GUIDE: NEW UNIT making - simple case - based on an existing file

Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

GUIDE: NEW UNIT making - simple case - based on an existing file

Post by Stratego (dev) »

For a new unit my suggestion as easiest to start:

1. make it based on on a unit that is most similar starting with its "race" so if u have eg. a AA unit already within a race (now you have many) than use one of those to make a new unit.
2. textual id: all new units needs a new textual ID (eg like "UNIT_GER_AA_SOMETHING"), here we generally show the "race" of unit and its "classification" eg. "AA", and its name.
3. numerical id: all new units needs a new numerical id, for this email me the textual id and i can return its numerical id to use.
4. buildlist: in buildlist.json file it needs to be listed
5. starting age: in file_relations.txt here you can set starting age find the line starts with "[TECH_AGE_MID]->" or "[TECH_AGE_END]->" and using the textual id you can put there if needed.
6. wiki link: you need to update the wiki links, here on forum how: viewtopic.php?f=216&t=12800
7. unit image: you can face two cases:
a) unit image same size as copied unit: simply change unit image name to image name (that also should be nice image naming as written in here: viewtopic.php?f=216&t=592)
b) is unit size is different: than look up a unit that has same size and use that or learn these: viewtopic.php?f=216&t=6450
8. unit name and flavour text: for name and text i need 2 lines (name and the other is the description):

Code: Select all

<string name="UNIT_US_AAA_BOFORS40">Bofors 40</string>
    <string name="UNIT_TXT_US_AAA_BOFORS40"> Bofors 40 are mostly used defensively to take down aircraft. They may not be as effective as fighter planes, but in enough numbers they can take down aircraft with ease.</string>
in case of wiki linked unit the description details are a few lines from teh wikipedia page itself,
also about text lengths and other rules: viewtopic.php?f=216&t=12238

that is all

Tools for editing jsons:
viewtopic.php?p=72271

naturally for more complex cases there are many other things in the unit json file eg. "templates", and also in related files (eg. effects files)
- but in general all knowledge is here about unit definition jsons: viewforum.php?f=216
- and effects and other files here: viewforum.php?f=215

Return to “Unit Design”