Troll shaman's and orc shaman's spells adjustment - IMPLEMENTED

Alexander82

Troll shaman's and orc shaman's spells adjustment - IMPLEMENTED

Post by Alexander82 »

I think that the rotten spell isn't much fit and basically I've never understood what its effect is

I would remove it and change it with something more themed with the race.

Also we still need to adjust the summon dragon spell adding a tech for it

I was also thinking about 2 new themed buffs:

1) Troll's regeneration: Basically the same of the effect that trolls have (to avoid being op it shouldn't stack with another regeneration so it shouldn't affect other trolls)

2) Troll's skin: +5/+5 armor

Since Orc shamans have strengthen that gives a bonus to both armor and attack I would change it to a new effect called "orc's strength" that gives +5 attack but no bonus to armor

Also I'd change the orc shaman's double attack spell's name in "Orc's frenzy" (just for flavor) even tough it would still be a clone of the human's double attack

This way you will need both casters to have a full range of buffs with a final effect that would be a bit higher but with more effort. Also you'll have more use of the troll shaman that isn't just summoning dragons.

This change is a flavor rework that I'm trying to apply to the goblin shaman proposal.

Let me know what do you think about that.
Age of Fantasy design leader
Sunrise Samurai

Re: Troll shaman's and orc shaman's spells adjustment

Post by Sunrise Samurai »

Frenzy: +1 action, +1 speed, and +5 power, but -5/-5 armor to one allied melee unit. Duration 2.

The added speed and power make up for the armor loss, and make the spell completely different from merely double strike. Anything you cast this on is going to hit hard and fast for a turn or two, but is likely to die after it gets those attacks in. Enhances the "powerful yet expendable" feel for orcs.

Troll regeneration: nice, but seems useless compared to 100% healing.

Strengthen split: not sure I like the net +2/+2 armor above strengthen. Maybe keep strengthen as is on orc shaman, and put a new spell on troll shaman, like this one for an interesting effect.

Boiling blood: Target (allied or enemy) melee unit gains +5 power, but -10 max hp. Permanently, can stack, cannot be dispelled.

Very powerful, if used wisely. Debuff your enemies to death (literally) or add much needed damage output to your own troops. Adds more "suicidal rage" feel to your army.
The glorious sun rises again
Alexander82

Re: Troll shaman's and orc shaman's spells adjustment

Post by Alexander82 »

Sunrise Samurai wrote:Frenzy: +1 action, +1 speed, and +5 power, but -5/-5 armor to one allied melee unit. Duration 2.

The added speed and power make up for the armor loss, and make the spell completely different from merely double strike. Anything you cast this on is going to hit hard and fast for a turn or two, but is likely to die after it gets those attacks in. Enhances the "powerful yet expendable" feel for orcs.
I don't agree.

-5/-5 to armor is pretty heavy and would expose the melee units too much against archers.

At the moment double strike is far better since you have no downsides. You won't ever risk a orc king for a mere +5 damagex2
The idea is to leave the effect as it is but change the flavor. That would leave orc without their most useful spell.
Sunrise Samurai wrote: Troll regeneration: nice, but seems useless compared to 100% healing.
Quite not. You can heal a unit every turn with the 100% healing. The regeneration heal less but over time. If you take heavy damage 100% healing is better but against some low damage every turn a regeneration is more effective. Also you can stay far from the caster and keep healing some turns.
Sunrise Samurai wrote: Strengthen split: not sure I like the net +2/+2 armor above strengthen.
It is a way to make for the splitting of a spell in 2

a single spell that gives +3 damage and +3/+3 armor is more or less on par with a +5 power OR a +5/+5 armor

You can use both but you will need more casters to keep your attackers continously buffed, otherwise you'll have to choose among attack or defense (or fully buff only a few units)
Sunrise Samurai wrote: Boiling blood: Target (allied or enemy) melee unit gains +5 power, but -10 max hp. Permanently, can stack, cannot be dispelled.

Very powerful, if used wisely. Debuff your enemies to death (literally) or add much needed damage output to your own troops. Adds more "suicidal rage" feel to your army.
Not very useful Imho

You will deal higher damage attacking with your orcs and uruks. It wouldn't be much good against strong units (you will definitely improve their damage).
About using it as a buff is not great either. Loosing 10 Maxhp is a great downside for a small unit that would only get a +5 damage. A big unit wouldn't benefit either from that since it already has a high attack and a high armor too. Loosing 10 hp for a heavy armored unit is like striking it 10 times. It is much better to withstand 10 more attacks than having a +5 damage.

If it was a simple 10 damage but +5 attack would give you the chance to heal your unit but it would also become overpowered.
Age of Fantasy design leader

Return to “Archived - Orcish Technologies and Spells”