Sikorsky R-4 Hoverfly/Sikorsky R-6/Helicopters in WW2!?

ZakTheBuilder1
Location: From boats of runaways to the #1 military in the world

Sikorsky R-4 Hoverfly/Sikorsky R-6/Helicopters in WW2!?

Post by ZakTheBuilder1 »

Sikorsky R-4 Hoverfly
The Sikorsky R-4 Hoverfly was an early utility helicopter that was used by the United States during World War II.
DESCRIPTION
The R-4 had a single Warner R-550 piston-engine that was capable of propelling it at speeds of up to 120 kilometers per hour. However, it was later discovered in the field that this was slightly underpowered, which could cause some problems in the field, especially in the critical time it took to recover lost personnel. The R-4 required only a single pilot to operate, though could carry another passenger. The operational range of the craft was around 370 kilometers and a service ceiling of 2,340 meters.[1]

The total weight of the R-4 was around 952 kilograms with a total length of 14.7 meters. Rotor diameter meanwhile was 11.6 meters. The reliability of the R-4 was good enough for operational service, though the craft did experience some troubles in the CBI theater where it initially served, particularly the humidity caused by the jungle conditions, which made the Warner engine struggle.[2]

VARIANTS
The first variant of the YR-4 or later designated R-4 was the R-4B model, now equipped with a more powerful Warner R-550-3 engine providing more thrust. A total of 100 examples of this type were built, more than any other type of "Hoverfly". The Hoverfly Mk I was merely a redesignation of the original R-4. The 22 R-4Bs in US Navy service were designated HNS-1

HISTORY
The R-4 Hoverfly was developed as the VS-316A in 1941 by Igor Sikorsky, following previous developments into rotorcraft technology. It first flew in early 1942, being accepted for service only a few months later. This prototype was designated the XR-4. Most notably, it had outperformed every other attempt at a helicopter before it. At around the same time, seven examples of the R-4 were sent to Great Britain. The first production models finally left the prototype phase in 1943. It wasn't until mid 1944 that the R-4 finally saw its first combat operation.[4] This took place in the CBI theater in which an R-4B was used to rescue several lost airmen. Afterwards, the R-4 was used in various other operations, notably serving as repair vehicles, ferrying parts between ships in the South Pacific. The first R-4s finally entered the Western Front with Britain in 1945. In total, around 131 examples had been produced during World War II.

Sikorsky R-6
The Sikorsky R-6 is an American light two-seat helicopter of the 1940s. In Royal Air Force and Royal Navy service, it was named the Hoverfly II.

DEVELOPMENT
The R-6/Hoverfly II was developed to improve on the successful Sikorsky R-4. In order to enhance performance, a completely new streamlined fuselage was designed and the boom carrying the tail rotor was lengthened and straightened. The main rotor and transmission system of the R-4 were retained.[1] Sikorsky allotted their Model 49 designation to the new design. Later, dynamically-balanced modifications to the rotor were carried out by Doman Helicopters Inc. The new aircraft could attain 100 mph compared with 82 mph by the earlier design.

HISTORY
The first R-6s were delivered to the United States Army Air Forces (USAAF) in late 1944 and some were transferred to the United States Navy (USN). It was initially intended to pass 150 R-6s to the Royal Air Force (RAF), but delays caused by the switch of production from Sikorsky's factory at Stratford, Connecticut to Nash-Kelvinator at Detroit Michigan meant that only 27 R-6As were actually delivered to the RAF as the Hoverfly II.[2] Fifteen of these were passed on to the Royal Navy's Fleet Air Arm (FAA).[3]

Some of the RAF examples were allotted to 657 Squadron RAF for proving the use of helicopters in the Army Co-operation role, and two external stretchers could be fitted to the fuselage. 657 Squadron operated their Hoverfly IIs as Air Observation Posts, spotting for Army artillery units. The Hoverfly IIs remained in operation until April 1951, and one squadron example was displayed at the September 1950 Farnborough Air Show.[4]

The FAA used their Hoverfly IIs in the training and liaison roles. Naval units to use the type included 771 Squadron from December 1945, followed by 705 Squadron.

The USAAF operated their R-6s in secondary roles and the survivors were redesignated H-6A in 1948. The USN examples were designated the HOS-1 and a further 64 were intended to be transferred from the USAAF, but this did not take place.

Disposals of surplus military S-49s were made in the civil market in the late 1940s but none now remain in operation. Four are currently displayed in US museums.[5]

LINKS
https://world-war-2.wikia.org/wiki/Siko ... 4_Hoverfly
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikorsky_R-6

ROLE IN GAME
These early birds will either transport infantry or have some sort of weapons but IRL no weapons.
The turn cost would be five for the early model and the upgraded would have more speed so seven for it
This would allow for individual infantrymen to hop out of the helicopter, this would work like a flying truck
The early model will hold one infantry, the other will hold two.

I was shocked when I saw these
AoWW, AoMW, AoV Graphic Designer

Like History
Like Rock
Listen to Sabaton
Shark guy 35

Re: Sikorsky R-4 Hoverfly/Sikorsky R-6/Helicopters in WW2!?

Post by Shark guy 35 »

I don't want to be rude, but I don't think helicopters should be in the game. They were used only in incredibly rare scenarios, and I don't think they fit with the theme.
"A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week".
-General George S. Patton
ZakTheBuilder1

Post by ZakTheBuilder1 »

I Beg to differ!
There rare
They don't fit?
These are reasons to add them
The game would be unique and have a new vehicle. why not?
They are probably easier to shoot down.
They were used in ww2 so they fit
There ugly and rugged they fit
Not to be rude, I think your wrong

Also the game has prototype things that weren't even built or make sense
Cough cough ratte , chi ri, and other stuff I can't name

Maybe they can be a fun unit
Or a special unit that you win or something special.
But they should atleast have a place because they were actually used

Like History
Like Rock
Listen to Sabaton
Veritum Nazarenvs

Post by Veritum Nazarenvs »

Nah man...
we should add it to the game as a normal unit
Veritum Nazarenvs

Post by Veritum Nazarenvs »

and include also the german british and soviet ones
ZakTheBuilder1

Post by ZakTheBuilder1 »

The other nations didnt have good helicopters they might of had like one seater prototype
If you find any like complete helios make a post.

Like History
Like Rock
Listen to Sabaton
Jasondunkel

Post by Jasondunkel »

dev and i don´t like that idear
ZakTheBuilder1

Post by ZakTheBuilder1 »

k

Like History
Like Rock
Listen to Sabaton
Huttensohn

Post by Huttensohn »

I have to say that in this game there are a lot of rare units, especially all those German late war tanks.
My Name is Trior in age of Modern wars (second most multiplayer wins)
Shark guy 35

Post by Shark guy 35 »

I think that these could at least be map editor only.
"A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week".
-General George S. Patton

Return to “Planes (last cleanup: 20240130)”