Engine change Q - neutral units movement

Put here any discussion that does not fit to the specific forums.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Engine change Q - neutral units movement

Post by Stratego (dev) »

i just received a note that regardless of an animal or other neutral unit actual speed, the AI only walks 1 tile per turn.

does anyone have anything against neutral AI unit movement being the speed of the unit speed itself? (actually a random between 1 and max speed)

so eg:
- a deer currently moves only 1 per turn but after change it can move up to 4 tiles per turn (in aos its speed is set to be 4)
Midonik

Re: Engine change Q - neutral units movement

Post by Midonik »

Seems like a good change
Support new AoS variant, Age of Galaxy: http://ageofstrategy.net/viewforum.php? ... 608408ebc8
All help will be welcome.
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

Good for me.
But i would ask to add current behaviour as option (spec_unit_action).
There are few neutrals for whom i would prefer to keep current movement behaviour.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

then set them movement 1.
or i dont understand what u mean.
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

I can't set for them movement 1.
It is too low.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

But now they move only that amount by ai, so as they were set to 1 by code... I dont understand the problem... You said you do not want some units change, if i modify and we set those to 1 will result current behaviour
SirPat

Post by SirPat »

How about all of the neutral wild animals have their real movement and all neutral human unuts walk 1 tile. So u could see wild bears and etc roaming around the map. I mean who wouldnt want to be attacked by a wild bear?
I am Pat :>

I barely visit the forums, but when I do and u saw me reading your post. Expect a whole paragraph to be released about your topic. well except if I like your idea and the idea is perfect as it is, if so ill give u my support
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

I see absolutely no reason why would any unit be limited in movement, when their parameters would allow more tiles.

If some weird behaviour like that would be desired, then it should be by spec, so that it could be granted by triggers to all units.
Age of Strategy design leader
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

That is exactly what i am asking — spec unit action that gives for neutral unit walking speed 1 if it does not meet some special conditions (for example if enemy is within its sight range).
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

there is no reason for specunit action, at least i dont see, we can set the unit to be slower,
but please tell me examples and reasons why so maybe i see why is that needed - thanks!
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

For example we have wandering slow mindless zombie who walks around with speed 1 right until it sences brains and starts to walk with its full speed towards food.

Or something similar with hostile neutral units.
Just a reminder that they have speed higher than 1 (one hostile neutral mounted unit has speed 6) but normally they either stand still or walk mindlessly around very slowly... Until they find prey.
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

this is a very special thing, not sure it is to be implemented (a multi speed neutral unit - we do not have that currently)
neutral unit should have one type of speed generally, can be 1 or more but only one of that.

so here we not plan to introduce multi speed neutral units, only normal single speed units, as currently we have single speed units (with fixed 1 movementrange currently), that can be changed to be the movementrange of the neutral unit setting (1 or more if needed)
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

But that is current behaviour of neutral hostile units.

Right now they wander around for 1 tile up until they see the prey. When they see the prey within their sight range they use their full speed to get to enemy.

Can't we set this "random 1 tile movement for neutrals" as spec_unit_action that is overridden by "gaia_hostile" spec_unit_action when it sees the prey?
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

Right now they wander around for 1 tile up until they see the prey. When they see the prey within their sight range they use their full speed to get to enemy.
really? i did not know :)

i dont plan to puttin too many specactions.

but maybe a "one_tile_wandering" vould do - but i dont like specs that include any "number" in it.

maybe i drop this topic :)

Return to “Other discussions about the game”