Jqwan

Re: railroad and trains

Post by Jqwan »

That's good!
Midonik

Post by Midonik »

Right
Support new AoS variant, Age of Galaxy: http://ageofstrategy.net/viewforum.php? ... 608408ebc8
All help will be welcome.
Midonik

Post by Midonik »

How about trains with guns (I dont know how to call them)? They will cant carry units (or carry much less than normal) but got more HP and attack.
Support new AoS variant, Age of Galaxy: http://ageofstrategy.net/viewforum.php? ... 608408ebc8
All help will be welcome.
samuelch

Trains

Post by samuelch »

I think it's a good idea to add trains. Workers will be able to build train tracks that work like a bridge for train. Trains can only move on train tracks. There will be railroad artillery too.
samuelch

Re: Trains

Post by samuelch »

Image for train tracks as terrain.
Attachments
railway.png
railway.png (25.87 KiB) Viewed 3293 times
Dan301002

Post by Dan301002 »

Good for moving units in fast amount. Tho rather than that, why don't we make the front & rear as different things (build separately, but still connected). The rear will be infantry carrier (holds a lot of units, 3-4), that railroad artillery, and don't forget armored trains. :lol:
Currently exploring the wonder of dimension.
samuelch

Post by samuelch »

Trains work like moving wall. The cart behind other cart cannot surpass the cart in front of it (but carts are garrisonable, so you can change the order). Every nations build train in Town (except for Soviet, the Soviet gets unique building called train manufactory). Train manufactory build trains related stuff and can be garrisoned with 4 trains unit.

Unit list:
Locomotive
Infantry cart (carry infantry)
Artillery cart (moving turret)
AA cart (moving aa)
Platform cart (carry 2 light tanks or medium tanks)
Unique Trains unit:
Ba-10 (Soviet anti tank armored vehicle that can change it's wheel from track to wheel)
Schewer Gustav cart (German deadly and expensive long range artillery)

All carts speed is 1 by default. The speed will change when adjacent to a locomotive or 4 tiles away from a locomotive.
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

I can make the trains, who would like to make the carts?
Unless Samuel already takes that role.
OLÉ
Sunrise Samurai

Post by Sunrise Samurai »

Trains seem like one of those ideas that are great in theory, effective in real life, but fizzle out when put to the game. It's hard to force units to move together, and restricting movement to tracks that on all reasonableness a savvy enemy would destroy given half a chance..... believe me, they didn't have electrified rails sending confirmation signals that the system is intact back then, so a bomb dropped on the track could take out the next train after if nobody notices.
The glorious sun rises again
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

You're probably right they might only be able to work in RTS with Fog of War. However, we could use them as props for campaigns in whichever way we plan to use them.
OLÉ
samuelch

Post by samuelch »

Or maybe all carts and locomotive can be just one unit based from real ww2 trains in service. We can find info about all carts it have and make the stats based from all the cart it have. Ba10 can stay because it moves independently on track. Soviet tank manufacturer can stay.
Belfry777

Post by Belfry777 »

this topic has potential. What if you could build a rail road track and you could make connections between tank factory's and tcs to the front line. Now that would be cool!! :D
A thousand may fall at your side,
And ten thousand at your right hand;
But it shall not come near you.
Only with your eyes shall you look,
And see the reward of the wicked.
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

"Armored train" that was called.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Belfry777

Post by Belfry777 »

nice picture!
General Brave

Post by General Brave »

It's could carry units and attack.
Wise, Might, Loyalty. Forever stands Warfell.
Belfry777

Post by Belfry777 »

well if it had a gun car.
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

Soviets had 6 or 7 battle trains.
They were used to transport ammunition and infantry and to cover railroads.
And they had mashine guns, tank turrets, antiaircraft gun...
they were designed as Mobile Anti-everything fortresses that can hold on its own place against even 50-100 tanks with help of infantry and aircraft.
Also it still had less armor on the top and 4 wagons were destroyed by nazi bombers. But only wagons - not the whole train. and they were vurable to diversions on the railroads - like mines.

