About Timelines

MaharajaInfernape

About Timelines

Post by MaharajaInfernape »

Please read and understand this long post carefully.

The eras of units will be based on centuries but not Mediaeval, Early Modern, etc. because they are very large. For e.g. Early Modern Period lasted from 16th to 18 century.

Era-1: Late 15th century to late 16th century (Will need no research. So Arquibus will not need research.)
Era-2: Early to late 17th century (Will need research)
Era-3: Early to late 18th century (Will need more research)
Era-4: Early to mid-19th century (Will need very long research)

There will be no unit from early 15th century because at that time gunpowder weapons were not used seriously. (Exception: Mediaeval units which were still used in late 15th century or later, like English longbowman, can be used.) I don't suggest hand-cannon to there in the game since hand-cannons were obsolete in the Early Modern Age. Similarly, since Ribault was not used after 15th century, it should be useful only in early-game. So it should have no upgrade.

When a game is created, there will be an option like the following:
Timeline: <Starting era drop-down list> to <Ending era drop-down list>
The drop-down menus will contain lists of eras. Units which are are outside this range of eras will not be allowed in the game.
It will be shown in the same way as other options like enable/disable spells, etc.
Last edited by MaharajaInfernape on Sun May 23, 2021 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Squirrel5555

Re: About Timelines

Post by Squirrel5555 »

If you checked out our discord server you would see our actual progress and the decisions we have already made.

E.g. we've already decided on an era system.

So, many of your suggestions will not be taken seriously because they go against what has been decided by us. For example we WILL have many late medieval units, and many will not have upgrades.

Your other idea about starting eras has also been suggested and discussed both on the forums and on discord.

However as mentioned on another one of your posts we have LIMITATIONS that we have no way of getting around.
This series of games has only one developer, Stratego. We can't introduce any new options that require new code. Only Stratego can and he has previously stated he does not have time to introduce options which will only be used by one variant.
AOD Team - Join Us!
Squirrel5555

Post by Squirrel5555 »

Furthermore we are much further in development than can be seen on the forums. In fact we have a faction that is mostly finished, England.

So, any substantial changes to the basic concept behind AoD will be rare.
AOD Team - Join Us!
Maxbirykov2004

Post by Maxbirykov2004 »

I fully agree with @Squirrel5555 we already talked about this, and decided limits...
MaharajaInfernape

Squirrel5555 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 1:19 pm This series of games has only one developer, Stratego. We can't introduce any new options that require new code. Only Stratego can and he has previously stated he does not have time to introduce options which will only be used by one variant.
I did neither ask to introduce completely new things in the game nor to remove the whole thing of factions. (I changed my mind.) I just said that factions will be like checkboxes i.e. more than one faction can be allowed. Each factions can be tick-marked/unmarked individually. Otherwise it would become just like a single war and not like a 'Historical Era' of war.
MaharajaInfernape

MaharajaInfernape wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:13 pm The eras of units will be based on centuries but not Mediaeval, Early Modern, etc. because they are very large. For e.g. Early Modern Period lasted from 16th to 18 century.

Era-1: Late 15th century to late 16th century (Will need no research. So Arquibus will not need research.)

There will be no unit from early 15th century because at that time gunpowder weapons were not used seriously. (Exception: Mediaeval units which were still used in late 15th century or later, like English longbowman, can be used.) I don't suggest hand-cannon to there in the game since hand-cannons were obsolete in the Early Modern Age. Similarly, since Ribault was not used after 15th century, it should be useful only in early-game. So it should have no upgrade.

The drop-down menus will contain lists of eras. Units which are are outside this range of eras will not be allowed in the game.
It will be shown in the same way as other options like enable/disable spells, etc.
  • If the Era is set between 17th and 18th centuries then all techs of 17th century will be already researched from beginning. (I think this is not difficult to apply because there is already an option to allow/disallow starting technologies, similar to my suggestion.) Similar thing will happen if the Era is set differently.
  • All techs will be categorised into Eras. Early 16th century units should not need any research because this is the beginning of the Gunpowder Era (when guns became the most common category of weapons) and AoD is based of Gunpowder Era.
  • Mediaeval units should either not have any upgrade at all or have upgrades which will transform them into different Early Modern units (just like Archer in AoS are upgraded to Crossbowman which was a different unit of different era). This will make the Mediaeval units only viable in early game.
Maxbirykov2004

Post by Maxbirykov2004 »

MaharajaInfernape wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 3:03 pm
MaharajaInfernape wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:13 pm The eras of units will be based on centuries but not Mediaeval, Early Modern, etc. because they are very large. For e.g. Early Modern Period lasted from 16th to 18 century.

• If the Era is set between 17th and 18th centuries then all techs of 17th century will be already researched from beginning. (I think this is not difficult to apply because there is already an option to allow/disallow starting technologies, similar to my suggestion.) Similar thing will happen if the Era is set differently.
  • All techs will be categorised into Eras. Early 16th century units should not need any research because this is the beginning of the Gunpowder Era (when guns became the most common category of weapons) and AoD is based of Gunpowder Era.
  • Mediaeval units should either not have any upgrade at all or have upgrades which will transform them into different Early Modern units (just like Archer in AoS are upgraded to Crossbowman which was a different unit of different era). This will make the Mediaeval units only viable in early game.
Ok... But i think that current system is great... And nothing should be changed
Gral.Sturnn

Post by Gral.Sturnn »

We have something really similar for the moment.
~Gral.Sturnn
MaharajaInfernape

MaharajaInfernape wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 3:03 pm
  • In my posts, the word 'Era' refers to the historical time period when a unit was dominant in warfare but not the time period when it was invented or first used. For e.g., the Era of flintlock is 18th century (since they were dominant after 1720) and not 17th century even though it is recorded that flintlock had been used in as early as 1610 (but at that time it was only experimentally used).
  • Can anyone explain what are TECH_AGE_1/2/3?
Above all I give highest priority to the mechanisms of factions I said before.
Last edited by MaharajaInfernape on Sun May 23, 2021 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gral.Sturnn

Post by Gral.Sturnn »

Yes, we have already separated each era per century and the most relevant technological shift or war.
~Gral.Sturnn
L4cus

Post by L4cus »

Btw those "TECH_ERA_1/2/3" are the era techs for advacing eras...
Extra ecclesiam nulla salus...
AOD, a new variant...
viewforum.php?f=230

Return to “Others”