Sıpahı Enhance

Put here any discussion that does not fit to the specific forums.
Aral_Yaren

Sıpahı Enhance

Post by Aral_Yaren »

For a 4 turn unit, Sipahı is really weak defensively, having only 20 hp and 3M/0P armor. Even Axe Knight has 24 hp, and furthermore Chariot has a bunch of 26 hp, and both are 3 turn units.

So I suggest to enhance the unit:
1. Raise hp 20->28 and adjust armor
3M/0P->4M/0P
2. Add +1 speed (they really depend on fast strike if they are intended to have low pierce armor)

Thanks.
There shall be times... when people across the world shall live in peace and harmony through their various diversities. I shall wait for it, even though it costs my life...
Endru1241

Re: Sıpahı Enhance

Post by Endru1241 »

Sipahi also have medium category, decreasing amount of counters and damage from bonuses and highest damage bonus among cavalry.
This makes this unit benefit most from any type of bonus damage - blacksmith, buffs, auras.

With only blacksmith it achieves exactly the same damage (and on wider range of units) vs e.g. medium infantry as Cavaliers (24 damage). Without any special investments.
Battlefield blacksmith + High Morale makes it 16 base power, so almost impossible for other units to achieve 32 damage.
Now put Battle Song on top (which probably would be limited to nordic units in the future) and it's one-shotting pretty much everything with 38 damage.
Age of Strategy design leader
Aral_Yaren

Post by Aral_Yaren »

The "less damage" is still eventually the most, as humble spearman deals a whopping 16 damage from the puny 20 hp sıpahi has. 4 hits by unupgraded archers clear them out. Even a group of more than 4 skirmishers take them with ease.

Again, their maybe seemed cool high damage is blurred by their weakness as a 4 turn unit that limits their usage only as emergency unit. And as pointed out nicely, knight is more justified to use when essential buffers and blacksmithing are provided since they can tank damage more wisely and their damage dealt aren't that much low. With the same condition even axe knight and chariot still can compete thanks to their defense (mainly hp, armor and category as medium cavalry) are surprisingly great as a 3 turn unit, oupassing sıpahi for a 4 turn unit.
There shall be times... when people across the world shall live in peace and harmony through their various diversities. I shall wait for it, even though it costs my life...
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

Problem with balancing any unit without upgrades is early game vs late game.

Chariot has better hp by +30%, but same p.armor, lower speed and only deals 55% of sipahi damage.
Axe Knight has +20% hp +1 p.armor and deals only 60% of damage.
Knight has +60% hp and +2 p. armor, but costs the same and deals 75% of the damage and is of the same cost.
With every single point of additional attack the difference in damage increases.

That 5 or 8 damage difference also makes them take less damage, as there is no counter if enemy is one-shotted.
Sipahi have enough damage to one shot pretty much all foot units in early game.
Giving it additional speed or big hp boost could make them too good then.

On late game sipahi unit cannot be compared to last upgrades, requiring often 10+ turns.
But it's still somehow usable.

That's already a success in my view.

To boost it - it would need to be removed from early game by some tech lock.
Age of Strategy design leader

Return to “Other discussions about the game”