Ranger cost

DreJaDe

Ranger cost

Post by DreJaDe »

Currently, ranger cost 3. Should be 2.

Unlike Rifleman, it can't build, it has lower health, and it can't even be trained in TC. The only things going for it is it's grenade and somewhat higher damage to infantry.

Cost should be reduced to 2
Dahdee

Re: Ranger cost

Post by Dahdee »

@ DreJaDe@Stratego As stands, yes. Now, and I've said this in global chat before, The abilities of the Ranger are wrong. All Rangers are paratroopers, and more. ANYTHING a paratrooper can do, a Ranger does better. All US Rangers are qualified paratroopers, but not all paratroopers can qualify as a Ranger. I propose fixing this by keeping the Ranger's speed as is, and making the other stats of the paratrooper the stats of the Ranger (ie. 2 attacks, the bonus vs buildings and higher ability to take gun emplacement, for example) Rangers go to a special school that teaches extensively on things like survival, improvised traps and things of this sort. Basically, the Ranger is one of the most valuable assets of the ARMY, as are SEALS for the Navy. A lot of resources are expended training them, and their cost in game should reflect this. But, in their current state, not so much (although they are better now than when first introduced in game). Should give them a secondary ability on top of grenades to make booby traps or IED as well, as that is certainly part of their training. If all these changes are added, and the current paratrooper cost is 3 according to stat list, 4 would be a fair cost of a US Ranger. But, if none of this is done, should be reduced to 2, as DreJaDe suggests.
vogel

Post by vogel »

While I believe it is true that post-war rangers undergo parachute training (as my uncle did in the 80's), from my research and reading, during WWII rangers either did not have parachute training or were never employed in such a manner during WWII (although there were a number of crossovers between the rangers and paratroopers). On D-day rangers were landed on the beaches, and I believe the same was true on Anzio and in North Africa too. And other ranger units such as Merrill's Marauders were known for engaging in unconventional warfare and raiding. The ranger academy was also founded in 1950 long after the war was over, but they did have specialized training locations during the war.

As for the abilities I totally agree with you. It'd be nice to have some infantry to replicate the famous destroying of the artillery on D-Day or at least be able to have more fighting ability/flexibility like an smg unit.
Dahdee

Post by Dahdee »

I stand corrected about all Rangers being airborne in WW2. Ranger school as it currently exists was indeed founded in 1950. However, I do believe, as Vogel agreed, their current representation is lacking in power. Add the enhancement of attacks vs structures the same as paratroopers currently have, as these were the guys who broke through the Atlantic Wall, and give them better armor or health. Let them remain single attack with a better bonus, and keep the cost at 3. Add some sort of sabotage or trap ability. Even if I was incorrect about the paratrooper training at that time, these were stormtroopers, and should be better represented as such if they are to remain at such a high build cost. Even at that time in history they had more extensive combat training, and training in demolition, tracking, and survival as well, beyond that of the basic soldier. They did not simply run faster.
Dahdee

Post by Dahdee »

2nd Ranger battalion neutralized this crucial point in the Atlantic Wall which enabled American troops to establish landing points in the invasion of Normandy. Scaled the cliffs and took out concrete bunkers and MG emplacements. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pointe_du_Hoc
Dahdee

Post by Dahdee »

Although the artillery that intelligence said was at that location had been moved, they found them, and destroyed them with thermite (my point being, they were trained in sabotage as well, justifying bonus vs defensive structures and artillery)
SS-Jericho

Post by SS-Jericho »

Why cant rangers just have 2 action turns?

Although I use them in game to capture towns fast,I combine them with artillery. They are currently only useful for naval games/maps with close town combat.
Dahdee

Post by Dahdee »

SS-Jericho wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:26 am Why cant rangers just have 2 action turns?
:D This is the obvious fix right here.
DreJaDe

Post by DreJaDe »

Well, I can agree with that.

@Stratego (dev)

Return to “Issues”