Faction Checkboxes

MaharajaInfernape

Faction Checkboxes

Post by MaharajaInfernape »

My idea is the following:
  • At the time of creating a game, when the faction icon is clicked, it will show a long drop-down list (containing 10-20 factions) with checkboxes.
  • By default all the factions will be marked. The player can unmark the each faction individually which are not to be allowed in a match.
This is the image how it shall look like. :arrow: Image
This will allow a player to choose multiple factions at a time.
Last edited by MaharajaInfernape on Mon May 24, 2021 8:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
Maxbirykov2004

Re: Faction Checkboxes

Post by Maxbirykov2004 »

MaharajaInfernape wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 6:45 am My idea is the following:
  • At the time of creating a game, when the faction icon is clicked, it will show a long drop-down list (containing 10-20 factions) with checkboxes.
  • By default all the factions will be marked. The player can unmark the each faction individually which are not to be allowed in a match.
Well... We are limited by the system... And we cannot do this, without dev permissionm...
MaharajaInfernape

Maxbirykov2004 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 10:20 am
MaharajaInfernape wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 6:45 am My idea is the following:
Well... We are limited by the system... And we cannot do this, without dev permissionm...
But this thing is highly needed (high priority).
In my opinion, now, the mechanisms of the game should be concentrated on more than adding new units. I shall be posting more suggestions about mechanisms of the game for some times.
Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

I don't think this should be even called a priority. AoD still needs units and structures, those are priorities. Not Mechanisms as this is an Ao Game, all Ao engines are the same Stratego Said.
For newcomers, click here for discord links. Hopefully they aren't expired.
MaharajaInfernape

Badnorth wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:27 pm I don't think this should be even called a priority. AoD still needs units and structures, those are priorities. Not Mechanisms as this is an Ao Game, all Ao engines are the same Stratego Said.
I think you didn't understand my point. Just compare the mechanisms of AoS with those of AoWW. (Can you imagine AoS having factions for each kingdom like AoWW!) I said AoD should be more like AoS than AoWW. First of all, all factions should be removed. (It even has WW2 factions!)
The factions should not be like AoWW or AoF. All factions should be allowed to be used by a single player. He/She can select one or more factions. (Campaign maps may not allow the player to choose factions.)

Also, units' names should be written correctly (without full capital letters and '_'). But before that all auras and effects should be described. (It is very difficult to understand the game at this stage.)
Last edited by MaharajaInfernape on Sun May 23, 2021 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maxbirykov2004

Post by Maxbirykov2004 »

MaharajaInfernape wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:43 pm
Badnorth wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:27 pm I don't think this should be even called a priority. AoD still needs units and structures, those are priorities. Not Mechanisms as this is an Ao Game, all Ao engines are the same Stratego Said.
I think you didn't understand my point. Just compare the mechanisms of AoS with those of AoWW. (Can you imagine AoS having factions for each kingdom like AoWW!) I said AoD should be more like AoS than AoWW. First of all, all factions should be removed. (It even has WW2 factions!)
The factions should not be like AoWW or AoF. All factions should be allowed to be used by a single player. He/She can select one or more factions. (Campaign maps may not allow the player to choose factions.)

Also, units' names should be written correctly (without full capital letters and '_'). But before that all auras and effects should be described.
Hmmm
I'm starting to like it
L4cus

Post by L4cus »

MaharajaInfernape wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:43 pm I think you didn't understand my point. Just compare the mechanisms of AoS with those of AoWW. (Can you imagine AoS having factions for each kingdom like AoWW!) I said AoD should be more like AoS than AoWW. First of all, all factions should be removed. (It even has WW2 factions!)

