Scoped Storage Adaptations

Hyacintho

Scoped Storage Adaptations

Post by Hyacintho »

Hello!

I am running Android 11 on my tablet, and as a result I am using the new "scoped storage" model for system files. This model has completely restricted all access to the data files in the Android folder on my tablet, and seems to have made modding impossible as a result. The Total Commander File Manager app does have access to these restricted files, but since modding is run through the Ao(F,S,WW) app, I am unable to use them for modding.

I was wondering if anyone would have an answer to this problem of mine (specifically a way to grant the Age of (Fantasy) app internal storage access, which I theorize is the source of the problem), or if not, by what methods have you managed to navigate the new storage system on Android 11 so as to be able to run modded versions of the game?
Thanks!
Maxbirykov2004

Re: Scoped Storage Adaptations

Post by Maxbirykov2004 »

Hyacintho wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:28 am Hello!

I am running Android 11 on my tablet, and as a result I am using the new "scoped storage" model for system files. This model has completely restricted all access to the data files in the Android folder on my tablet, and seems to have made modding impossible as a result. The Total Commander File Manager app does have access to these restricted files, but since modding is run through the Ao(F,S,WW) app, I am unable to use them for modding.

I was wondering if anyone would have an answer to this problem of mine (specifically a way to grant the Age of (Fantasy) app internal storage access, which I theorize is the source of the problem), or if not, by what methods have you managed to navigate the new storage system on Android 11 so as to be able to run modded versions of the game?
Thanks!
I also have Android 11 on my phone, and modding isnt really hard, i cant unzip file into Android folder so, i unzip it into foreign folder (Download-->Aod) then i copy all assets to right place (Android-->Data-->Ztscom...) and then i can mod it...

Anyway, i gived my explorer some permissions, thats i can easily change data... Maybe you should only give some permissions?
L4cus

Post by L4cus »

its just about permissions. another way could be oppening the assets from the app with total comander (there is an option to open assets using certain apps)
Extra ecclesiam nulla salus...
AOD, a new variant...
viewforum.php?f=230
Hyacintho

Post by Hyacintho »

Thanks! I do use Total Commander to open the assets, but even though Total Commander has all necessary permissions granted I am still restricted from the data folder when using AoF to open the assets, even through Total Commander. I'll keep experimenting though. If you two found a way to work with scoped storage, then there must be a way for me as well.
L4cus

Post by L4cus »

Permissions for the aof app...
Extra ecclesiam nulla salus...
AOD, a new variant...
viewforum.php?f=230
Hyacintho

Post by Hyacintho »

That's the problem, I have granted AoF every permission listed by the device. It's just that there is no permission listed for Full Storage Access on my device. There is a permission for Media acess, which I have granted, but no option for Full Storage.
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

I got my phone upgraded to android 11 and faced the same issue.
There is few options, as far as I know:
- making app ask for special one time permission (not sure if it wouldn't ask every time)
- making app have WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission and preserveLegacyExternalStorage=true in app manifest at the time of installation (or upgrade to android 11), which is DISALLOWED by Google Play Store
- making app have MANAGE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission and on android settings change additional permissions to have all files chosen, but Google is commonly giving warnings if it's used: "app's usage of the permission does not fall within permitted uses for core functionality of the app"
They allow it only for file managers or apps, that needs file managing for some important functionality.
- Possibly some option to make app have accessible part in Android/data/packagename (com.zts.ageofstrategy in case of AoS), but I have no idea how (I saw that in game app EventHorizon, that has some modding options)

All of them needs some changes to the app by the dev.
E.g. AoS dev version is specially prepared to allow such access. Apparently we need it for AoF too.

@Stratego (dev), here are other people with Android 11 file access problem.
Age of Strategy design leader
Hyacintho

Post by Hyacintho »

Hello @Stratego (dev) !

I apologize for my extended absence, I ran into this problem discussed above and that put a screeching halt on my plans to volunteer some work for AoF. Would you be able to help me navigate this issue? I still haven't found a resolution.

Thanks!

Return to “Ask questions here”