Sword Match

Put here any ideas about new suggested game types comes into your mind.
Hyuhjhih
Location: Earth, (the part of blue ball and is named India for some reasons)

Sword Match

Post by Hyuhjhih »

I have been conducting this type of mp matches now, players are giving a good response. But also i faced some issues since i can't restrict some of the features.

The idea is simple.
  • a not so large map preferably 20x20 to 30x30 with quite neat decoration tiles.
  • restricted units
  • defined rules
Allowing only units under melee foot
Restricted conversions.
Healing units are monk and chapel only. Though templars are allowed.
Banning units under misc, siege,ranged,mounted,elephants.
Builders are inevitable as well as walls and gates and allowing stone and palisade varieties.
  • guard tower
  • fortress
  • shooting tower
  • fort
  • crossbow tower
  • long bow tower
are allowed
Units can be trained and researched at TCs barracks and fortified barracks
Weapon Smith can research melee techs
Melee foot units with any throwing ability like Maori warrior and praetorian are banned.
Melee foot units with misc category like viking berserk are banned.
Melee make shift blacksmith ability is allowed.
And the main point , all of the allowed troops should be usable by all player, whether they have the upgrade brought or not.
What do you think @Endru1241 and @Stratego (dev) . can be implemented?
Last edited by Hyuhjhih on Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
LIE = Love Is Eternal.

Design leader of the variants Age of Gods and Age Of Civilization, and live heartedly contributing to AoS.

AoC discord server is up AoC
DreJaDe

Re: Sword Match

Post by DreJaDe »

To add some good tactics.

A flanking maneuver from a cavalry should be added while also having some javelin units.

This would really add some realism feel to it like in the time 200bc type battles
Hyuhjhih

Post by Hyuhjhih »

No no no. No cavalry and ranged. It will ruin the concept.
LIE = Love Is Eternal.

Design leader of the variants Age of Gods and Age Of Civilization, and live heartedly contributing to AoS.

digimon666

Post by digimon666 »

What about throwing axeman? His atk is not exactly an ability
Hyuhjhih

Post by Hyuhjhih »

digimon666 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:30 am What about throwing axeman? His atk is not exactly an ability
Well his range >1. So expelled. But why is it not in ranged category. It is in melee foot even though it throws axes. Must have been a mistake.
LIE = Love Is Eternal.

Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

Hyuhjhih wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:38 am
digimon666 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:30 am What about throwing axeman? His atk is not exactly an ability
Well his range >1. So expelled. But why is it not in ranged category. It is in melee foot even though it throws axes. Must have been a mistake.
It was intended. It's basically a melee unit with a range. Thats why he deals melee damage instead of pierce. Hence a foot category.

If this game mode only allows melee foot units, unit's like Axe Thrower or Pikeman would definitely be in it.
For newcomers, click here for discord links. Hopefully they aren't expired.
Hyuhjhih

Post by Hyuhjhih »

But a ranged unit with moderate range 4 and speed 3 won't do good while he can he can still hit and run without getting countered. This would give them supremacy
LIE = Love Is Eternal.

Hyuhjhih

Post by Hyuhjhih »

Wait he got throwing category. Pikeman won't be a problem i presume
LIE = Love Is Eternal.

Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

With this many bans, I doubt someone other than you would even use it.
Church is banned? Then why the heck are the templars even allowed?
Hyuhjhih wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:38 am But a ranged unit with moderate range 4 and speed 3 won't do good while he can he can still hit and run without getting countered. This would give them supremacy
Range 3* and not really. There are a number of melee units that could do a good work against it. For example, Spartan hoplite, an armoured unit or Any speed 4 units like Gaelic fighter and ekrdromoi. Plus it can't be upgraded since Nordic hall is banned. Only its unique blacksmith upgrade.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

without coding it is already possible, just design a map called "Only melee map" or something, and make triggers that restricts builds.
Hyuhjhih

Post by Hyuhjhih »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:26 am
without coding it is already possible, just design a map called "Only melee map" or something, and make triggers that restricts builds.
Hyuhjhih wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:04 am And the main point , all of the allowed troops should be usable by all player, whether they have the upgrade brought or not.
what about this part. Is possible to keep an even match?
LIE = Love Is Eternal.

