Game mode/modifier

Put here any ideas about new suggested game types comes into your mind.
The Pendulum

Game mode/modifier

Post by The Pendulum »

I was thinking about ways to make the random skirmishes more tactical, and I wondered why nobody has suggested this already: what about introducing a population cap based on how much each unit costs?

So, for example, an army is given 200 pop cap. A basic swordsmen will take 2 of that pop cap. Build 5 swordsmen, and you have 10 of your pop cap used. So you're sitting at 10/200 pop cap. Build a hoplite, and now you're at 18/200 population. This would force players to consider when to build what, as well as prevent steamrolling opponents late game and possibly givenear defeated players a chance for a comeback.

I think in most instances, 200 pop cap *might* be too much, 140-160 might be a better choice. This way, you can no longer endlessly spam hoplites or whatever, now your army composition is much more valuable in it's available space. This would also prevent endless pain trains from rolling through and *never* ending. Lol
DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Re: Game mode/modifier

Post by DoomCarrot »

I was thinking this exact same thing a while back... Ok, not the exact, but I was picturing having to build houses and stuff, which I suddenly realized would be a pain, and thus didn't think much else of it.

However, I think you may have something here. Adding a SIMPLE game mechanic like having 200 max pop constantly (maybe have an upgrade or two to get +pop?) and then giving each unit a pop score would be really neat. It would:

1. Give some units advantages/disatvantages. For instance, siege weapons could cost lots of pop for all the people to operate them, which would help prevent siege spamming.

2. It would prevent my favorite strategy of "make a different cheap unit in every tc and just use them how you want each turn." I have found this to be a super effective strategy in every situation, it requires no strategy, and it is honestly quite lame. I've tried to start strategically making hussars/spartans just to spice up the game, but always resort back to clogging up the map with hordes of pikemen, swordmen, skirmies, and archers. because a small army with one of each of those units can basically deal with any challenge your opponent throws at you, no matter how much strategy they put into it. This would make fielding such a spammy and boring army almost impossible, and you would have to resort to things like hussars and legionairres.

3.It would create an "innefeciancy" like effect for the player that owns many tcs, giving other players a chance. For instance, even if someone owns 5 tcs compared to their oponent's 3, they wouldn't be able to use those extra 2 to their full extent.

sorry for big, un-proofed wall of text. Also, I think that pop should be based off of the maps overall number of tcs.

TL;DR tis a good idea!
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
Hardeep

Post by Hardeep »

Why not just call the game 'Age of Empires Strategy' and be done with it? :roll:
There never was much hope... just a fool's hope
The Pendulum

Post by The Pendulum »

Hardeep wrote:Why not just call the game 'Age of Empires Strategy' and be done with it? :roll:
If you don't like a suggestion, cool. But don't shit on mine. Also, stating why you don't like something provides everyone an opportunity to compromise. Crazy how that works.
I merely suggested a population cap that could be toggled in the lobby menu to provide an extra layer of depth.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

The idea is good.
Hardeep: please speak nicely, we talked about this earlier already - thanks!
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

I think a straight across cap would be better. Most people I know tend to spam man-at-arms and crossbowmen, not hoplites or elephants,
Thanks!
Josh
Hardeep

Post by Hardeep »

Woah, who said i didn't like the suggestion? Popcap would be great :D
The Pendulum

Post by The Pendulum »

The eye roll, plus the sarcasm gave the impression you were just being rude and didn't like it.

I agree though, with my own suggestion, lol, that a pop cap option would be awesome and help players be able to make a come back late game.
Hardeep

Post by Hardeep »

^ :roll: ^(is it my fault that he looks like a complete arse? Plus if you look closely, he smirks near the end, signifying that he may be amused.)
Its just that im starting to see a little bit of resemblance of AoE in this game.... starting to think we draw inspiration from it. Just a feeling though, I'm probably the only one who has compared the two games. :|
Perhaps it's true though.......
DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Post by DoomCarrot »

Well, given the fact that AoE 2 is often listed as one of the best games of ALL TIME (not even just strategy), I think every strategy game uses some of the same ideas that AoE did. Doesn't make it a copy, it just proves that AoE was indeed a great game that had a lot of great gameplay elements. :)
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
Hardeep

Post by Hardeep »

Random quote i found to make my point:
"Most misunderstandings in the world could be avoided if people would simply take the time to ask, "What else could this mean?”
― Shannon L. Alder
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

What this is nothing like AoE!!! ;)
Thanks!
Josh

Return to “New game types in the game (like capture the flag)”