What do you think about conversion spell? IMPLEMENTED

Alexander82

What do you think about conversion spell? IMPLEMENTED

Post by Alexander82 »

Conversion spell is a legacy of AoS where priest could convert units to your cause and it was a feature taken from Age of empires.

In AoS balance issues are not a great problem. If a unit is stronger than another, every player can still use it and adopt the more convenient tactic.

If a player convert your units you can just convert them back with your own priests.

In AoF there are races: some of them can do something that others can't do or just do something better or worse than other. Since currently we are adding many new units and features with the final goal of balancing the races we are also experiencing problems with minmaxing spell resistance and thus spell success rate.

Many costly and strong units (e.g giants, imperial knight, dragon knight and so on) have a high spell resistance with the only purpose to protect them from conversion.

Strong units are meant to be strong but for the same reason should be able to debuff as well to alow less strong units to handle them.

One solution we found was to separate conversion resistance (called loyalty) from spell resistance, thus currently the only conversion effect in game is actually a spell (other were planned like the one of orc slaver that was meant to be physical).

Starting from the point that conversion will be given to all races, if we will leave it in game, I am starting to think that many problems might be solved just by removing this effect that, after all, is not particularly needed nor used (since most of units that make sense to convert are protected by a high spell resistanc, if not immune).

I'd like to know your opinion on this subject.
Age of Fantasy design leader
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Re: What do you think about conversion spell?

Post by Stratego (dev) »

good idea removing conversion if u feel op.

later we can bring it back with some costs maybe -
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

I am only for this change.
I like conversion spell as it fits well for undeads.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

ok than what about having same resistane as spell resistance, but making it a bit harder to cast like a cooldown 4 or something?
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

I think best solution is to somehow separate conversion resistance from the spell resistance

That way strong units can have high convert resist but at the same time b weak to debuff and other related spells
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

yes, that is i want to avoid - making new and new properties for units (i want to keep simplicity)
any other solution without adding new properties would be cool
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

@Stratego (dev) another solution might be make immune to conversion (with the trnSpecAction you already made) every unit with a cost of 5 or more

As a lesser effect to control weak units can be ok so we might open it as a spell/effect for other races too
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

just came to me: is it that big deal as it is now? i never send costy units to a lich.
why dont we leave him as it is now?
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

It is simply a feature that allows a single race to virtually obtain any unit in game. I feel that chance should be given to all races or none
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Re: What do you think about conversion spell? IMPLEMENTED

Post by Stratego (dev) »

it was implemented long ago (conversion got removed) so i set it to implemented.

however worth checking the new AOS conversion plans where conversion is made of ability (little spell button)
also if it fails it can give and effect to the target that can redcce its "spell resistance", so in a few attemps the convert will be sure (if resistance gone to 0)

check it out
Savra

Post by Savra »

I think if we're going to bring the conversion spell back to races it should be left to undead, being that they would have more ways of doing it and their spell casters are dealing in the dark arts. Everyone else already has pretty good strengths in their own categories like humans in cavalry, elves in archers, orcs in everything involving power, dwarves will eventually get better siege but already have good strong fortifications plus builders. Undead should specialize in spells being that their magic is their strong suite, plus it makes sense for them being that their techs and most their units focus on their abilities and spells.

That being said, that would be my reason for bringing it back if we're going to do that.
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

I'm against bringing back conversion in game. If I ever would decide it to be in game it couldn't be in any different way that available to all races in a for or another (especially now that undeads are getting a lot of new implementations and will get a lot more in the near future).

I will check AoS version later just out of curiosity but I prefer no conversion in a game with races.

Return to “Archived - Votes and Polls”