Improving controls - multiselect

You can see here listed all Developer problems in which he asks for help regarding AOS from forum users.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Improving controls - multiselect

Post by Stratego (dev) »

ok, ther were not so many ideas, and i have looked around games how they do, i did not have much time but i have found some interesting (eg. gestures in autum dynasty)

so here is my plan please
- comment
- and tell me if u have better idea
- or u saw better in any game
- please tell me that game and how that did so i can check.

Click on unit : selects it (implemented) it also activates gesture select

Double click on unit: selects all similar units (implemented)

If any unit is selected than
- Gesture select: u can draw a cirle or any shape: the inner units in that shape gets selected when u finish drawing
- click on map location or on not owned unit: will remove all selections (implemented)
- longclick on maplocation: will place waypoint, and still selected so you can change location again*
- longclick and draw a line back to the selected units: will place waypoint AND a PATH to follow, and still remain selected so you can change location again* (or should it be drawing from the selcted units to target?)
- longclick on a carrier: will command selected units to try to go into carrier*
- longclick on an enemy unit/building: will command units to go to location to attack that target*, if target moves than command moves too, if target destroyed they stop moving.

if multiple units selected than
- click on a selected unit: will remove it from selection (implemented)
- click on a not selected unit: will add it to selection (implemented)

On * marked cases:
option a) manual immediate execution: will have a floating button for few seconds to execute it immediately (moving into carrier or forward to waypoint), if u not press it it will be execute on your end turn, like now it executes wapoint moves on end of the turns
option b) auto immediate execution: you have 1-2 seconds to alter the target, or press the floating cancel button, on timeout: units will start to move/attack/embark immediately
(which is better, option a / b?)

Keeping multiselection: if u designated a command to a buch of units, the game could remember that they were in a multiselection, so on next turn clicking any of the unit will multiselect all and shows the active command - but maybe this would be annoying... maybe on longpress on unit?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
original topic starter idea:

I would like to improve current controls and this topic about multiselect
i think the current doubleclick, and bracketing is very usable - tell me if i am wrong

but i think more multiselect options would be needed:
1. multiselecting buildings
2. multiselecting TC-s
3. multiselecting more units with "double" click (notw it select only at 6 tile range as i remember, or the visible ones from the same type of units - i think of a triple click option that will select all units around not only the same type.

so please if you play many other games that has better multiselecting options, please suggest any change OR you can even suggest a totally new approach for multiselecting.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Improving controls - waypoints

Post by Stratego (dev) »

I would like to improve current controls and this topic about waypoints

I think it is good to set waypoints on selected units and in factory buildings but
1. idea1: we need option to select factory (even in multiselect) buildings and give them waypoints as "productions points".
2. idea2: i reguraliry miss this option: set waypoint to a specified location for ALL factory buildings that currently builds war-units (without the need to select all factory buildings, or set them waypoints)

so i need ideas how to easily set waypoints easily to existing units, and future units coming out from productions - use your experiences in gaming if you can bring good idea from somewhere else.

thanks!
Puss_in_Boots

Re: Improving controls - multiselect

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

Well, I've got an idea in mind for "select all units."

I'm not too worried that a new tab would obscure any view, but I think there should be a select all option in the options menu.

This way the player won't have a tab it probably won't use hanging around next the end turn tab.

This option is too me, much more convenient than a triple click, which I do find annoying to perform in some games..
OLÉ
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

thereis already an experimental button under thestar button to select war unit production tcs, please tell me if usable for u.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Re: Improving controls - waypoints

Post by Stratego (dev) »

the experimental button refers to here.
also n ideas here?
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

Yes it works just fine, the problem arises when you need to split groups of production in large maps, "Great Lake 75/75," is a great example. Is there any to just select groups instead of all?
OLÉ
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

i can do anything i just dont know how that would be easy to select them.
so please suggest how it should work.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

no one has no idea how to solve these? - these would be very good and neede for the game :(

Idea3: maybe some kind of handy option to make things to previous wapoints (eg. i am in a 40x40 megamap - too big again - where i have 17 000 points and mabe 80TCs, and i just conquer them and every time i set the same waypoint to all new tc-s building units that will march tru the map in 10-20 turns that i dont want control myself... - i thought a checkbox/button right beside production that will give the waypoint that you have previously set (maybe to the other end of the map)

idea4: and an other like i dont like scrolling tru the whole map so when waypoint pressed a minimap could appear where i can click to fast-scroll there so i dont need many scrolls - or even clicking on map can set the waypoint - would be not that accurate but on big maps would be ok. - or both idea somehow...)
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