Also, units' names should be written correctly (without full capital letters and '_'). But before that all auras and effects should be described. (It is very difficult to understand the game at this stage.)
As i said before we are in development, The aoww factions are there because we are using aoww basic apk version, so old aoww units are there, aog used it too, so in the game files there are a lot of reptilian and mechas...thats not a problem, with development it will be out...we only have british and france, and yeah, british is much more complete since we fovused on british from the very beggining...
About units and descriptions, those are strings, they have to be added i am working on it, but the last update had a problem with them so lots of strings are not in game yet...
With that said, i will reply ur first sentences, aos could not have factions since it is based on 5000 bc to 1600 ac, a huge time lap, from primitive to winged hussars, making factions is not viable...thats why aod is focused only on europe and with a time lap from 1450 to 1815...
Extra ecclesiam nulla salus...
AOD, a new variant...
viewforum.php?f=230
MaharajaInfernape

L4cus wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 5:53 pm With that said, i will reply ur first sentences, aos could not have factions since it is based on 5000 bc to 1600 ac, a huge time lap, from primitive to winged hussars, making factions is not viable...thats why aod is focused only on europe and with a time lap from 1450 to 1815...
The point lies in your reply. WW2 is a single war that was fought between some specific countries. So factions were very clear-cut. But like AoS, AoD is based on an Era of warfare and focusing units worldwide (not only on Europe. Maybe other civilization's units can be added later.). So factions cannot be made in this game like AoWW.

How can I attach a picture here from my phone storage? Then I can share how it can look like.
L4cus

Post by L4cus »

YOUR point lies in your replat since u compare aod and aos as similars. Here i got a question...doesnt it sound like u r deciding everything by ur own? Didnt we said that we decided this to go like its going? Who decides how the project should go? Didnt i told u the purpose of the game? This game is NOT based in units worldwide...even ww2 had conflicts in other parts around the world like peru against ecuador in 1939 to 1941, or corea invaded by japan, china invaded by japan, african colonies, mexico supporting germany, and a lot more...so ur point is based on the fact that aod is similar to aos. But as i said, u r deciding it by urself...
AOD, a new variant...
viewforum.php?f=230
MaharajaInfernape

L4cus wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 7:56 pm YOUR point lies in your replat since u compare aod and aos as similars. Here i got a question...doesnt it sound like u r deciding everything by ur own? Didnt we said that we decided this to go like its going? Who decides how the project should go? Didnt i told u the purpose of the game? This game is NOT based in units worldwide...even ww2 had conflicts in other parts around the world like peru against ecuador in 1939 to 1941, or corea invaded by japan, china invaded by japan, african colonies, mexico supporting germany, and a lot more...so ur point is based on the fact that aod is similar to aos. But as i said, u r deciding it by urself...
I think you have have misunderstood me. Or perhaps I have explained that incorrectly. Ok then I'll try to explain the thing more properly so that it can be understood well. :)
Sorry bro if I sounded rude in that post. But I didn't think so. 😊

BTW can anyone say how can I attach image here from Phone storage? The image is not coming if I write its path within Image.
L4cus

Post by L4cus »

AOD, a new variant...
viewforum.php?f=230
MaharajaInfernape

L4cus wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:28 am Here is a description
http://www.ageofstrategy.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6597
Thanks a lot!
MaharajaInfernape

Please read my long post before replying. 🙏🏼 :)

Dividing the units in factions seems interesting now but it would not be so good in the long run. In Play Store you can find thousands of games like this, with better graphics (which most players like more) but much worse mechanisms (which I like more). The thing I want to say is also about the uniqueness of the game, which will attract players around the world instead of other games, and increase the popularity of the game.

The historical timespan of AoWW is only 6 yrs. In WW2 there were USA, UK and Russia on one side, and Germany, Italy and Japan on the other side fighting together. (There were also many other countries but they were not so powerful.) So you can clearly divide factions. Even factions named Allies and Axis are made which are combinations of other factions.

But the historical timespan of AoD is 450 yrs. If you even look at Europe only, in one battle Britain allied with France, and in another vice-versa. In the European War of Religion there were there were some allies and enemies and in the 30-Yrs War there were different, so was the 100-Yrs War. In the English Civil War it was only with England. This list will be endless. In this way AoD is quite similar to AoD (but not so much to AoWW) as both of them focuses on historical eras and not single wars. Different wars had different formations and allies. Thus it would impossible to make factions like those in AoWW, as it would highly limit a player in choosing units. (This will also have effects in app growth.)

