into this image)
like I said... thats so much harder for me..

what I do is pretty simple
1. Open a reference in pixel app
2. Edit to new
3. Save them then repeat 2 (this is for next sprite)

though im already mostly done with renaming... btw cant do the check for size. Im using phone so I will have to manually check every image just to see if they are 32px or not. Thats torture.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

i know it is torture :(
i feel the same when i put in any skinpacks :)

that is why i suggested the above how to start on new images, this torture would not be needed ever again.

for this case if you have no power to make the size comparisons than send me the renamed ones and i will check the sizes (and i will make the image adjustments if needed)
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

also what pixel app u use the "pixly" ?
DreJaDe

Post by DreJaDe »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:50 am also what pixel app u use the "pixly" ?
yes, and sent the file to you with renamed sprites
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

thanks!

Return to “Archive — Skins for AoF”