Improving pathfinding (waypoint)

You can see here listed all Developer problems in which he asks for help regarding AOS from forum users.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Improving pathfinding (waypoint)

Post by Stratego (dev) »

I have learned there are faults with the current pathfinding (waypoint paths) of units.

so please tell me all problems so i can fix them.
i always use waypoints i see it is useful, naturally only on "background" units, transports, support coming from far - as the ones in frontline i want to control myself.

What i heard of
- "lined up units": what is problem here and the suggested way of working? (sunrise samurai wrote this)
- vector instead of rectangular movements: this is one i found: if u tell a unit to go 20 tiles on 45 degree direction (top, right direction), than it will go vertical 20 and then horizontal 20, instead of going in 45degree vector direction all time 1up-1right-1uőp-1right-1up-1right. so on the direction vector (if possible considering terrain)
- moving backwards: i saw some cases when the path is temporarily blocked (eg. by a unit of yours) the pathfinding tries to go around, instead of thinking the block will be removed - or something like this - i have not tested and not sure how this work - if anyone could reproduce would be awesome!
LordOfAles

Re: Improving pathfinding (waypoint)

Post by LordOfAles »

Lined up units

You got this swordsman formation:

xxxxx
xxxxx y
xxxxx

You tell them to go to y they will look like this and move very very slow:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx y
I am, indeed, a big Witch King and Middle Earth fan if you didn't notice.

Return to “Dev asks for Help”