That's why I was of the opinion the remove factions completely; but since much of the things have already been done and cannot be changed much, I suggested to change the mechanisms of factions like this way.
MaharajaInfernape wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 6:45 am
And here👇🏼 is the image how it will look like.
It will drastically increase the range of variety of mechanisms in the game by allowing players to choose multiple factions at a time, and thereby also improve the game.
Last edited by MaharajaInfernape on Mon May 24, 2021 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
DreJaDe

Post by DreJaDe »

MaharajaInfernape wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:26 am Please read my long post before replying. 🙏🏼 :)

Dividing the units in factions seems interesting now but it would not be so good in the long run. In Play Store you can find thousands of games like this, with better graphics (which most players like more) but much worse mechanisms (which I like more). The thing I want to say is also about the uniqueness of the game, which will attract players around the world instead of other games, and increase the popularity of the game.

The historical timespan of AoWW is only 6 yrs. In WW2 there were USA, UK and Russia on one side, and Germany, Italy and Japan on the other side fighting together. (There were also many other countries but they were not so powerful.) So you can clearly divide factions. Even factions named Allies and Axis are made which are combinations of other factions.

But the historical timespan of AoD is 450 yrs. If you even look at Europe only, in one battle Britain allied with France, and in another vice-versa. In the European War of Religion there were there were some allies and enemies and in the 30-Yrs War there were different, so was the 100-Yrs War. In the English Civil War it was only with England. This list will be endless. In this way AoD is quite similar to AoD (but not so much to AoWW) as both of them focuses on historical eras and not single wars. Different wars had different formations and allies. Thus it would impossible to make factions like those in AoWW, as it would highly limit a player in choosing units. (This will also have effects in app growth.)

That's why I was of the opinion the remove factions completely; but since much of the things have already been done and cannot be changed much, I suggested to change the mechanisms of factions like this way.
And here👇🏼 is the image how it will look like.
https://ibb.co/rxmSG5h
It will drastically increase the range of variety of mechanisms in the game by allowing players to choose multiple factions at a time, and thereby also improve the game.
What you want is impossible for the current engine and program of the game.

The only way for the REAL Dev to move is that when all AO games wanted what you say or of course, the question if he can even do what you want.

There are so many things that is essential to other games too but cannot be added because of the limitations.

What they are doing here is limited by the system and the ability of the devs. The things you want like fixes on names is indeed a priority but we should also understand that this game is under development.

I don't think the game is even on Alpha.

They are also still discussing about how to even balance the different type of troops which is the most essential for the survival of the game.

Mind you that the REAL Dev think already of this game as DEAD and yeah, most of the people who are in the program department is busy also.

Pls consider our limitations too but as always any suggestions are okay.

As some said. Consider joining on discord so the communication will be more faster.

Forums are outdated.
MaharajaInfernape

DreJaDe wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 6:32 am What you want is impossible for the current engine and program of the game.

The only way for the REAL Dev to move is that when all AO games wanted what you say or of course, the question if he can even do what you want.

There are so many things that is essential to other games too but cannot be added because of the limitations.

What they are doing here is limited by the system and the ability of the devs. The things you want like fixes on names is indeed a priority but we should also understand that this game is under development.

I don't think the game is even on Alpha.

They are also still discussing about how to even balance the different type of troops which is the most essential for the survival of the game.

Mind you that the REAL Dev think already of this game as DEAD and yeah, most of the people who are in the program department is busy also.

Pls consider our limitations too but as always any suggestions are okay.

As some said. Consider joining on discord so the communication will be more faster.

Forums are outdated.
Thank you for so clear explanation!

But unfortunately I cannot join Discord now (reasons difficult to explain). I'll try to join shortly after some time. :)
DreJaDe

Post by DreJaDe »

About the no faction idea.

It's kinda not appropriate.

The troops of this game are highly similar to each other.

If we're going to do the non faction type then the units that is going to be available would be limited.

In AOS, the amount of units of the same category is quite limited. Like Roman troops are only 2 but we know that there are a lot of type, the type of Phalanx units are also limited to three, type of knights are just the special type and the generic version but we know that most western european nations have theirs, so on and so forth.

In AOD, we're using quite the same units and is limited by time plus the amount of Faction that can be put.
MaharajaInfernape

DreJaDe wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:13 am About the no faction idea.

If we're going to do the non faction type then the units that is going to be available would be limited.

In AOS, the amount of units of the same category is quite limited. Like Roman troops are only 2 but we know that there are a lot of type, the type of Phalanx units are also limited to three, type of knights are just the special type and the generic version but we know that most western european nations have theirs, so on and so forth.

