Need help about pixel art

Things that do not fit any other section
KingOfTheSilverlands

Need help about pixel art

Post by KingOfTheSilverlands »

I was making skin packs and trying to improve myself but i can't draw good.So i need some tips and tricks about this.I'm gonna put some of my works here for example.
Attachments
External (4).png
External (4).png (1.55 KiB) Viewed 522 times
32_unit_elf_fast_archer.png
32_unit_elf_fast_archer.png (1.39 KiB) Viewed 522 times
unit_elf_glade_guardian_galadhrim_skin (2) (3) (2) (2).png
unit_elf_glade_guardian_galadhrim_skin (2) (3) (2) (2).png (1.16 KiB) Viewed 525 times
64_unit_elf_unicorn_archer.png
64_unit_elf_unicorn_archer.png (1.74 KiB) Viewed 526 times
unit_elf_glade_vanguard_galadhrim_skin (5) (2) (2) (2) (2) (2) (2).png
unit_elf_glade_vanguard_galadhrim_skin (5) (2) (2) (2) (2) (2) (2).png (1.23 KiB) Viewed 527 times
The lifeless eyes of cold corpses greeted the King while the wind blew his silver hair.
Hyuhjhih
Location: Earth, (the part of blue ball and is named India for some reasons)

Re: Need help about pixel art

Post by Hyuhjhih »

First of all, i would suggest you to practice giving clear outline in each and every element the image has. For example, the crowns, hair, sword,....

Use lighter skin tones as far as possible, so the units will look good when in game. Even if the unit is to be dark as black , a small lighter shading overall will make the skin contrasting from the body.

The stances you chose is good. Special appreciation.

The shading can be done is too ways, gradient and simple contrast.
In gradient, you can first make the image in base color and use overlapping shades with much transparency, so it can give a nice lighting .
In simple contrast, you can choose a base color, 2 or 3 darker and lighter shades of the same color, and periodically apply the shaded color according to the ambient lighting.

Last, try to add a shadow suitable for the unit, possibly in left side, with low transparency.
LIE = Love Is Eternal.

Design leader of the variants Age of Gods and Age Of Civilization, and live heartedly contributing to AoS.

AoC discord server is up AoC
Anchar

Re: Need help about pixel art

Post by Anchar »

Well I can write that:
look at your images as critically as possible, do not be satisfied with a tolerable option, do not be afraid to experiment, make a copy of the image next to the original and try to change something comparing with the original, even just random displacements of parts of the image can give an unexpectedly good result, imagine what you want to draw in your imagination and stick to it (however, if the result is better, then you can step back from your imagination), if your imagination lets you down or you cannot imagine how to depict something, look in google pictures arts.

When I personally draw something, first of all, I first make the outline with black color, then I start filling the colors (I fill it not very well), all images in the game should have a black outline so as not to merge with the terrain; outline tip: try to make as few corners as possible (preferably without them at all) if you do, then change the pixel on the corner from black to gray or another dark shade.

If there are problems, then as a last resort you can download images from Google and compress them to 32 or 64 and you will have an approximate outline, but it will still need to be polished and painted over; you can also tear off pieces (arms, legs, torso, head) from existing images and make someone else out of them, or attach them to your image. Also, I always create a copy of an image that is approximately satisfactory at its stage in order to return to it later if my experiments failed.

Also look at your image under different sizes, often being large they seem good to you, but it is worth reducing them to the size of the game and you notice that they are far from so good, do not be lazy to fix them.

Return to “Others”