Hints during loading screen

You can see here listed all Developer problems in which he asks for help regarding AOS from forum users.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Hints during loading screen

Post by Stratego (dev) »

I think there are many things players do not know as the features are hidden or soething.
so i planned to shop hints while the loading sscreen runs (will "shorten" the waiting time too - at least the feel).

here are the current ideas (i had many earlier but forgot to list them to myself)
feel free to extend the list some good advices, hidden options that might interest everyone (newbies and maybe pros too)

Code: Select all

<string name="HINT_DRAG_CARRIED">Drag unit to change order of units in a building</string>
    <string name="HINT_LONGTAP_PRODUCTION">Longtap on production to set prev. choice</string>
    <string name="HINT_LONGTAP_WAYPOINT">Longtap on waypoint button in a factory to set to prev choice</string>
    <string name="HINT_YOUR_TURN_NOTFOUND">Your turn, but no game found? Join to \"Games i am already in\"</string>
    <string name="HINT_ACCOUNT_EMAIL">Add email to \"Account\" for cases you forget passwords</string>
    <string name="HINT_ARTISTS_ATTENTION">Your Art as a loading screen? Email the Dev</string>
    <string name="HINT_GEMS_MAP">Not enough gems? Design maps and send to Dev!</string>
    <string name="HINT_GEMS_FRIEND">Lack of gems? Invite friends to get some!</string>

LordOfAles

Re: Hints during loading screen

Post by LordOfAles »

<string name="HINT_ANIMATION_SPEED">Are you a fast clicker? You can disable animations in the options menu for faster gameplay.</string>
<string name="HINT_PROBABLY_BANKRUPT">Not enough gems? You can make maps using Map Editor and send them to Dev. He can reward you for those!</string>
<string name="HINT_BE_NICE">Act civilized while talking with other players. Keep this game fun for everyone.</string>
I am, indeed, a big Witch King and Middle Earth fan if you didn't notice.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

:) thanks!
i must shorten them a little but some are good! also brought to me the Invite friends option to mention!
Inbreak

Post by Inbreak »

Noticed that newbies don't pay much attention to this. Maybe it will be good to mention something like:

<string name="HINT_END_TURN">Remember you can end the turn for your unit clicking the shield button on top of the screen if you don't want to automatically attack adjacent enemy or building.</string>
Can't forge shorter version.
Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grub.
Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

@Stratego (dev)

<string name="HINT_MENTAL_RESISTANCE">The more mental resistance your unit has the harder it is to convert!</string>
    <string name="HINT_PLAY_CAMPAIGNS">To get a few more gems, try to play a few Campaigns!"</string>
    <string name="HINT_SAVE_YOUR_ACCOUNT">Before Switching devices you should save your account first! If you don't it may be lost"</string>
    <string name="HINT_PIERCE_ARMOR">Pierce armor reduces the amount of damage you get from ranged attacks!</string>
    <string name="HINT_PRACTICE_MAKES_PERFECT">It's okay to lose! you can always come back stronger!</string>
    <string name="HINT_JOIN_THE_FORUM">Join the forums! Maybe your idea will be in the next update!</string>
    <string name="HINT_ARMOR">Armor reduces the damage taken from melee attacks! The more Hp your unit has the more effective it becomes!</string>
    <string name="HINT_DEADLY_POISON">Poison attacks are deadly, it reduces your unit's Hp every turn! To remove this effect, use a Healer to heal the poisoned unit</string>
    <string name="HINT_NEWBIE_TIP">If you are new try playing some easy or moderate Campaign maps for a start, it rewards gems if you win it!</string>
    <string name="HINT_NEWBIE_TIP2"> The use of Wagons is an effective way of dealing with Large maps. Use them in it to gain Quick access to newly produced units</string>
    <string name="HINT_NEWBIE_TIP3">Don't Play bet games if you are new to multiplayer! Players you encounter might be experienced and fully upgraded!"</string>
Edit- Added 2 new hints.
Last edited by Badnorth on Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
For newcomers, click here for discord links. Hopefully they aren't expired.
Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

Also, Dev can we have these hints in the Game loading screen?

When waiting for the Game to load it can be long in time. So hints might be a nice addition while waiting.
For newcomers, click here for discord links. Hopefully they aren't expired.
Shark guy 35

Post by Shark guy 35 »

Can I make some for Age of World Wars?
"A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week".
-General George S. Patton
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

sure, thanks!

but please just a few examples, as currently it is a general texting as i remember, and we will see by the samples if costomized ones needed or not.

from the new: the general ones:

<string name="HINT_SAVE_YOUR_ACCOUNT">Before Switching devices you should save your account first! If you don't it may be lost"</string>
    <string name="HINT_PRACTICE_MAKES_PERFECT">It's okay to lose! you can always come back stronger!</string>
    <string name="HINT_NEWBIE_TIP">If you are new try playing some easy or moderate Campaign maps for a start, it rewards gems if you win it!</string>
    <string name="HINT_NEWBIE_TIP3">Don't Play bet games if you are new to multiplayer! Players you encounter might be experienced and fully upgraded!"</string>

from these the ones i put in now:

<string name="HINT_JOIN_THE_FORUM">Join the forums! Maybe your idea will be in the next update!</string>
    <string name="HINT_PLAY_CAMPAIGNS">To get a few more gems, try to play a few Campaigns!"</string>

AOS(and maybe AOF) specific ones:

<string name="HINT_MENTAL_RESISTANCE">The more mental resistance your unit has the harder it is to convert!</string>
    <string name="HINT_PIERCE_ARMOR">Pierce armor reduces the amount of damage you get from ranged attacks!</string>
    <string name="HINT_ARMOR">Armor reduces the damage taken from melee attacks! The more Hp your unit has the more effective it becomes!</string>
    <string name="HINT_DEADLY_POISON">Poison attacks are deadly, it reduces your unit's Hp every turn! To remove this effect, use a Healer to heal the poisoned unit</string>
    <string name="HINT_NEWBIE_TIP2"> The use of Wagons is an effective way of dealing with Large maps. Use them in it to gain Quick access to newly produced units</string>

Return to “Dev asks for Help”