upgrades for Hoplites, Legionnaires, etc? - ANSWERED

goose88

upgrades for Hoplites, Legionnaires, etc? - ANSWERED

Post by goose88 »

After a month of playing I finally noticed that my Swordsmith lvl 1+2, infantry armor, and cavalry armor upgrades via the Blacksmith do not actually updgrade some of the bonus units that should fall into those categories. Was this an oversight or done intentionally? Once you've got a few upgrades done it basically makes all the advanced units obsolete. Hoplites and Legionnaires should get the infantry upgrades, and templar knights should get the cavalry upgrades. I suppose I understand if a missionary doesn't get a cavalry armor upgrade since it doesn't really have any armor (or a sword). It would make the online games more interesting by providing more balance late-game instead of just spamming 2-turn upgraded Man-at-Arms the entire time.
TheBluePhoenix

Re: Why no blacksmith upgrades for Hoplites, Legionnaires, e

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

Agreed
BEWARE!!!!The long lost empire of phoenicia is rising- The world is but just near the golden age,wherein men played and frolicked,without any worries at all

DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Post by DoomCarrot »

This was discussed before, it is intentional. I'll explain:

Hoplitess, legionairres, etc are very powerful units if used correctly, at any point in the game really. However, you can spend many turns upgrading units to make them more effective than the special units. For example, legionairres are basically powerful swordsmen with 4 cost. However, a fully upgraded man-at-arms has almost the same stats as a legionairre, but a cost of 2, thus making legionairres mostly obsolete.

So basically, special units are more effective early game, but weak basic units have more potential to be useful late game.
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
mickmackmike

Post by mickmackmike »

Maybe they should have half upgrades applied at least,,,,,,

At least in multiplayer almost nobody uses Roman units,, sometimes only because the building is stronger and you are in the map middle but that is the only time I have seen them used recently,,,,,

Even in the start of the game,,, because having the upgrades is really vital there is no point ever to build these units because upgrades are so vital to getting an upper hand and everything you do in the beginning counts for later. On a small map you only have so many tcs so upgrading is more vital, on a larger map you have more but you have longer duration to upgrade things before being attacked so in both scenarios there is no reason.

I tried against goose in this a recent game to make an surprise attack with templer knights to try and extend range against siege and trebuchet that there was no way to navigate because of the map. But without the upgrade applied they were useless.

My thoughts anyhow!
----
3M - ( Mike M )

Return to “ARCHIVED - Answered suggestions”