I really like idea 3 with the waypoint manager. Idea 4 also has merit for huge maps.

idea 5? What if we could drag an approximate path of where they should choose to walk - or like the civ games, show briefly the path that the ai chooses before confirming or editing the path
Thanks!
Josh
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

idea5: would be cool, but also very costy to implement - but we can have it as open suggestion when i have time.

also the green ones are in.
LordOfAles

Post by LordOfAles »

idea 6: Units stop hitting the obstacles and finally go around them
Last edited by LordOfAles on Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am, indeed, a big Witch King and Middle Earth fan if you didn't notice.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

It goes around them. Can u make a few screenshots to show me what u mean?

Also this thread is not about how waypoint works, but controls you have to put down waypoint. Open new topic please for any waypoint bugs
LordOfAles

Post by LordOfAles »

Opps, i just tested it it works... i didnt before...

Anyway idea 6: A button like the one for factories that selects ALL units on the map, neverthless if they are in some building or not, this is useful because on big maps: you know already :)
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

ok, ther were not so many ideas, and i have looked around games how they do, i did not have much time but i have found some interesting (eg. gestures in autum dynasty)

so here is my plan please
- comment
- and tell me if u have better idea
- or u saw better in any game
- please tell me that game and how that did so i can check.

Click on unit : selects it (implemented) it also activates gesture select

Double click on unit: selects all similar units (implemented)

If any unit is selected than
- Gesture select: u can draw a cirle or any shape: the inner units in that shape gets selected when u finish drawing
- click on map location or on not owned unit: will remove all selections (implemented)
- longclick on maplocation: will place waypoint, and still selected so you can change location again*
- longclick on a carrier: will command selected units to try to go into carrier*
- longclick on an enemy unit/building: will command units to go to location to attack that target*, if target moves than command moves too, if target destroyed they stop moving.

if multiple units selected than
- click on a selected unit: will remove it from selection (implemented)
- click on a not selected unit: will add it to selection (implemented)

On * marked cases:
option a) manual immediate execution: will have a floating button for few seconds to execute it immediately (moving into carrier or forward to waypoint), if u not press it it will be execute on your end turn, like now it executes wapoint moves on end of the turns
option b) auto immediate execution: you have 1-2 seconds to alter the target, or press the floating cancel button, on timeout: units will start to move/attack/embark immediately
(which is better, option a / b?)
Sunrise Samurai

Post by Sunrise Samurai »

Honestly I don't like any of these. The only time im ever using waypoints is when I've already won the game. Before that they tend to be useless, or cause problems.
The glorious sun rises again
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

if u mean the pathing needs improvement, than that is a different topic, in this topic imagne a flawless pathing
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

I think he means that he (as well as i) prefers manual movement of units.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
LordOfAles

Post by LordOfAles »

Yeah because when we move them with box and they automove they make a GIANT line and are slow as hell.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

As i mentioned: imagine pathing a flawless thing that you would use...
General Brave

Post by General Brave »

Improving it will help.
Wise, Might, Loyalty. Forever stands Warfell.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

i have posted the current ideas on first post
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

COOLguy wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:21 pm I really like idea 3 with the waypoint manager. Idea 4 also has merit for huge maps.

idea 5? What if we could drag an approximate path of where they should choose to walk - or like the civ games, show briefly the path that the ai chooses before confirming or editing the path
idea5: good news! we could put it into the guesture thinbg, i have it on list, also i will merge this topic into that.
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

I like the manual. Because I would probably accidentally tell them to move. And i can tap faster than 1 or 2 sec
Thanks!
Josh
Gral.Sturnn

Post by Gral.Sturnn »

Making unit groups sounds good like

1.select units

2.chose 1 2 or 3 groups

3.whenever you keed those units select the group and thats it
~Gral.Sturnn
Sunrise Samurai

Post by Sunrise Samurai »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:06 pm if u mean the pathing needs improvement, than that is a different topic, in this topic imagne a flawless pathing
Flawless pathing still doesn't calculate enemy range and movement, or stick to any kind of formation. It certainly doesn't factor in potential movement in future turns. It's only used for getting units from one side of the map to another in large groups if you're too lazy to use wagons to move things faster.
The glorious sun rises again

Return to “Dev asks for Help”