Gallowglass redesign Part 2 ABANDONED

Put here any ideas, suggestions about redesigning unit/building graphics.
Shark guy 35

Re: Gallowglass redesign Part 2

Post by Shark guy 35 »

I'm sorry, I didn't even realize Badnorth drew the image. This is the biggest mistake I've made in a while.
"A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week".
-General George S. Patton
Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

No Worries.
For newcomers, click here for discord links. Hopefully they aren't expired.
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

The drawing is good.

But strangely it seems to fit much less towards the unit.

Feet are very small, comparing to other units.
Grip seems like classic pole-arm, while in-game stats are better represented by old one, which suggests taking huge swing or something.
Darkening beard and making visible mail armor made it look much more norse than old one.
Adding secondary weapon is completely unnecessary and can make player wonder if there is some special characteristic or ability related.

In short:
Old one, while maybe could use some polishing (but really not even 1% as much as older units) is simpler and more fitting for gallowglass.
New image is better, but too complicated and better used as leader or hero unit (or pricier skin, but you already mentioned to not like the idea).
Age of Strategy design leader
Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

Endru1241 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:39 pm Feet are very small, comparing to other units.
Feet is at the same size of the Crusader units and Raider Archer StormSaint made, i think it is fine.
Endru1241 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:39 pm Grip seems like classic pole-arm, while in-game stats are better represented by old one, which suggests taking huge swing or something.
Darkening beard and making visible mail armor made it look much more norse than old one.
Adding secondary weapon is completely unnecessary and can make player wonder if there is some special characteristic or ability related.
Secondary Weapon:
Roman Sagittarius, Drummers, and some units i've probably missed has a secondary weapon also, so i thought it was fine.
And the secondary weapons i've added was copied from the reference i was looking at.

Beard: I'll change it to the old one's color (I noticed that too but i just left it alone since it looked cool).

Grip: I'll change it i guess..
Endru1241 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:39 pm In short:
Old one, while maybe could use some polishing (but really not even 1% as much as older units) is simpler and more fitting for gallowglass.
New image is better, but too complicated and better used as leader or hero unit (or pricier skin, but you already mentioned to not like the idea).
Skin: I don't really like the skin idea. Especially for my unit images i see bad. I'd want to replace the current gallowglass with a new one. I'll make the changes you've said, and maybe it'll give you a change of thought. If that doesn't work then i guess i'll have to create a new one again. Or maybe just edit the current gallow glass.
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

Have you thought about it being map editor unit - hero gallowglass or is your desire to take down old skin too strong?
Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

Endru1241 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:35 am Have you thought about it being map editor unit - hero gallowglass or is your desire to take down old skin too strong?
Thought: I haven't thought about it being a map editor unit.
Hm.. I hope someone makes a better image for Gallowglass. I'd want it to be replaced. I'm fine for a hero gallowglass since the majority likes the current one more. Maybe a better gallowglass in stats and is inconvertible, can u make the stats and json?
Endru1241

Re: Gallowglass redesign Part 2 ABANDONED

Post by Endru1241 »

I'll try to cook something up.
Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

Nice
Morningwarrior

Post by Morningwarrior »

Badnorth wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:59 amNice
Wow is you program you use to make pixel art?
I swore to protect and lead a great order that seeks enlightenment, I was chosen by the great star and I will pour out his fury against anyone who declares himself an enemy!
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

Morningwarrior wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:54 pm Wow is you program you use to make pixel art?
It's not the case of program, but skills.
And those take time and practice to develop.
There is no magic shortcut (well, maybe except editing existing images, but we all started there).

If have any pc - I strongly advice using GIMP and learn working on layers - it makes later modifications much easier and has everything ever needed for making new one.
AS pure android user you'd be forced to use something more limited, but maybe easier to learn. I have used Pixly.

But as a member staying here on the forum for over 2 years - you should have known that.
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

@Badnorth
How about:
Mac Sweeney
Sweeney clanmen are oldest and fiercests gallowglasses. Hospitable and mild at peace - deadly at war.

35 HP (25)
15 attack (13)
5/4 armors (3/2)
1 power range
85% damage on range (75% )
mental res 100% (45%)
inconvertible
Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

Endru1241 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:18 pm @Badnorth
How about:
Mac Sweeney
Sweeney clanmen are oldest and fiercests gallowglasses. Hospitable and mild at peace - deadly at war.

35 HP (25)
15 attack (13)
5/4 armors (3/2)
1 power range
85% damage on range (75% )
mental res 100% (45%)
inconvertible
I like the stats, it's clearly better than the current gallowglass in-game. But when i searched Mac Sweeney, an american politician showed up lol. But here's the description i found in wikipedia. I'll post it here for people who doesn't know what it is.
Clan Sweeney is an Irish clan of Scottish origin. The Mac Suibhne family did not permanently settle in Ireland before the beginning of the 14th century, when they became Gallowglass soldiers for the Ua Domnaill dynasty of Tír Chonaill. The clan also claims an Irish descent from a prince of the Uí Néill dynasty, Ánrothán Ua Néill, son of Áed, son of Flaithbertach Ua Néill, King of Ailech and Cenél nEógain, died 1036. Through this descent the clan can claim a descent from Niall Noigíallach (Niall of the Nine Hostages).
It seems fine. The name is troubling me a little tho xd.
Morningwarrior

Post by Morningwarrior »

Endru1241 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:39 pm
Morningwarrior wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:54 pm Wow is you program you use to make pixel art?
It's not the case of program, but skills.
And those take time and practice to develop.
There is no magic shortcut (well, maybe except editing existing images, but we all started there).

If have any pc - I strongly advice using GIMP and learn working on layers - it makes later modifications much easier and has everything ever needed for making new one.
AS pure android user you'd be forced to use something more limited, but maybe easier to learn. I have used Pixly.

But as a member staying here on the forum for over 2 years - you should have known that.
2 years...it doesn't even seem like it was in my 9th year that I got to know this game
I swore to protect and lead a great order that seeks enlightenment, I was chosen by the great star and I will pour out his fury against anyone who declares himself an enemy!
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

Damn.
I got a boxer on search.

Haven't checked before.

Any other ideas for name?
Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

Endru1241 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:52 am Damn.
I got a boxer on search.
:lol:

I got an american politician.
Endru1241 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:52 am Any other ideas for name?
Maybe just "Hero Gallowglass" ? With the description of "A Strong and Brave Gallowglass" ? So it can be used as a generic hero unit like Knight Hero and Archer Hero.
Hyuhjhih
Location: Earth, (the part of blue ball and is named India for some reasons)

Post by Hyuhjhih »

LIE = Love Is Eternal.

Design leader of the variants Age of Gods and Age Of Civilization, and live heartedly contributing to AoS.

AoC discord server is up AoC
Shark guy 35

Post by Shark guy 35 »

I got an actor in my search.
https://m.imdb.com/name/nm11722171/
"A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week".
-General George S. Patton

Return to “Graphics”