I think that this can be something like Castles in AoS but without ability to build something and instead with ability to move, huge amount of hp, buildable only on railroad and by engeneers or infantry for 24 turns that has insane armor (Tigers couldn't break its armor from 100 meters even from 5th shot to the same place!), good attack, several actions per turn and has bonuses against everything exept naval units. (But no one-shot-one-kill for medium and heavy tanks)

Also not all nations had this - only soviets and nazi.
There even was one battle between two these battle trains. That was hard and costed loss of several wagons but soviet battle train almost destroyed nazi one.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Belfry777

Post by Belfry777 »

well i'll get started on the track.
Harchie Hirondo

Post by Harchie Hirondo »

Okay guys, any suggestions about this?
My idea is to make railroads buildable like the roads...
Once a track is built, you could build a train station on a railroad, which will build trains. However, there's a quite problem since the train should be a 2x1 (length and width), which might not be supported in game. It will be weird too if the train is facing left or right while going upwards or downwards. You could build three types of trains: passenger train(can carry a lot of units), armored train(can carry some units and is well-armored, already discussed above), supply train(can speed up production of factories, by probably summoning supplies(?)) adjacent to itself. There could be some other types too... I remember that some tanks were delivered to the frontlines using carrier trains(?)
Trains will be fast, quite the same speed as planes, with a speed of ~6-8 tiles per turn? Trains should only move on railroads.
Wagons can be added too, and some other units that are currently in game will be able to move well on railroads(e.g. Type 95 So-Ki armored railroad car)
Railroads can be destroyed too, so if a track is missing, it cannot go through it... :)
The war is inevitable! But what if....
Urss2004

Post by Urss2004 »

It seems very nice
NurKaiser

Post by NurKaiser »

Harchie Hirondo wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:50 am Okay guys, any suggestions about this?
Once a track is built, you could build a train station on a railroad, which will build trains. However, there's a quite problem since the train should be a 2x1 (length and width), which might not be supported in game. It will be weird too if the train is facing left or right while going upwards or downwards. You could build three types of trains: passenger train(can carry a lot of units), armored train(can carry some units and is well-armored, already discussed above), supply train(can speed up production of factories, by probably summoning supplies(?)) adjacent to itself. There could be some other types too... I remember that some tanks were delivered to the frontlines using carrier trains(?)
Trains will be fast, quite the same speed as planes, with a speed of ~6-8 tiles per turn? Trains should only move on railroads.
Wagons can be added too, and some other units that are currently in game will be able to move well on railroads(e.g. Type 95 So-Ki armored railroad car)
Railroads can be destroyed too, so if a track is missing, it cannot go through it... :)
I like your version, but I think we should have train artillery too. They won't transport units, but they will have great damage and extremal range
Shark guy 35

Post by Shark guy 35 »

Sounds like it will work pretty well.
"A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week".
-General George S. Patton
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

i have merged here the train topics

so here we can discuss the problems - these were my last assumtions:

@Harchie Hirondo and @Jasondunkel suggested it again.
the problems are:

the problem is the train itself.
if the train would be a 1x1 sized thing that is omnidirectional it would look good and could be done without coding.

but a train is long and its appearance defines its direction
and it can "turn" also on a corner

so to look good the train should have : at least 4 direction image (moving up, down, left, right) or even 8 direction as we generally have diagonal roads / rails too - and maybe some turning bending thingie - but we can not change appearance like this

but if anyone have a good idea of an omnidirectional train appearance than we can do it.
TrueSlav

Post by TrueSlav »

I guess one rather simple solution is to make rail type terrain simply add to unit speed and railway cannons to be buildings buildable only on rail type terrain. This is more of a temporary solution to the problem, but it's one that is most doable from what it seems.
Support the new project set in the 1850s to the 1930s.
Forum link:
viewforum.php?f=359
Discord link:
https://discord.gg/BwnPATZtfr
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

What about a 1x1 train including locomotive with the same view as navy ships?

There can b different types of trains as built in the train station:

Passenger train for carrying infantry

Cart train for carrying vehicles and tanks

Artillery train of different kinds for different nations with different capabilities (but may b no garrison so the train itself is an individual unit with inside soldiers fixed)

May b there can also b a different gameplay: train can b transformed or "derailed". Derailed train can have 1 speed but move through normal land terrains and roads and when it stands on a different rail line it can transform into normal fast train again

Train can also b garrisoned in cities beside train station
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

my idea was making the train in an 1x1 tile - maybe only the engine of the train "symbolising" a long train.
Vinz91

Post by Vinz91 »

Or a perspective view a bit like ships?
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

that would look wrong in all directions :)

but not sure maybe we shoudl make a few example images.
Harchie Hirondo

Post by Harchie Hirondo »

Harchie Hirondo wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:50 am Okay guys, any suggestions about this?
Well, here's my thoughts on this one. But up to you guys...
To make the trains 1x1, we could make the trains separated into cars or maybe sections? Maybe?
There would be two main types of train cars, one would be the operator car which would move fast but only one to two carry capacity.
Then, there'd also be a passenger car which would be slow on its own, but has two to four carry capacity and it would receive a speed buff when it's adjacent to an operator car.
The problem I've encountered when I was supposed to test this out before, is that I can't make the aura effect stick on the passenger car when the unit is outside of its aura. :(
The war is inevitable! But what if....

Return to “Implemented/Closed ones”