Aircraft shield generators

Midonik

Aircraft shield generators

Post by Midonik »

Reptilian aircraft receive bonus shield generators that increase their survivability.

Cost: 6 (in the airport)
+3 energy armor, +2 physical armor to reptilian air units

I've notice that, since both the grey vector and the stratofighter one shot one another, humans gain a huge advantage in air thanks to the higher speed of their stratofighters. And the intention was for reptilian fighter planes to be stronger than human. As such, I think this tech, that would allow the grey vectors to survive two hits from a stratofighter (if I also increase the hp of the grey vector by 9, and I plan on doing so), would help fixing this situation.
Support new AoS variant, Age of Galaxy: http://ageofstrategy.net/viewforum.php? ... 608408ebc8
All help will be welcome.
kingofgalaxies

Re: Aircraft shield generators

Post by kingofgalaxies »

Midonik wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:50 pm Reptilian aircraft receive bonus shield generators that increase their survivability.

Cost: 6 (in the airport)
+3 energy armor, +2 physical armor to reptilian air units
Here as well, imo this tech should cost much more turns, given its value compared to other armor increasing techs. Thinking of how many more AA artillery shots needed to kill the planes... My idea would be 9 turns, and that's still good-willing.
I've notice that, since both the grey vector and the stratofighter one shot one another, humans gain a huge advantage in air thanks to the higher speed of their stratofighters. And the intention was for reptilian fighter planes to be stronger than human. As such, I think this tech, that would allow the grey vectors to survive two hits from a stratofighter (if I also increase the hp of the grey vector by 9, and I plan on doing so), would help fixing this situation.
Don't know when exactly you implemented the nerf to stratofighter, but ever since I don't think he superceeds the grey vector anymore. Reason being that, although stratofighter has a max speed of 10 and vector only 9, the vector sees over 8 tiles while stratofighter only has a sight of 6 tiles. This means that when moving through unexplored territory (or even explored but currently not within sight), he can only move with speed of 6! (vector with 8)
So, humans have speed advantage in explored areas while reptilians are faster in unexplored ones. No need at all to buff vector imo. This would get very unfair if one 8-cost-unit would onehit the other one but not vice versa for no reason, as both are same category of fighter planes.
Midonik

Post by Midonik »

We can't consider sight a good balancing measure, becuase there are explored maps too.

Please consider that the stratofighter is a fighter-bomber that has ground support capabilities that exceed the grey vector's, so it makes sense for it to be weaker actually (currently it's only weaker against AA).

9 turns is too much for any tech, I cannot do that. Instead, we could consider decreasing the buffs (still should not get one shoted by stratofighters imo) or making the tech into 2 tiers.
Support new AoS variant, Age of Galaxy: http://ageofstrategy.net/viewforum.php? ... 608408ebc8
kingofgalaxies

Post by kingofgalaxies »

Midonik wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:21 am We can't consider sight a good balancing measure, becuase there are explored maps too.
Sometimes the one is better, sometimes the other. And 9/10 speed matters really only on large maps.
Please consider that the stratofighter is a fighter-bomber that has ground support capabilities that exceed the grey vector's, so it makes sense for it to be weaker actually (currently it's only weaker against AA).
Sure. The grey vector instead has more hp, and thinker armors. Where's the problem? If all, I would suggest nerfing stratofighter's bombing capabilities a bit (though it mostly dies after 1 bombing session due to its low hp). Aren't human planes supposed to be superior, isn't this even in the storyline description?
9 turns is too much for any tech, I cannot do that. Instead, we could consider decreasing the buffs (still should not get one shoted by stratofighters imo) or making the tech into 2 tiers.
I'm pro leaving onehits in both directions as is, instead adjusting other stats. Good idea though to split the tech into 2 (one physical, one energy armor?)
Midonik

Post by Midonik »

The problem is that the stratofighters fulfil two roles, while reptilians need to have some other air units to recieve real air support. 10 max attack of the grey vector isnt really enough.

Human aa and bomber/ground support planes are stronger than reptilian ones, so Id like reptilians to have a slight edge in air combat. Sooo they can do some research to best the otherwise faster and more combat effective stratofighters.

Spliting into physical and energy seem like a good idea.
kingofgalaxies

Post by kingofgalaxies »

Just a slight deviation from topic, but: WHO uses bombers at all? The only viable one imo is moth, only due to his invisibility. Bombers seem really weak at what they should do: bombing. I'd consider buffing their damage (all races) just a bit to make them worth their cost.
Anchar

Post by Anchar »

Well, until the recent nerf of stratofighters (a bomb without reloading high lives and 8 visibility) there was a certain AGENTF who used them very well, getting incredible reconnaissance, superiority in the air and bombing buildings in your rear, quietly flying back to the fortress repairing aircraft until you built up the whole perimeter with a bunch anti air towers. So the role of the Strathofighter is very high.
Anchar

Post by Anchar »

However, I don't know if Vector needs to be able to survive the Sratfighter's blow.
kingofgalaxies

Post by kingofgalaxies »

Anchar wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:24 pm However, I don't know if Vector needs to be able to survive the Sratfighter's blow.
This is what I'm saying, there should be plenty of other options to counter-balance stratofighter with grey vector. Just doesn't feel right putting them into such a disbalance in head2head fight (onehit vs non-onehit).
Anchar

Re: Aircraft shield generators WAITING IMAGE

Post by Anchar »

I agree. It seems to me that if the Vector survives the impact of a Stratofighter or a Dragonfly, then the lizards will have an unjustified superiority in the air, since on the next move the Vector is guaranteed to kill a Stratofighter or a Dragonfly, and support by smaller aircraft will not have time to help in speed. Maybe should come up with something else? For example, give +1 to the velocity of the Vector?
Midonik

Post by Midonik »

You can use AA to weaken the vector and still get the one shot. Human SAM is incredible after all. Also vector is slower than both of the other planes, so it's at a disadvantage right away. Stratofighter doubles as a bomber, dragonfly is cheaper. Vector is clearly the weakest of the planes, the only advantage it has is that it's harder to kill by aa alone. It needs some support. Also, this isn't a balance change, it's a technology, so the reptilian player will need to use his airport to research it (=will be able to field less planes).

Btw, unrelated, but I think I did an oopsy in calculations and the dragonfly fighter doesn't one shot the vector as is?
Anchar

Post by Anchar »

Honestly, the Stratofighter bomb doesn't look as useful as when it destroyed the building with 1 shot + its recharge. I also think that they need to balance the range of visibility in the fog, as they may accidentally stumble into a Vector in the dark. As a result, this technology, in my opinion, will kill the offensive potential of human by air, and this is against the background of the fact that lizards have flying saucers with mind control. 6 moves is not such an expensive price.

Return to “Reptilians”