Multiplayer Campaign

Discuss any running multiplayer game or Find partners to play with.
ProtectorLordGarmin

Multiplayer Campaign

Post by ProtectorLordGarmin »

I am making a series of maps that are meant to be played by 6 players as a team, and they link together with a story, thus making it an unofficial multiplayer Campaign. Is there any way to like bundle the maps together or something so that they can be played by anyone, using the maps in order? Or do I require the dev version for that?
Leader of the Aegis Protectorate, the proud Defenders of Ambidia! If you would like some heavy protection, we can do some mercenary work... but such elite warriors come with an elite price.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Re: Multiplayer Campaign

Post by Stratego (dev) »

currenly only individual maps can be launched as multiplayer :(
ProtectorLordGarmin

I am aware of this. What I meant was is there some way you could present them individually in a row to make it look more Campaign-y? Like maybe locking the second map until the first is completed, and the third until the second is completed, so players must go through all the maps in order to play the full thing?
Leader of the Aegis Protectorate, the proud Defenders of Ambidia! If you would like some heavy protection, we can do some mercenary work... but such elite warriors come with an elite price.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

i can show them in order, so they come after each other. i can not lock them though.
ProtectorLordGarmin

Oh well. At the very least it would show people that they should play them in that order.
About other matters, I have 3 questions
1 why are triggers so complicated? Can't you just use simpler vocabulary like "change unit name to" instead of the jumbled jargon we see in the game?
2 what does the "send to dev" button do in the map editor?
3 shit, I managed to forget my third question in about 3 seconds what a dumb ass I am
Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

1. You see that map editor is still on beta right?
For newcomers, click here for discord links. Hopefully they aren't expired.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

why are triggers so complicated? Can't you just use simpler vocabulary like "change unit name to" instead of the jumbled jargon we see in the game?
i made them feeling as best - i am open to suggestions for all namings.
(i used to put in the "field" names so you dont need to look up the help to know which field should be set to what value)

what does the "send to dev" button do in the map editor?
to send me the map to put in game.
shit, I managed to forget my third question in about 3 seconds what a dumb ass I am
yes it is implementable, but takes some time :)
ProtectorLordGarmin

I'm writing up the story on a Google Doc. Once I get to like, idk, map 6 or something, I will send it over so you can see how it fits together. If there are any questions send them over and I can answer or amend the story a bit.
Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

This seems interesting
Can't wait to play a new campaign.
ProtectorLordGarmin

I hope you have some friends, then, because this whole thing will be a series of six player maps, with a story to it.
It will be chaotic, and it won't go your way every time, namely because the two sides to this have Canon outcoms: one side is meant to triumph over the other, but you arrange it first and pick a colour to play as. The colours are Red Green Blue Yellow Cyan and Orange. When you play, I hope you will pick a colour and stick with it, though I'm unable to enforce that rule.
And yes, I do hope you have fun playing it. I'm no expert in map design, and I'm a stickler for large scale battles, but hopefully you, or some people, will like it.

Also, when it's finished, do you mind becoming my friend so we can start the first official game of this campaign?
Fighting alongside such legends from the forum would be any gamer's dream, and it's frankly my dream too. I wonder If I can best any of you...
Also also, would you mind joining the 2 man team with me to play the campaign (I'll be Cyan, you be Orange: in the campaign those colours denote the two parts of the Central Empire's army)
ProtectorLordGarmin

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dZA ... sp=sharing
here's the google doc. I'm writing through the end of the war in the story rn.
Squirrel5555

Post by Squirrel5555 »

This sounds cool
AOD Team - Join Us!
ProtectorLordGarmin

Has anyone actually read the Google doc?
The entire plot is there. Read it.
Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

Its awesome !
Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

I only read first part though I'll continue later.
ProtectorLordGarmin

Say... Could I maybe have a map drawn up of the continent, so I can show how the battles I am talking about are affecting how territory is being seized and taken away, and where which battles occur where, and where each battle in the map is happening. If you want details ask me and I will give you a bunch of details of where each thing is
ProtectorLordGarmin

uh hey guys, i finished the story. So what's going to go on about my map drawn idea? is that not happening?
Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

ProtectorLordGarmin wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:03 pm uh hey guys, i finished the story. So what's going to go on about my map drawn idea? is that not happening?
Great, but you still didn't create a map?
Without a map draft a story for the campaign is useless.
Try doing a sketch on a paper then try to do it on map editor. Thats what I do for my campaigns.
ProtectorLordGarmin

Ah, no, what i meant is a kind of map they have on the historical battles pages.
It would show all 5 factions and how they gain/lose territory over the course of the war, changing each time.
Like a big map encompassing the continent and island (Amliera and Lenasl respectively)
Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

Hmm that'll be hard to make.
Wish you luck.
ProtectorLordGarmin

... Uh so do you want like me to draw the continent and islandin pencil and send the pictures so it can get properly done or what? It's relatively simple, just one map, and edit the colours each time to show wins and losses, and mark out where important parts are, etc. I mean I can do it but since school started last week it'll take some time.
Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

ProtectorLordGarmin wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:13 pm ... Uh so do you want like me to draw the continent and islandin pencil and send the pictures so it can get properly done or what? It's relatively simple, just one map, and edit the colours each time to show wins and losses, and mark out where important parts are, etc. I mean I can do it but since school started last week it'll take some time.
When im about to create a map i draw the layout of the map, where the trees are the water the base. More like a quick doodle. Once you got the img In your mind go to map editor and just do it. It'll be easier. But I only made 2 campaigns(The one's coming on the next update) so far so other opinions would be good too. I prefer to make maps on 20×20 to 30x30 because big maps is hard and time consuming to do since decorations and other stuff has more space to go to. Triggers are really not a problem but time consuming because of the testing and stuff.
ProtectorLordGarmin

You're not listening to me. Look, let's take it slower. You see the battle drawings, on the "Historical Battles" Missions?

Return to “Multiplayer discussions”