Planes Crashing/Vanishing ANSWERED

Harchie Hirondo

Planes Crashing/Vanishing ANSWERED

Post by Harchie Hirondo »

I would like planes to vanish or crash after some turns. Let's say around 6 turns for an average jet fighter plane. If they are running out of fuel, (more than 1 turn left before vanishing), they should go to an airport or airstrip to refuel and maybe to repair too. Every turn that the plane remains in an airport or airstrip, the plane gains a + 1 turn before vanishing (ex. A plane has 3 turns left before crashing. The next turn, it would have 4 turns left before vanishing, and the next turn, 5 and so on...)
This is because, it is unrealistic to have planes flying over the map non-stop, except if the enemy has an anti-air defense or unit built.
This would also make planes more tactical in use, and to prevent plane spam.
Do you agree with this, or no?
The war is inevitable! But what if....
Jasondunkel

Re: Planes Crashing/Vanishing

Post by Jasondunkel »

basically this idea is good. would then also stand out well from woww .
question would be whether we do that with fuel then also for tanks.

with the tanks you could then also add fuel trucks

at the later industry lvl you can then also add again fuel planes so that the air refueling works

here would be now the question whether stratego would like that at all.
TrueSlav

Post by TrueSlav »

Jasondunkel wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:01 am basically this idea is good. would then also stand out well from woww .
question would be whether we do that with fuel then also for tanks.

with the tanks you could then also add fuel trucks

at the later industry lvl you can then also add again fuel planes so that the air refueling works

here would be now the question whether stratego would like that at all.
I don't think tanks should be bound to fuel, planes for sure, but not ground vehicles.
Support the new project set in the 1850s to the 1930s.
Forum link:
viewforum.php?f=359
Discord link:
https://discord.gg/BwnPATZtfr
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

I already said to this idea that is must not be in.
this kills some joy of the game - and exactly doubles micromanagement for planes.

so no fuel in any of the games. sorry :(

this does not mean there can no be vanishing unit - but only a few special case (eg i heard some ballisic missile planned) - but it can not be as a general thing, eg: for all planes / helicopters.
Harchie Hirondo

Re: Planes Crashing/Vanishing ANSWERED

Okay...
How about this idea from TrueSlav instead...
Airports will have a radius of about 6-8 turns where planes can operate freely(their vanishing won't countdown). When planes go out of that radius, planes' vanishing countdown starts. To refuel, they'll need to go in the airport where the number of turns before vanishing will increase by 1 per turn on the airport or airstrip.

We don't want AoMW to be very similar to AoW or kind of like a reskin. Plus, plane usage are supposed to be temporary. When playing other similar games, you shall find that planes are only used for a short time(e.g. air strikes).
I have also found some Google Play reviews of AoW of how "unstoppable" bombers are. Plus, in many cases of the games in AoW, there is likely to be a plane spam which makes building/producing an AA unit or defense is a must.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

AOW: that was earlier - now i think planes is not a way to get tru anymore, ask the AOW pro-s.
and no, sorry, the whole fuel thing is a nightmare, trust me, i know - only hardcore strategists like fuelling and not all players like that and i want all AO* games for everyone not only for the pro strategists.
Harchie Hirondo

The fueling shall only apply on planes and maybe other special units.
Fuel on tanks and other units will become harder to manage, so it shall only apply on planes and not on the tanks too.
But okay, I'll ask the pros of AoW too...
And by the way, here are some players' responses on this idea:
DreJade actually doesn't like the vanishing since according to him, anti-air missiles can decimate them.
TrueSlav said that aircraft shall have an operational range, and if they go out of that range, they'll slowly vanish.(His suggestion was stated above)
As planes should be more tactical in usage. In addition to that, aircraft carriers can also "refuel" planes.
Gruppenfuhrer Erwin supports this vanishing, but I still don't know his reason.
Shark guy 35

Post by Shark guy 35 »

I kind of have mixed feelings about this. It is true to real life, but on the other hand, it might make the game kind of hard.
"A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week".
-General George S. Patton
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

Harchie Hirondo wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:36 am The fueling shall only apply on planes and maybe other special units.
Fuel on tanks and other units will become harder to manage, so it shall only apply on planes and not on the tanks too.
But okay, I'll ask the pros of AoW too...
And by the way, here are some players' responses on this idea:
DreJade actually doesn't like the vanishing since according to him, anti-air missiles can decimate them.
TrueSlav said that aircraft shall have an operational range, and if they go out of that range, they'll slowly vanish.(His suggestion was stated above)
As planes should be more tactical in usage. In addition to that, aircraft carriers can also "refuel" planes.
Gruppenfuhrer Erwin supports this vanishing, but I still don't know his reason.
Drejade knows well AOW, and if he says planes are ok now (not op) than we can trust him.

