Can large maps be added?

Anchar

Can large maps be added?

Post by Anchar »

I like to play big cards, but the maximum size in the fantasy era is 50 by 50. In the strategy era, there is a 100 by 100 map, and in Ww2 75 by 75, can i add maps of the same size for casual and multiplayer?
Savra

Re: Can large maps be added?

Post by Savra »

Being that most units can now shoot at 9-12 rng I don't think this would be too much of a problem. It would also help players who end up getting stuck in the middle of the map by giving them a chance to build up some kind of defense before getting mobbed by the players around them. Especially if said mid player is playing dwarves who have costly structures, units, and techs.
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

I agree about bigger maps as well
Age of Fantasy design leader
Anchar

Post by Anchar »

In order to protect the players in the center of the map, I propose to create narrow passages to the center and put strong neutral fighters on them who will not move, I used to do this in my editor.
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

I suggest you to try making some maps of that kind. It is the best way to see that change implemented 😁
Savra

Post by Savra »

Actually I tried that with Miller's island and just used gnolls (they're the only neutral group that has towers that will fire on enemy's) to give mid players a chance, except that it doesn't solve the issue in terms of ranged units. But it's a good start.

It would be nice if the gnolls other structures were available for map editor on random maps, also if they're other units like the colossus were working as neutral, but I'll have more to add to them later.
Dagravian

Post by Dagravian »

Well, i don't want to ruin the idea... But we don't have a 100x100 map on aos, the biggest one there is 75x75, and the biggest of aow is 51x51, the maximum size in all versions is now 50x50, maps that go beyond that were made a long time ago and they were developed in another format. The cap was made bcz on those maps, the player usually:

- Experience lag, bugs and crashes due its size. So some players got stuck and unable to play them.
- TC generating logic behaving buggy and unfairly.
- Matches on those maps always end being a long, boring game that never gets finished.
Stay Awesome!
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Savra

Post by Savra »

This may be true, but back then we didn't have archers and siege units with large range. Also, we have more faster units, and flyer units for each race that can navigate past all terrain.

It should be fine now.
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

I probably will agree that 50x50 must be kept as biggest map for multiplayer in aof with ddd.

Alas as campain maker i want even bigger maps for campains.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

it caused no bugs and only this was the reason
"Matches on those maps always end being a long, boring game that never gets finished"
and the "laggy" also as in case of AI handling many - up to even 1-2000 - units was a nightmare.
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

Savra wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:22 pm ... except that it doesn't solve the issue in terms of ranged units. But it's a good start.
nothing can solve that issue until we agree on making archers being affected by line of sight xD
Anchar

Post by Anchar »

I would like the cards 75 by 75 to be, and the players themselves decide whether they are bored or not, I would accept the expectation, and whoever does not want to let them not do them. There are also glitches on 40 by 40 cards. I confused about 100 by 100 cards.
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

Cards? you mean tiles?
Anchar

Post by Anchar »

The cards are 75 tiles long and 75 wide. I do not know English and write through a translator, sorry if something is not clear.
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

I am sure that he is talking about tiles.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

Pretty sure card = map
OLÉ
Anchar

Post by Anchar »

I want to thank you for adding 2 new 50x50 cards, now I can play anything other than millersland.

Return to “Archived - Other”