AoF War Chess

Here talk about maps and campaigns.
IMPORTANT!: Every map/campaign should be in a separate topic.
So if you have a new idea than open a new topic for it!
diesel

AoF War Chess

Post by diesel »

Hey guys i uploaded the first couple maps of another game... AoF War Chess

Great timekiller, a match is quick b/c all pieces move at once. Also a chance for players to mess with races/units they normally wouldn't use. A game u can play over n over

Player/Opp can be any race on any board - 9 boards total. 3 already uploaded (basic, town, volcano) rest r done just testing

check em out, since its 9 related maps maybe a folder in campaigns if u like them 😉😉😁😁
Badnorth

Re: AoF War Chess

Post by Badnorth »

New campaign? Or something ?

Nice.
For newcomers, click here for discord links. Hopefully they aren't expired.
diesel

Post by diesel »

I picked out 6 teams of pieces and made a bunch of 8x8 chess boards. Basic is pure, 1 for each race (with a better king + obstacles), and then 2 more with the better pieces (9 total). most should be uploaded by weekend

but not chess, they are normal AoF units and you gotta kill them all

just simple fun, i can play a quick game while waiting for the bus ha ha and they look cool too
diesel

Post by diesel »

So I've got all 9 boards uploaded now using 'send to market'

1) Basic
2) Town
3) Volcano
4) Forest
5) Mountain
6) Crypt
7) Swamp
8) Desert
9) Chaos

each board has 6x6=36 possible matchups so 9 boards is 324 diff "chess games" (which in themselves are always different)

it's a neat series of quick timekillers, worth checking out imo ;) 8-)
Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

Oh, Send to market? I thought it was a campaign.

I'll check it later..
For newcomers, click here for discord links. Hopefully they aren't expired.
diesel

Post by diesel »

Not a standard campaign no, but could fit in that section under easy or sth - 9 maps but each works alone w/ a different spin, not a linear progression

they could also work in market maps yeah - then it'd be cool if you buy a map package for like 20 gems or sth instead of single for 2 (like skin packs)
diesel

Post by diesel »

hey I'm still curious if stuff like this has a place in AoF! is anyone around that looks at maps and campaigns?

i also have full campaigns that are rpg, meaning guide and grow a few chrs through open-world adventures (as opposed to standard army vs army)

its simply an alternative style of play, my Nemesia campaign is just a bare-bones example. AoF is the perfect platform for solo RPG but the triggering is time consuming so they're on hold atm
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

i am working on my campain (alas due to lots of changes planned in future it is still not for release).
This campain by the way will have a good lore, a continent map and over 200 maps in total for over 5 campains.
You will play for all sides of conflict - for "good guys" (but who said that they are actually good? you will also fight for good guys against own (former) allies as well in some maps), "bad guys" (but why that guy actually became bad one? prequel with story of bad guy becoming one is included) and even for neutral villagers who just want to escape from this war.
Ending of this campain will be an epic final showdown battle for over 20 maps.

Some jokes also are included (like in one map you will meet a isekai'ed hero who wants to kill the demon lord and save the world! but utterly massacred by the forementioned demon lord and turned into its undead vassal). Also there will be lots of references to random and preset multiplayer maps made by myself in this campain (for example you will play in prequel on one map in city of Aspenimahos in its glorious state and raze it to the ground - an easter egg to Ruins of Aspenimahos preset multiplayer map).

Some maps will be really chess-like maps with YOU.WILL.DIE!SERIOUSLY. difficulty where every movement you make must be calculated or you will loose.

RPG (you are in big city and you need to take some quests and finish them), Final fantasy style boss fight and even Tom Clancy's Sprinter Cell stealth missions are also included. And ofc many maps have more than 1 way to win.

There even is worked a special super secret challenge that allow for you (if you know that secret) to finish each map in less than 10 turns (and some of maps are really time-and-turn consuming). Ofc apart from just finishing the map much faster than you normally will play this challenge also will give you various hints for upcoming maps as well or just some additional info about lore.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
diesel

Post by diesel »

Wow.

I mean, wow. Epic idea, and a superhuman task to create, I hope one day to see the results!

I've got a 20 map series I'm trying to trigger. Follows a warlord-to-be from a simple quest to fend off invaders, through the discovery of the powers behind the actions of various races, to the necessity of destroying the land he should rule in order to preserve balance.

Seems kinda small in comparison but still a major undertaking for me, i hope i have the time/patience/skill to see it through.

Yours sounds very tactical, i like that. Mine centers on gaining strength & abilities through open-map exploration (like leveling up player chrs). I want to give choices that lead to different outcomes - deliver this letter to recruit a npc, or atk the messenger and start a melee. But all paths must lead to a single end so the maps flow.

The map i have in market is amateurish, i put it together in just a week or so, but there's choice triggers in it that im proud of.

Choose 2 of 8 objects, all with different results, and 1 specific "winning" combo. Much more complicated than one would think. That kind of thing. Hopefully by xmas.
diesel

Post by diesel »

Oh but these chess boards were meant to be a fun timekiller, not a triggered campaign. Just a quick skirmish, player can choose any race for any side on any map so they can be played many times not just once.

I was thinking of ways to hook new players that might feel overwhelmed if they're new to TBS gaming. I see lots of new names, but sadly most fade away. Or for existing players to pass time on the bus or whatever without starting something major.

Wish i could get some people to try these simply for feedback. It helps give direction for other ideas too. We need a test section for amateur creators like me! Are you in charge of the maps/campaigns too?
MrLich

Post by MrLich »

Seems interesting, wonder if you playing hero only chess map?

Return to “Map & campaign ideas/issues”