Fuelling brings extra micromanagement - and losing many (i think most) players.
so fuels (any way that player needs to manage or take care of) must not be in any of these games.

operational range was already calculated in plane "speed" in game.
- a long operation range plane has bigger speed now,
- a low operational range plane has lower speed in AOW.
Harchie Hirondo

Yes, however there is a unit that @Gruppenführer Erwin suggested before which has a short operational range so it had 1 speed on claculation.
And I think that the cooldown before vanishing should be based on the operational range.
And the speed of the plane as speed.

But okay, it's up to you...
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

1 speed plane: what is the name of that plane?
Harchie Hirondo

It's the Me163 Komet if I remember correctly. That's why it was rejected before...
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

i am not sure, putting that in XLS gives it a speed 18 in game.
(as i just realized no operational range is calculated on planes - only on tanks)

i wrote to Jasondunkel about to change it.
Sultan Suleiman Khan

Post by Sultan Suleiman Khan »

I think this feature can added by making two options called normal mode and hard mode???
•The normal mode will be as like the dev said and even rookies/noobs can play this...
•The hard mode will be for strategists/complexity loving players and will contain refuelers for tanks and airplanes,terrain for oil production and massive complexity,,,,terrain for uraniums(Green colored tiles),,,and so on...
•There can also be launching Rocket to space,showing off might/power/for pride???
•If still,these will not going to implemented in the game then can it be on "Map Editor Specilal Option" or something????
Sultan Abdul Hamid Khan 2
brave,kind,and worthy than all the Ottoman Sultans,,,
Know history,,,N love history,,,,
Redanxelar

Post by Redanxelar »

While i do agree that planes are somewhat OP implementing fueling on planes will create intense micro manage

Moreso in campaigns whereby you have planes and no engineers and airport you'll have to first build barracks, engineers then airport most likely the planes would have vanished by then and hopefully you're using USA cause i think they're the only faction where engineers are build able in barracks

While i do support nerfing planes i think a better option would be refilling their bombs at airport rather cooldowns or a longer cooldown since the bombing tactic is actually the most annoying
The old signature is damn cringe
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

but cooldown is a way to avoid mictomanagement, but still preventing every turn bombing - isnt the same:
a) having eg. 4-5 turn cooldown
b) or going back to an airport?
i think they are almost same for the players strategically, but the "a" will not add any extra micromanagement.
(the good thing is in first way you dont need to micromanage)
TntAttack

Post by TntAttack »

Sultan Suleiman Khan wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:49 pm I think this feature can added by making two options called normal mode and hard mode???
•The normal mode will be as like the dev said and even rookies/noobs can play this...
•The hard mode will be for strategists/complexity loving players and will contain refuelers for tanks and airplanes,terrain for oil production and massive complexity,,,,terrain for uraniums(Green colored tiles),,,and so on...
•There can also be launching Rocket to space,showing off might/power/for pride???
•If still,these will not going to implemented in the game then can it be on "Map Editor Specilal Option" or something????
Basically a mod. @Stratego (dev) Is it possible for you to add a mod support?
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

what is a mod support?
DreJaDe

Post by DreJaDe »

Adding this on the subs in aoww... It kinda changed my mind for planes.

As the idea for subs, the vanishing of planes should not be micromanagy enough to be cumbersome so the more better solution (if this can be implemented) is to make it so that planes can loiter more...

Maybe even enough to make them last indefinitely.

And calculation will be based on operational range as operational range for planes is still not used.

For aomw, they can even have those afterburner for their jets.

Though to be honest, my opinion of them being easy to shut down is still there...
TntAttack

Post by TntAttack »

I mean if you really want some kind of realism regarding planes, we could perhaps give airports a 10 tile range aura that bluffs their attack and movement speed just a bit.

The lore will be that the airplanes/aircraft are within range for the airfields for repairs and supplies thus their damage and movement speed bluff.

However no "restocking" of anything is required, the only penalty aircraft get away from airports would be no bluff.

P.S
Stratego (dev) wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:18 pm what is a mod support?
Mod support is when the game allows player build mods to be uploaded and run by the player.

Typically it's made by very smart people from the player base, and given this games design it might not be too complicated for modders to come up with creative ideas.

The player would be able to download these mods from E.g. discord mods server, and run it on their devices.

Obviously only players with the same multiplayer mods can play with each other.

If someone then want to make a "Logistical Mod" for the hard core veterans, then they can without isolating the rest of the player base.

Return to “Others”