Team Coloring Upgrade.

Put here any discussion that does not fit to the specific forums.
Dagravian

Team Coloring Upgrade.

Post by Dagravian »

So, @Stratego (dev) i've been talking with many people about the problems with team coloring, between them, some are:

- The limits of RGB measurement for the team coloring for the game imgs, and this include:

- The contrast of light team color and the dark replacement seen in game, resulting on low contrast between parts where a high reflexive surface or "shining" that are required but not properly reflected, like polished metals or glasses.

- The dificulty of creating a code where is included the measurent of both brightness and saturation of the team color on the current RGB system.

- The viability of using other measurent methods where both brightness and saturation are considered. Having a straight convertion of HUE coloring without changing the other properties on it.

Based on that, i would like to request an upgrade on it...

My suggestion is to make the game apply team color based on HSB (HUE, Saturation, Brightness) instead of RGB, where is more simple to apply a wider range of colors from the visible specter. (Eg Magenta is 300° on the HUE) Resulting in more accurate convertion of the team color, also, allowing way bigger variety of selectable base colors to be added for matches.
Stay Awesome!
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Re: Team Coloring Upgrade.

Post by Stratego (dev) »

sorry but i do not quite understand the problems - can u post here sample images that are using current team coloring and looking bad, and a nicer one using hsv and will look nicer.

also will we need to change all asstets in all games to hsv? that would meen updateing several thousands(!) of images.
Dagravian

Post by Dagravian »

Not need any changes beside internal coding. Since there is no reason to change the magenta on the imgs... But how this magenta is converted to the other colors in game.

What i asked was to simply change how you define team coloring to an alternative that does convert the magenta considering the intended brightness and saturation of it, so when the game does convert to other colors, they should keeping such qualities made on the original image, bcz right now, if you make the magenta closer to white, the convertion isn't a closer to white, but a slightly lighter ordinary color...

But i guess another explanation with imgs might help to you understand this. I will take some time to produce them for you. But i hope this helped you a bit with to understand what i mean.
Stay Awesome!
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

some example images would help - if u say to put more "white" in teamcolor instead of only the "color" intensity than i cn do that in code with current images.

but i would need a single example unit with 3 images:
- current "pink" temcolored original
- looks currently in game colored
- needed new coloring in game
Dagravian

Post by Dagravian »

Right, made a color ramp to make easier to you understand the problem.

Currently the team color we put is this:

But the game convert to this: (incorrect)

Instead of this: (correct)

Btw, the other thing i suggested is to you consider the dark convert aswell, so we can have much better shaded teamcolors.

Considering this:

So we can have this:

And to achieve that i suggested to make the game use HSB since magenta is 300° on the HUE, while it does consider both light and shadow parts of the color. Bcz it isn't impossible to do the same on RGB measurement, but would require you to define the whole thing manually, and i think just changing is a much simple and shorter task than that. Btw, how you will do that is up to you.
Stay Awesome!
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

I totally support that.
Age of Fantasy design leader

Return to “Other discussions about the game”