Flavour text for units

L4cus

Flavour text for units

Post by L4cus »

Every unit needs flavour text to implement in the alpha version
With reference from wikipedia, if possible
Here u can suggest flavour trext for those units waiting for json.
Extra ecclesiam nulla salus...
AOD, a new variant...
viewforum.php?f=230
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Re: Flavour text for units

Post by Stratego (dev) »

remark: wikipedia texting can help making flavour texts (in AOW i copy the first few sentences feom wikipedia for easy flavourtexting) - naturally it is better to spice it with in-game falvours too ifu have time 4 it.
L4cus

Post by L4cus »

Units waiting for text
-citizen
-pikeman
-footman
-longbowman
-light cavalry
-late knight
-arquebuiser

They need it to get definitive jsons
AOD, a new variant...
viewforum.php?f=230
Squirrel5555

Post by Squirrel5555 »

Arquebusier
The arquebus used the matchlock system and was the first firearm equipped with a trigger, being developed in the late 15th century in Europe and the Ottoman Empire. In the latter half of the 16th century a standardised arquebus was introduced and allowed for much faster reload, prior to this soldiers had to modify their bullets to fit the barrel, or even make their own ammunition. The smoothbore matchlock arqubus is considered the forerunner to the rifle and other long gun firearms. Many European countries differentiated the arquebus from the musket by its size and whether it needed a fork rest or not. It became the dominant projectile of the early renaissance because it was easy to mass-produce and it was easy to train new recruits in its use.
Last edited by Squirrel5555 on Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AOD Team - Join Us!
Squirrel5555

Post by Squirrel5555 »

Pikeman
The pike is a pole weapon, essentially a long thrusting spear used extensively by infantry. Pike lengths ranged from 3 to 7.5 metres, and were used regularly in European warfare from the Late Middle Ages to the early 18th century, until they were replaced by bayonets. They were often used in conjunction with ranged weaponry in defensive positions, although well trained troops were capable of using it in a offensive manner. Pikemen usually made up huge formations which could roll over enemy infantry but could not turn quickly to protect their vulnerable flanks and needed supporting troops to aid them. If a pike formation became disordered the men would switch to using shorter weapons such as daggers or maces as pikes were ineffective in close combat. The pike was employed as the main weapon of Landsknecht armies and Swiss mercenaries.
Last edited by Squirrel5555 on Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
AOD Team - Join Us!
Squirrel5555

Post by Squirrel5555 »

Late Era Knight
By the end of the 16th century, knights were becoming obsolete as countries started creating their own professional armies that were quicker to train, cheaper and easier to mobilise. The advancement of firearms eradicated the use of plate armour, as the time it took to train soldiers with guns was much less compared to that of the knight. The cost of equipment was also significantly lower, and guns had a reasonable chance to penetrate a knight's armour. In the 14th century the use of infantrymen armed with pikes and fighting in close formation also proved effective against heavy cavalry, an example of this being the Battle of Nancy.
AOD Team - Join Us!
Squirrel5555

Post by Squirrel5555 »

Longbowman
The longbow is a type of bow that is roughly equal to the height of the user, which allows the user a fairly long draw. It is not significantly recurved and its limbs are relatively narrow. In the Middle Ages the Welsh and English were famous for their powerful longbows, used in large numbers effectively against the French during the Hundred Years' War, although the earliest known example of a longbow dates back to 3300 BC. They survived as a weapon of war in England well beyond the introduction of effective firearms however the dominance of the longbow on the battlefield continued until the French began to use cannons to break the formations of English archers.
Last edited by Squirrel5555 on Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AOD Team - Join Us!
L4cus

Post by L4cus »

They are great. Thanks Squirel
I will add wikipedia links, if u dont mind
Also, i'd like some native english speaker to check the text if it is correct. I am not speaker native.
Squirrel, if u r one, sorry by not count u.
AOD, a new variant...
viewforum.php?f=230
Squirrel5555

Post by Squirrel5555 »

Ok, no worries :D
Ill do more tomorrow i think, dont have more time today.
AOD Team - Join Us!
L4cus

Post by L4cus »