Hyuhjhih

Post by Hyuhjhih »

QuadrupoleStrat wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:48 am With this many bans, I doubt someone other than you would even use it.
Hyuhjhih wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:38 am But a ranged unit with moderate range 4 and speed 3 won't do good while he can he can still hit and run without getting countered. This would give them supremacy
Range 3* and not really. There are a number of melee units that could do a good work against it. For example, Spartan hoplite, an armoured unit or Any speed 4 units like Gaelic fighter and ekrdromoi. Plus it can't be upgraded since Nordic hall is banned. Only its unique blacksmith upgrade.
Actually its currently the seventh match with two of them declared in global chats. And players are giving good responses even without axe thrower. May be axe thrower can be checked if balanced in map.
Templars, the normal one is buildable in TC.
Hopefully the hoplite, huskarl(not available) ,gallowglass, and ekrdromai are the only unit to keep up with axethrower excluding heavier tiers and mercs. If done the math you could see gaelic fighter on a face to face with axe thrower, the axe thrower can still wipe it unharmed.
LIE = Love Is Eternal.

Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

Hyuhjhih wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:27 am
QuadrupoleStrat wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:48 am With this many bans, I doubt someone other than you would even use it.
Actually its currently the seventh match with two of them declared in global chats. And players are giving good responses even without axe thrower. May be axe thrower can be checked if balanced in map.
Templars, the normal one is buildable in TC.
Hopefully the hoplite, huskarl(not available) ,gallowglass, and ekrdromai are the only unit to keep up with axethrower excluding heavier tiers and mercs. If done the math you could see gaelic fighter on a face to face with axe thrower, the axe thrower can still wipe it unharmed.
I see.

Templars - Forgot.

Gaelic fighter shouldn't be used as a 1 on 1 unit. More like a Damaging scout. It can kill a wounded axe thrower though. If you really want this game mode, then make the map. Triggers can be a bother though, you'll need to restrict all ranged units and the buildings etc.
Hyuhjhih

Post by Hyuhjhih »

Hyuhjhih wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:10 am
Stratego (dev) wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:26 am
Hyuhjhih wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:04 am And the main point , all of the allowed troops should be usable by all player, whether they have the upgrade brought or not.
what about this part. Is possible to keep an even match?
This is more important Quaddy. No one want a guardian parade over T1swordsman newbie
LIE = Love Is Eternal.

Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

I do not know.. Seems possible with the use of triggers.
Hyuhjhih

Post by Hyuhjhih »

Yep it need admin lvl. Thats why i mentioned them.
LIE = Love Is Eternal.

Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

Yes I think it is possible.
With the use of triggers.

I forgot the name of the effect but you can enable the units you didn't even unlock to be trained In its respective factories. Though, it will be time consuming. Just see if there is a better way.
DreJaDe

Post by DreJaDe »

It can be done with triggers.

Though banning most units with trigger will of course takes time.

That's what I did with my campaign to limit what player can build.

It can also be done to limit what units a factory can make.
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

Hyuhjhih wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:04 am I have been conducting this type of mp matches now, players are giving a good response. But also i faced some issues since i can't restrict some of the features.
can be implemented?
Well as dev already answered it would require coding, meaning there is no tools in the engine to make it so, so my hands are tied.
As far as I know no new modes were ever implemented, as most ideas would require huge amount of coding, for little effect, so I doubt it will be made anytime soon (or ever).
DreJaDe wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:29 pm It can be done with triggers.

Though banning most units with trigger will of course takes time.

That's what I did with my campaign to limit what player can build.

It can also be done to limit what units a factory can make.
There is a trigger to disallow all, then correct units could be allowed. Maybe it's easier this way.

Although I am not sure there is any way to use scenarios (map with triggers) for multiplier play. Is there?
Age of Strategy design leader
Hyuhjhih

Post by Hyuhjhih »

Conclusion from 5 out of 7 trial sword matches conducted with some good players cooperation
  • nice reviews ( i asked them to share their experiences in this topic
  • ninja having stealth mode ( prepare for assassination) and ranged shuriken is not a good idea. It would be nice if ninjas could be allowed without these abilities in the sword match
  • Maori warrior, Roman praetorian, etc with ranged abilities were totally excluded and it was pretty much nice.
  • axe throwers, in normal tier is acceptable, as far the nordic hall , which can upgrade to tier 2 axe throwers is banned.
  • keeps the balance between flail, mace, and AoE melee like zweihander and gallowglass
  • many of the underused eventual units mace and flails which were explicitly used for dealing heavy got better usage here.
  • all melee units are balanced against others alone or with a combination. ie, cost efficiency.
  • towers and units are mutually countered in most cases.
  • involvement of a proper counter system.
    Heavy 》medium 》light 》towers 》anti heavy 》heavy ◇
LIE = Love Is Eternal.

godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

wait mace and flail is actually underused? i always have mace for heavy melee, flail for heavy cav and melee, and skirmisher for archers ready, i also keep samurai for towers and siege towers, and berserker/gallowglass + druid combo for tank + melee anti castle with action buff spells
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools

Return to “New game types in the game (like capture the flag)”