Idea: Damage taken rate stat

makazuwr32

Idea: Damage taken rate stat

Post by makazuwr32 »

We have heal rate on units which affects amount of healing they receive from other units.

So why not add similar stat for damage taken?

Will work completely same way but for damage taken from all scources instead of healing.

Will be useful for some berserker abilities which must increase damage taken of unit or for some buffs and debuffs which may increase/decrease damage taken for specific unit.

@Stratego (dev)
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Re: Idea: Damage taken rate stat

Post by Stratego (dev) »

such changes would only be in unity version.

also this one seems too specific to me, also not so versatile, eg. on all damage or in cases only for blunt damage, or for pierce damage or for megical damage?

also would increase complexity (not clear to player what damage will be dealt without more throughout research of units and more complex quick calcualtions before attacking)
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:04 am such changes would only be in unity version.

also this one seems too specific to me, also not so versatile, eg. on all damage or in cases only for blunt damage, or for pierce damage or for megical damage?

also would increase complexity (not clear to player what damage will be dealt without more throughout research of units and more complex quick calcualtions before attacking)
All types of damage taken. From all scources.
As for "more complex" — depending on usage. Personally i want to use this only on few limited amount of units who have sort of berserker state (or something similar) — when they use ability of their they will get increased by ×1.5 damage.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

makazuwr32 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:55 am
Stratego (dev) wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:04 am such changes would only be in unity version.

All types of damage taken. From all scources.
As for "more complex" — depending on usage. Personally i want to use this only on few limited amount of units who have sort of berserker state (or something similar) — when they use ability of their they will get increased by ×1.5 damage.
There is possibility to make something similar in current engine.

You can use old regular ENCHANTMENT_VANISHING with "hpMaxPercent":0.66667 in EFFECT_AFFECT.
Looks different, but should work basically the same.
I only tested it for increase of hp max, but reversal works correctly, so it should work.
In theory - hp would immediately be decreased to 2/3 of current (so effectively increasing damage taken by +50%) and after ending it should go to the same percentage of original maxHP.
To make it not get more heals - bonus healing could be set to appropriate value too (0.66667 in case it had 1.0 normally).
Age of Strategy design leader
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

The thing is that i need not direct hp increase or decrease but increase or decrease in damage they take.

For example i have in plans ogre berserker who will have 300 hp. If i will follow your idea than it will get when uses ability -100 hp right away which is a bit too much. While it might get from enemy attacks even 1-2 damage (for example if it will get extra armor from abilities and was attacked by low powered units).
Another thing is that this must affect poison, burning and other non-physical damage types. For example normally 10 poison effects deal 100 damage but if unit in berserker state (planned one) than it will receive 150 damage.

Another idea i had for this specification is damage reduction effect.
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

It's still equivalent.
Full hp of 300/300 would become 200/200, recieve only part of the damage exceeding armor and exactly effect damage "multiplied", e.g. two arrow attacks which only deal 1 damage each and 30 damage from some effect, finishing with 168/200 after effect end would have 168/200*300=252 hp.
So effectively 32 damage became 48 - exactly 50% increase.

It's already confirmed to work like that with increase of hp.
Winged Hussar hp of 40/40 becomes 52/52 with +30% max hp of strenghtening herbs, which practically works like global ~23% damage decrease.
2 turns of poison with 4 damage + 3 attacks of fortress would be
4*2+3*(6-2)= 20 damage.
But under strenghtening herbs it gets 20 damage from 52 max hp, so 32/52, which after effect ends would become 24/40 (or 25/40, not sure about rounding), so 16 damage (20% decrease ).
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

I do not like to use % max hp changing temporary effects (specifically effects alas) except when it is actually nessesary (and aof i think does not has any actual effects which use % based max hp changers — we have 1 ability which deals damage % of max hp but it does not change max hp itself) and also it is workaround which is not good as for me.

I understand your idea and it is not too bad but question:
1. I had in plans ability that will give 100% damage resistance to unit so... How high hp increase must be in this case? ×1e3? ×1e10? ×1e1000?
2. I have in plans absorbtion effects which will increase hp by a fixed amount for some time (and reduce after effect ends) so problem arises here is to how this absorbtion effect and % based hp changing would work. If you will increase hp of dog with 20 hp by 100 via absorbtion and than use ability that negates 50% damage (so extra +50% max hp) than when both effects will vanish how many hp will have this unit? 20+100=120; 120*1.5=180; than... 180-100=80? Or 180-150=30? If first case than this will allow to permanently increase hp of unit which is not good.
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

1. True - my idea doesn't allow real 100%.
2. It's also obvious you should never mix +maxHp with %maxHp.
Although I am not sure your idea would work like desired.
On effect end current hp = Math.max(1, floor(currHp / oldMaxHp * newHp)), so in the end - it's exactly the same as percentage increase, only presented in different way.
+100 maxHp won't give absorption of 100 damage, but rather maxHp/(maxHp+100) decrease of damage.
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

Endru1241 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:06 pm 1. True - my idea doesn't allow real 100%.
2. It's also obvious you should never mix +maxHp with %maxHp.
Although I am not sure your idea would work like desired.
On effect end current hp = Math.max(1, floor(currHp / oldMaxHp * newHp)), so in the end - it's exactly the same as percentage increase, only presented in different way.
+100 maxHp won't give absorption of 100 damage, but rather maxHp/(maxHp+100) decrease of damage.
2. That is better than nothing.
Perfectly is to get second "health bar" via this ability that must be nullified before you can damage unit itself but i do not think it is possible.
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader

Return to “Ask questions here”