Vehicle armor techs IMPLEMENTED

Midonik

Vehicle armor techs IMPLEMENTED

Post by Midonik »

Two techs, researched in the reptilian vehicle factory:
- imporoved armor plating, + 3 physical armor to reptilian vehicles
- improved vehicle shields, + 3 energy armor to reptilian vehicles
Both cost 6, I think they should be researched in whatever order the player wants.

Image by Noaharts:
Attachments
tech_rep_energy_shields.png
tech_rep_energy_shields.png (647 Bytes) Viewed 809 times
Support new AoS variant, Age of Galaxy: http://ageofstrategy.net/viewforum.php? ... 608408ebc8
All help will be welcome.
kingofgalaxies

Re: Vehicle armor techs

Post by kingofgalaxies »

Midonik wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:05 am Two techs, researched in the reptilian vehicle factory:
- imporoved armor plating, + 3 physical armor to reptilian vehicles
- improved vehicle shields, + 3 energy armor to reptilian vehicles
Both cost 6, I think they should be researched in whatever order the player wants.
Imo both should cost min. 7 if not 8 turns, compared to other armor improving techs. E.g. the triple energy armor tech for flesh&blood costs 4 + 5 + 6 turns and gives 1 + 2 + 2 armor. So u get +2 armor for min. 5 turns, and only after researching the first one. So getting +3 of any armor should cost more than 6.
On a separate note, I advise you to be weary of the fact reptiles, out of all the races, already have the most number of techs to research. So already now they get strongest in the late game on huge maps, where they have all the time to research everything. By adding even more new techs for them you increase that gap. Also, reptiles already have very tanky vehicles.
Midonik

Post by Midonik »

Their vehicles may be tanky early game (but it's not like they can't be easily dealt with), but late game they get outscaled since there is no way for them to increase the armor while enemy at units get better (thus this techs).

reptiles, out of all the races, already have the most number of techs to research - if that becomes a problem we will give other races more techs. For now, imo, reptilians aren't even the strongest in late game, since human artillery scale so well with the more units are on the battlefield.

Again, rather than making the cost 7 or 8 (those are number that people will not wanna put into reaserching a single tech) I'd rather make it 2 armor or maybe add tiers.
Support new AoS variant, Age of Galaxy: http://ageofstrategy.net/viewforum.php? ... 608408ebc8
kingofgalaxies

Post by kingofgalaxies »

Midonik wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:30 am Their vehicles may be tanky early game (but it's not like they can't be easily dealt with), but late game they get outscaled since there is no way for them to increase the armor while enemy at units get better (thus this techs).
I find it interesting that you want to aid reptilian tanks even more, meanwhile human tanks are really useless in most cases. What are they supposed to be good at, fighting vehicles? Their dmg and bonuses are pathetic compared to other races'. Also they die away like nothing. Fast cannon fodder at best.
But I guess that needs a separate topic started.
Midonik

Post by Midonik »

Well humans have many other stenghts, melee vehicles should be more of a reptilian forte.
kingofgalaxies

Post by kingofgalaxies »

At least there should be some human melee vehicle with bonus to vehicles, eh?
Midonik

Post by Midonik »

Wdym? There are many? Railgun tank, heavy tank, super heavy tank, AMP coligunner (well it has 2 range but it definetely has melee level toughness). You can also use the guided missile launcher, it needs protection but it does well against vehicles from a far.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

kingofgalaxies: Midonik tried to make differences among races, while you suggest to make them the same (eg. both should have same/similar sterength units and capabilities like conversion).
I think Midonik's concept is better as eg. i did not even liked that much the first "Wacraft" game where human and orc units had different images but had exactly SAME properies (eg. a swordman was same power+armor as orc melee unit).
Puppeteer12

Post by Puppeteer12 »

I agree with midonik and Stratego, what's the point of having different races or factions if they are the exact same but with slight differences.
A master of puppetry and manipulation, working from the shadows.
kingofgalaxies

Post by kingofgalaxies »

Y'all getting me wrong here.
I do fully embrace the races being very unique and having their specialties. And yes, I think it's good that units of similar category have different strength in each race.
However - the game will need time for this to crystallise out - the only danger is that a race develops one single boring meta strategy which uses just the strongest units and all the other ones become useless. E.g. humans (speaking from experience here): railgunners, hovering/poison artillery, hovercrafts, drones, AA. So in order to prevent this, other units need to get their own credibility, by adjusting them so they offer unique value. This I call BALANCING. It's an ongoing process that takes time.
Usually balance changes are required if either a unit gets out of control, causing frustrative experiences for opponents in-game or giving unfair advantage; or in the case above, when the strategical "concoction" within one race narrows down to just a few useful units. Disbalances between different races, on the other hand, can be treated much more freely.

Anyway, that's just my view of things here.
Anchar

Re: Vehicle armor techs WAITING IMAGE

Post by Anchar »

Attachments
modifikaciibron.png
modifikaciibron.png (2.41 KiB) Viewed 683 times
Midonik

Post by Midonik »

Nice image, although overcomplicated.
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

I really like this image though, even if the stat increase is not that exaggerated people will still want to research this tech just cause the image gives this false sense of opness XD
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools

Return to “Archive”