Uruk upgrade pack - ARCHIVED

Sunrise Samurai

Uruk upgrade pack - ARCHIVED

Post by Sunrise Samurai »

@alexander: I apologise for the new topic on this. I searched for the old one and found nothing. Please merge them as soon as possible. Thanks.

I'm thinking the uruk upgrade pack has some tweaking to do.

First off, is the final result of basic uruk hai having 9 pierce armor. I don't think it was ever meant as such, but this monster becomes a 3 cost wrecking ball that most races can't compete with too well, and elves especially come out in trouble. It can easily topple a sentinel or two, for less cost, and the armor circumvents the one advantage elves are supposed to have. I already think master headhunters have absurdly high pierce armor at 7, except they are supposed to be anti archer units.

My second problem here is the cost. Probably because it's s blanket upgrade to several units, we've got a 6/8/12 cost scheme here. That's 26 turns. Maybe a little too costly, even with the extreme power behind it.

Currently, it looks like a game ending tech series, where if you can actually manage to take the time to research it, you win automatically. Could we scale back the cost and the effects a little? Mostly I'm looking at the obnoxious pierce armor of uruk swordsman, since anybody but orcs will have to match these with ranged support for any measure of cost comparison.
The glorious sun rises again
Alexander82

Re: Uruk upgrade pack

Post by Alexander82 »

In truth they are exactly as they were meant. The turn cost should be 6 9 12 (27 turns plus the one needed to make the first uruk tent) and that's for a reason. The only thing tjat changed is that they were meant to work as techs instead (but there was no way to differentiate those bonuses).

Anyway uruk warriors aren't meant to be defeated with archers (that's why we are improving elven infantry).

Unlike other techs there is no way around uruk techs (like building multiple smiths). They are long to research and you must deal with it if you want to benefit from its power.
Age of Fantasy design leader
Sunrise Samurai

I miscounted the time. Sorry. I also noticed that all other uruks only gain 1 of each armor from each upgrade, while the swordsman gains 2 pierce armor from each. That's why I assumed it wasn't meant to be what it is. Done like the rest, it would end up at 6 pierce armor, which is still very high, but not immune anymore.

Also, distinguishing by level 1, level 2, and level 3 seems a little plain. Maybe elite, master, and supreme would impart a better flavor?
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

Yeah, the names aren't great but they were intended to act similarly to elven techs. We might also use name like first age, second age and third age like in lotr.
Age of Fantasy design leader
Sunrise Samurai

Well, those were to denote time periods, so I'd rather avoid that. I would prefer something close to the existing basic-elite-master system, just with another step added.

Return to “Archived - Orcish Technologies and Spells”