More units we need text
-late lancer
-cog
-galleot
-galley
-war galley (something like: "more ship artillery pieces")
-galleass
-frigate
-carrack
-galleon
-caravel
AOD, a new variant...
viewforum.php?f=230
DreJaDe

Post by DreJaDe »

Carrack
A carrack (Portuguese: nau, Spanish: nao) was a three- or four-masted ocean-going sailing ship that was developed in the 14th to 15th centuries in Europe (mainly Portugal). Evolved from the single-masted cog, the carrack was first used for European trade from the Mediterranean to the Baltic and quickly found use with the newly found wealth of the trans-Atlantic trade between Europe, Africa and then the Americas. In their most advanced forms, they were used by the Portuguese for trade between Europe and Asia starting in the late 15th century, before eventually being superseded in the 17th century by the galleon, introduced in the 16th century.
DreJaDe

Post by DreJaDe »

Galleon
Galleons were large, multi-decked sailing ships first used as armed cargo carriers by European states from the 16th to 18th centuries during the age of sail and were the principal fleet units drafted for use as warships until the Anglo-Dutch Wars of the mid-1600s.[2] Galleons generally carried three or more masts with a lateen fore-and-aft rig on the rear masts, were carvel built with a prominent squared off raised stern, and used square-rigged sail plans on their fore-mast and main-masts.
DreJaDe

Post by DreJaDe »

Caravel
The caravel (Portuguese: caravela, IPA: [kɐɾɐˈvɛlɐ]) was a small, highly manoeuvrable sailing ship developed in the 15th century by the Portuguese to explore along the West African coast and into the Atlantic Ocean. The lateen sails gave it speed and the capacity for sailing windward (beating). Caravels were used by the Portuguese and Castilians for the oceanic exploration voyages during the 15th and 16th centuries in the Age of Discovery
Maxbirykov2004

Post by Maxbirykov2004 »

Guys could you copy this texts to text file, because in games all descriptions are on txt files, (in json here is DOC_BUILDING and i don't know what that means) however i explored some app files (not in assets) kotlin, Meta inf, org and some res, so... i find game music :), but don't find this file...
L4cus

Post by L4cus »

Sorry, i didnt know
AOD, a new variant...
viewforum.php?f=230
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

texts should go under others/strings.xml

here is a sample how unnit name and unit flavour text is defined:

Code: Select all

<string name="UNIT_BUILDING_PIER">Pier</string>
    <string name="UNIT_TXT_BUILDING_PIER">Just like the docks - pier allows to dock a ship or two. Thanks to the flat, empty space arround it\'s also perfect for small repairs.</string>

important:
- _TXT_ part makes it to be flavour text
- dont use ' character, or if u need to use \ character as a escape character (like in above example)
phoenixffyrnig

Post by phoenixffyrnig »

As a first language English speaker, let me assure you that Squirrel's mastery of the language is complete. Only two question marks, both in "Pikemen". First, ( (I think is autocorrect error) - you have "defensive" written twice, I'm guessing one should be "offensive", and second
Squirrel5555 wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:09 pm Pikeman
daggers or maces, yet would still be at a disadvantage to the enemy.
... has slightly lost it's meaning. Try rewording the last part of that sentence. But fair play, Squirrel, your English is much better than my other languages! Everything else, perfect.
I also play an RTS game called Life 8-)
And I also like drinking beer! :D
Squirrel5555

Post by Squirrel5555 »

phoenixffyrnig wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:10 pm As a first language English speaker, let me assure you that Squirrel's mastery of the language is complete. Only two question marks, both in "Pikemen". First, ( (I think is autocorrect error) - you have "defensive" written twice, I'm guessing one should be "offensive", and second
Squirrel5555 wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:09 pm Pikeman
daggers or maces, yet would still be at a disadvantage to the enemy.
... has slightly lost it's meaning. Try rewording the last part of that sentence. But fair play, Squirrel, your English is much better than my other languages! Everything else, perfect.
Thanks for the help! :D I tried to read the paragraphs over after writing them but I didnt catch those errors :lol:
AOD Team - Join Us!

Return to “units”