Usage of different skins for map creators ANSWERED

If you need a special unit for you map or campaign this is where you need to ask for it
makazuwr32

Usage of different skins for map creators ANSWERED

Post by makazuwr32 »

Right now i am lacking a bit of units for my maps. One way to solve this problem is to make new units, jsons and such.

Other way is to use skins you bought for same units.
Which is why here is a request, @Stratego (dev) :

Please make some tool or way to place on the map all variants of skins of unit.
In case of AoF for example i want to use both normal, default looking humans and humans from njorlund skin pack (they are allies but still i need different look for them while keeping same color) on several maps.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Re: Usage of different skins for map creators

Post by Stratego (dev) »

this is not the intended way of using skins.
skin is by player choice.

one day maybe i will set that AI will look like his skins if he/she wants hence any new unit you want will vanish.

also if you need a new unit it is a bad way making it a skin - as that is not a new unit - but a skin.

also AOF has already too many units so i think we should stop puttin in units only for only campaigns - the current engine can not handle these many units - it is slow and laggy.

only exception if u have THAT specially good and wanted idea of a campaign that MUST that unit. Eg. like a Frodo (that we already have) for LOTR campaign
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

That's exactly why i need skins usage allowed in place of addition of new units.

Also i need that because i am using lots of ai as well in my campain. In most cases i have all 6 slots used.
And even still i do not have enough colors and ais which is why i need to make the difference more clear between 2 ais for player.
And here are coming in handy skin packs (in theory).

Do not misunderstand though since this will not prohibit usage of skins for player.
At least because he will be on the map for completely different race.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

That's exactly why i need skins usage allowed in place of addition of new units.
you mean the too many units? no, we will not make things "wrong" way because of a faulty engine, we simply holtd those back until the problem is solved.
do not have enough colors and ais which is why i need to make the difference more clear
? i dont understand, you want new units only to differenciate something? please tell me an example because i have no idea what u mean.
this will not prohibit usage of skins for player
i wrote this:
one day maybe i will set that AI will look like his (the player selected) skins if he/she wants so any new unit you want will vanish.
this means your skin settings will VANISH! even if the player uses different race, this is why we must make things in intended ways

also this is not a modders lounge discussion - moving to campaigns section maybe.
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

I have in one campain map 3 ai with orange color (i can't give them different colors because they all belong to same faction and same city). They all also are set as humans.

One of them i made for warfell units, two others i made for generic, basic units. And i need to make ai 2 anf ai 3 (let's call them this way) to have different looks for same units. Can i use for that skins? Because i can't use for that default looks (looks very bad and confusing, also ai 2 troops at one point will betray city and will change ownership to ai 4 who is allied to player; this also one of reasons why i need different looks for them) and if i can't use for that skins i need to ask to add new units.
Player on this map is undead who is assaulting city so his skin choice will not affect campain look.

Later both sides (ai 2 and ai 3) will also take place in other maps of campain and meet with each other while keeping same color.

As for colors and ai — mainly because this campain scale-wise is huge i am using all possible colors and i do not want to change for 1-4 maps colors of ais and players just because. All factions in my campain have a set colors which must not be changed for better story and looks.

Map will not have any ways to train units for both sides.

Basically if this option will be added this will allow for map creators to "add" new units without actually new units' jsons via usage of skins in the game.
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

I have in one campain map 3 ai with orange color (i can't give them different colors because they all belong to same faction and same city). They all also are set as humans.
lol :) i hope you are kidding that you want new units because u set them to same colors - use the playercolors for differentiating which is which player - THAT IS MADE for that - please ALWAYS use the things the intended ways!

all other you suggest is not possible.
please do not even plan such things in a campaign.

use everything as intended.
makazuwr32

Re: Usage of different skins for map creators ANSWERED

Post by makazuwr32 »

As i mentioned above i can't use different colors. I can't use in this map red color for that faction, in next map blue, after yellow and than orange. It will just ruin the campain looks.
Also i am making this campain as very serious one, with big story and such. Which is why please instead of addition of more and more restrictions come towards map creators.

I do not understand why can't you allow usage of skins for ai at least in campains. I think it is not that hard to implement this feature.
This feature also can reduce in future amount of map editor units since players can just ask to add their skin for unit and use it instead of making skin and json for new unit.
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

Sorry if you dont feel it wrong.
But it is.

use the player color for player differentiationg - that is ment to be that.
you dont need use orange after blue on next - use blue on every map for that AI player.

also no, i will not implement anything that is totally against the good working of things.

especially for a reason that is in a wrong track.

and again: DO NOT plan such campaign that is not doable without any extra units and any extra implementation, there are already very flexible "valid" ways to make camapigns. make a differen campaign idea if this campaign idea is not doable currently.
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

It is doable but it will feel wrong.
And no i do not uderstand what is wrong with usage of skins.
Well maybe not usage of skins for normal units but why not for example allow do add skins and use them for map editor units? Without addition of new json.
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

mapeditor units must not have skins...
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

Imagine if i want to create a scenario where bandits r attacking hero army, right now in aos there is the marauders skin pack, if i could set ai to use the marauders skinpack while player uses normal skinpack, then i already have common units that look like bandits without making any extra neutral bandit jsons, while for player it is still default pack that will change according to wat he selects

Basically my point is letting ai have all skinpacks available and map creator having the opportunity to exploit it but making sure player owned units r always using default skins
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

May b in map editor, as long as any ai player is selected, after long-clicking any unit in unit menu, wen the stats description appears, there will b an indicator/drop-down button on the image of the unit and tapping it will display names of any available skin for this unit, of course safe guards must b placed so player dont exploit it (but i doubt it is that big deal since player will have a different skin unit only for that map he is playing)
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

ok, i see the point now, as AI is a different player it can have its own skins without problem - but i can not promise it being available soon.
by trigger would be easier eg a special SETSKINPACK=PACKNAME on a unit(s) to make, but would be very clumsy to mapdesigners.

Return to “Map units request”