Problems with a few maps

phoenixffyrnig

Problems with a few maps

Post by phoenixffyrnig »

1 - Several maps still have that obsolete wooden tile (including Ponds, Rusha, Arcade Land, FortKnight, and Forbidden Land (The Bridge). There are possibly more - is this an issue? Is the obsolete wooden tile to be hunted down to extinction or is it being phased out slowly?

2 - River Crossing Village - if 2 players start on the same side of the map, the one bridge crossing the centre of the map pretty much guarantees victory to the person who goes first here. This is the map used in the Abandoned Willage template game so it is used quite often, and leads to a lot of foregone conclusions.

Obviously there are other ways of crossing the river, (time consuming but possible) but since this small map is used so often by noobs I suggest making it a bit fairer to all, add a second bridge in the south and move existing bridge 2 or 3 tiles north.

3 - In the map Sacrifices, there are several areas that are not passable even though they look like they are free tiles. I have traced this problem to a Cliff tile in map editor that does not seem to allow passage on the tiles it should. I can't upload the picture here, (I could email it if you like Dev?), but it's the tile that looks like
CP
CP (C = cliff face, P =plateau)
I also play an RTS game called Life 8-)
And I also like drinking beer! :D
phoenixffyrnig

Re: Problems with a few maps

Post by phoenixffyrnig »

Point 3 I have looked at a bit closer.

It seems there are at least some cliff tiles that do not allow ground units on their passable terrain tiles, but do allow flying units to pass... something incorrect in the base settings?

@Endru1241, @Stratego (dev), not sure who's domain this falls under
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

1. I am not 100% sure, but I think we only processed tmx maps to proper .map format (pure json).
When I checked and processed existing random map files with my program I got 9441 obsolete tiles among 69 maps (from 149, so only barely over 50% are totally free of old things).
I'll ask stratego if we are gonna put processed ones in game.
2. I am not sure it would make it any better, as map is 100% random as far as I can see - there are no set up starting positions.
In such settings any side can have their 1st TC even few tiles closer or farther.
If it's used all that often - maybe it needs set starting positions to be fair.
But, I don't really deal with map changes all that much. Maps are commonly getting send to stratego, as e.g. campaigns need new button creation, which is not an option from assets itself.
Although if someone changed it and send me - I could replace.
3. Strictly speaking - cliff tiles don't ever allow any movement (for normal units). Those tiles that allow - are ground.
And because blocks (like cliffs) are displayed under whatever is defining tile (red framed one) some are under ground category.
But I know what was meant - I searched through those tiles to find it and it's that (it had both right tiles disallowing movement - actually it's the same tile):
Attachments
block6048.png
block6048.png (7.64 KiB) Viewed 1166 times
Age of Strategy design leader
phoenixffyrnig

Post by phoenixffyrnig »

3 - Yeah, that's the culprit @Endru1241
Should the two ground tiles on the right be passable then? And is it fixable?

There does seem to be at least one more cliff piece with the same impassable ground tile, the one that looks like
C
PC

Re "Ground" cliffs - ah, that explains why sometimes a ground unit can cross what looks like a sheer cliff edge with no problem - there are a few "secret passageways" like that in Land of Gnofolks for example. Again, is it possible to readjust so that cliff sides cannot be passed through by ground units?

This one is not as troublesome to me because it appears we can block these routes off during the map editing process, but the impassable ground squares being made passable would make me very happy in my new capacity as an officially published map-maker 8-) :lol:
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

phoenixffyrnig wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:30 pm 3 - Yeah, that's the culprit @Endru1241
Should the two ground tiles on the right be passable then? And is it fixable?
Already changed it for posted before block.
The question is when am I gonna have some pack to send to stratego.
Also - I created 10 new tiles and using another existing 4 made 3 new blocks:
Reversed big stone stairs (from bottom left to upper right), left and right square cliff upper corners:
cc
cg
And
cc
gc

As I saw those really lacking in some maps (mainly AoF ones, but it's gonna be copied there too probably).
There does seem to be at least one more cliff piece with the same impassable ground tile, the one that looks like
C
PC
I'll look at this one tommorow.

Re "Ground" cliffs - ah, that explains why sometimes a ground unit can cross what looks like a sheer cliff edge with no problem - there are a few "secret passageways" like that in Land of Gnofolks for example. Again, is it possible to readjust so that cliff sides cannot be passed through by ground units?
Shouldn't be.
What I meant was that e.g. caves are displayed under ground category, because their two bottom tiles are passable.
If you can hunt down parts of which blocks are passable, but looks like they shouldn't - please post it, so I'll try to fix it.
phoenixffyrnig

Post by phoenixffyrnig »

Endru1241 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:59 pm If you can hunt down parts of which blocks are passable, but looks like they shouldn't - please post it, so I'll try to fix it.
OK Endru, I spoke to a wizard I know (cheers @andysensei ) who taught me some secret magic you folks call technology...here goes...

https://ibb.co/9GNtXPS

The red arrows show the individual tiles that can be passed by ground units (all 6 are from the "ground" menu in ME).

The white X is on the previously mentioned "cliff" cliff that does not allow ground unit passage.

Curiously enough, next to that is the equivalent tile from "cliff snow" which does allow ground passage! I will run a test on the cliff snow terrain too if it saves you time?
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

I checked all already.
The top two are really a bugs (including this one impassable)

Bottom ones are ok if blocks would be used according to design:
phoenixffyrnig

Post by phoenixffyrnig »

Yeah cool, I see what you mean by using correctly, it's clear from your illustration that the bottom four from my picture have a specific purpose - I was just testing everything individually in isolation.

I will wait until I see your new cliffs in ME before doing a cliff map. In fact, your illustration has also given me an idea for a design (part of my self-given remit in map making is to try to give a fighting chance to the the poor boggers in the middle of a 6 player game).

Return to “Maps”