In AOD, we're using quite the same units and is limited by time plus the amount of Faction that can be put.
I am not asking to remove factions completely, but making factions like this way as I suggested:
DreJaDe

Post by DreJaDe »

MaharajaInfernape wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:19 am
DreJaDe wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:13 am About the no faction idea.

I am not asking to remove factions completely, but making factions like this way as I suggested:
Hence I say "idea".

Since you've mentioned it.
MaharajaInfernape

DreJaDe wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:18 am Hence I say "idea".

Since you've mentioned it.
I couldn't understand what you meant.
Maxbirykov2004

Post by Maxbirykov2004 »

Huh
Gral.Sturnn

Post by Gral.Sturnn »

Factions are separated beacuse we decided to give each one a purpose and design, each faction will have a complete rooster of units with al sorts of specialities, we dont want units to become obsolote or redundant, in aos only a selected few are used at all, we dont want that in aod, we separate factions beacuse it makes sense. Even in ww2 there were alliances like the ones you said, in ww2 the german were allied with the italians right? does this mean a single player should play the 2?, not really that spot should be occupied by another player each one playing as their own factions, do you also realize what hell to balance that would be? to have a single player playing as all of the factions? what you are suggesting sure sounds cool but we cannot implement something like that even if we wanted to, its not possible, plus we want to give each faction a different experience with its own unit sprites and the such.
~Gral.Sturnn
Gral.Sturnn

Post by Gral.Sturnn »

plus, the alliances in multiplayer already exist, you can set teams in a match before it starts, plus each player is meant to progress through the eras by unlocking new technologies, its not like they are all there at the same time, they are separated in eras.
~Gral.Sturnn
MaharajaInfernape

Gral.Sturnn wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:07 pm Factions are separated beacuse we decided to give each one a purpose and design, each faction will have a complete rooster of units with al sorts of specialities, we dont want units to become obsolote or redundant, in aos only a selected few are used at all, we dont want that in aod, we separate factions beacuse it makes sense. Even in ww2 there were alliances like the ones you said, in ww2 the german were allied with the italians right? does this mean a single player should play the 2?, not really that spot should be occupied by another player each one playing as their own factions, do you also realize what hell to balance that would be? to have a single player playing as all of the factions? what you are suggesting sure sounds cool but we cannot implement something like that even if we wanted to, its not possible, plus we want to give each faction a different experience with its own unit sprites and the such.
I understand.
But in AoWW there are also factions called Allies and Axis which are simply combinations of other factions. But this would be very difficult to make in this game as different countries made different alliances in history, and so any kind of alliance by a single player (as compared to Allies & Axis in AoWW) will not be possible. But if factions are made in the way I suggested then alliances will be possible. And for balance, in campaign maps factions will not be allowed to choose and they will be set by the one who will have made the map.
Gral.Sturnn

Post by Gral.Sturnn »

But whats tje point of letting a player play several factions at a time? Like, why would anyone do that? Whats the advantage?
~Gral.Sturnn
L4cus

Post by L4cus »

With triggers u can delect a bunch of units to be aviable for the player...but....it takes time to set the triggers so thatwway is more complicated...
AOD, a new variant...
viewforum.php?f=230
Maxbirykov2004

Post by Maxbirykov2004 »

L4cus wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:06 pm With triggers u can delect a bunch of units to be aviable for the player...but....it takes time to set the triggers so thatwway is more complicated...
Thats right, and thanks to that complication dev won't do this...
MaharajaInfernape

Maxbirykov2004 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 12:49 pm Plus link to discord server... Since all work moved there
https://discord.gg/DX5k9F6wQY
Maxbirykov2004 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 12:35 pm Maybe we should talk about this at Discord? (https://discord.gg/DX5k9F6wQY)
DreJaDe wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 6:32 am As some said. Consider joining on discord so the communication will be more faster.

Forums are outdated.
Finally I have joined Discord!
Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

ok
For newcomers, click here for discord links. Hopefully they aren't expired.
Maxbirykov2004

Post by Maxbirykov2004 »

I already saw this
L4cus

Post by L4cus »

good
AOD, a new variant...
viewforum.php?f=230

Return to “Others”