Map feedback

Midonik

Map feedback

Post by Midonik »

Since this forum is not very used I will throw this topic in here.

If you have any feedback regarding any map, please write it here. Whether there is a weirdly behaving trigger, the map seems impossible (maybe for full stars), some mistake in writing, or just whether you liked the gameplay/story.

I've been making maps for a long time and I've made many for AOG too. I have some strong views on what makes a good map, but perhaps some of it is a matter of preference. I'd like to know what other people like in maps and campaigns, so I can maybe use it in the future. I'm sure other map makers will appreciate feedback as well.
Support new AoS variant, Age of Galaxy: http://ageofstrategy.net/viewforum.php? ... 608408ebc8
All help will be welcome.
kingofgalaxies

Re: Map feedback

Post by kingofgalaxies »

I can only talk about mp maps, as I don't play campaigns.

In my opinion, an ideal mp map should be programed in a way guaranteeing the spawning positions of TCs will always be distributed in a fair way for 4 players, every run. I'm not talking about preset TCs, that's a bit boring. There's usually a margin of flexibility to still stay fair.
Also I have no idea about how exactly to achieve this. Probably restricting TC spawning possibilities using different terrain (can only spawn on plains) is an option.
Anyway, just from experience playing these games for years now - it just sucks when one player gets a decisive advantage early on simply by starting closer to the towns in the middle, or by having a bigger island on water maps.
There are already a bunch of nice fair maps, though there is potential for creating more of those. Btw this concerns basically all Zerotouch games.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

In my opinion, an ideal mp map should be programed in a way guaranteeing the spawning positions of TCs will always be distributed in a fair way for 4 players, every run. I'm not talking about preset TCs, that's a bit boring. There's usually a margin of flexibility to still stay fair.
Also I have no idea about how exactly to achieve this. Probably restricting TC spawning possibilities using different terrain (can only spawn on plains) is an option.
Anyway, just from experience playing these games for years now - it just sucks when one player gets a decisive advantage early on simply by starting closer to the towns in the middle, or by having a bigger island on water maps.
There are already a bunch of nice fair maps, though there is potential for creating more of those. Btw this concerns basically all Zerotouch games.
i think this answer is off topic here.
A mapdesigner has no power to influence TC spawning logic.
Anchar

Post by Anchar »

I also mainly play multiplayer. For multiplayer, I would like a 75 by 75 AoS map. As for the campaigns, I liked the ones in which you have production, as well as an epic army, just like the enemy, without triggers and without the feeling that you are playing with numbers.
Midonik

Post by Midonik »

Your campaign preferences are the exact opposite of mine, maybe I should make some maps to appeal to people with that preference.

I don't believe I can make a 75×75 map? Isn't the limit 50?
Support new AoS variant, Age of Galaxy: http://ageofstrategy.net/viewforum.php? ... 608408ebc8
b2198

Post by b2198 »

What I do like in campaigns:

- having production, so that you can choose the way you would like to approach that map (no production is also fine in some cases)

- ability to use spells, because sometimes when units or mechanics are changed some maps become impossible (or at least impossible to get 3 stars), so in these cases using spells would make the map still possible while it's not fixed (and sometimes it's just fun to have a 200+ damage archer obliterating all the bots :D)

- puzzle-like maps, like in Puzzles campaign (though "Why are you hitting yourself" 2 and 3 were kinda boring, since they were almost the same solution as the first, except with more units for both sides)

What I don't like in campaigns:

- a bazillion arbitrary triggers that multiplies the enemy army by 10, like in Revolutionary King - The Kusti Champions (or however it's called in english) and Aquatic - The River Campaign (again, idk the campaign's name in english)

- maps that have the enemy start with a bazillion units/towns/buildings and you start with very few, making the map a very slow advance that just feels like you're fighting a bullet sponge, like almost the entirety of the Prison Planet, Savage Story and Maximus campaigns, and Nyadhos Strategy - Paths of the Dead
Green is the correct color, other colors are "less correct".
Midonik

Post by Midonik »

I'm not familiar with AoS campaigns unfortunately, I haven't played it for like 4 years at least.
b2198

Post by b2198 »

Oh, sorry, didn't see this was for AoG, my bad.
kingofgalaxies

Post by kingofgalaxies »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:40 pm i think this answer is off topic here.
A mapdesigner has no power to influence TC spawning logic.
Where can I put it then?

Also, I'm pretty sure TC spawning partially depends on the map layout. E.g. they can't spawn on forest, so if there's forest in a corner the respective player spawns closer to the centre.
So it's not entirely off topic.
b2198

Post by b2198 »

kingofgalaxies wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:15 am Where can I put it then?
Probably in here: viewtopic.php?f=219&t=548

Return to “Map & campaign designs ideas”