flying units

Here talk about units and structures.
IMPORTANT!: Every unit type and structure type should be in a separate topic.
So if you have a new unit idea than open a new topic for it!
Ragnar

flying units

Post by Ragnar »

there are many flying units in the game and not one can fly over buildings (both their own and the enemy's) and enemy units, is it possible to correct this fact, since without this the whole meaning of flying units disappears
Alexander82

Re: flying units

Post by Alexander82 »

It is a "ancient" setting we still have, though I was planning a system with different heights.

The fact of flying units is that they always act as it is more convenient to them (e.g. melee flying units can hit in melee land units but can't be hit at the same time if not with counterattacks, at the same time ranged units can't be hit in melee but they still keep al their range and precision in an unnatural way)

before changing anything I'd like to think carefully to all the consequences (e.g. will that make them too strong into taking tcs?).
Age of Fantasy design leader
Ragnar

Post by Ragnar »

Alexander82 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:14 am It is a "ancient" setting we still have, though I was planning a system with different heights.

The fact of flying units is that they always act as it is more convenient to them (e.g. melee flying units can hit in melee land units but can't be hit at the same time if not with counterattacks, at the same time ranged units can't be hit in melee but they still keep al their range and precision in an unnatural way)

before changing anything I'd like to think carefully to all the consequences (e.g. will that make them too strong into taking tcs?).
well, they will remain a tasty morsel for long-range units, and in principle the balance will not be disturbed
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

Anyway I've found the image ofwhat I was planning

Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

Looks great

I'd still put flying into trnSpecs just so they can fly over walls.

There is also the option to make them passable by enemies in case they are flying too high or can't land to block the enemy's path.
OLÉ
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

High flying units will be able to pass through all units, indeed.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Fort

Post by Fort »

Good
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

@Stratego (dev) do you think we could do something like that?
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

it can already set on units if they can fly over other units and such.
we have this setting in AOW already.
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

What I mean is that we need to have 3 settings for units that have specific interaction between each other (units that are on a certain "layer" react in a certain way if interacting with those of another "layer")

also we need 3 abilities to set the status of flying units to landed, flying and high flying

another thing we would need is to always consider landed flying units that are garrisoned inside a building or a tc (you can't make an endless defender by putting a HIGH_FLY unit inside a tc cause once it is inside it should be treated as a land units (thus receiving full damage from land units)

another thing I also wanted to do for units garrisoned inside towers is for them to be treated like giants (they can hit flying units for full damage or high flying units for half damage but they can attack land units for full damage as well)

Return to “Units & Structures (See Races for accepted Unit Races)”