Templar to crusader - IMPLEMENTED

These suggestions are in the game
The Pendulum

Re: Templar to crusader

Post by The Pendulum »

Wanderer wrote:I like the ones with the white cross on the shield. I think it stands out much better especially with the red background. The surcoats all look good. If a red cross on white was traditional, then I'd use that.
Thanks! I have one more modification to do to the helmet to appear less 2d sideways, more 2.5d looking towards the player; the red cross white background on the shield and surcoat, to my knowledge was very traditional for the Knights Templar , of course, there was no one standard for colors, however, in the early 1100s, a pope with a long name I can't remember decreed white surcoat as standard wear for the Templars as a symbol of Innocence, and it was presumed that the red crosses signified Martyrdom.

That said, the Teutonic Knights of the Germanic/Prussian region wore white surcoats with a black cross of the same fashions (there were multiple cross designs), however, the Teutons originated as a German hospice/clinic In foreign land's to aid the ill and dying of native Germans in far away land's. It wasn't until I think the late 1100s that the Holy Roman Empire decreed they become a military organization as well.. They were white renowned as incredibly talented and skillful warriors (some would say invincible), and the Teutonic Knights wore a white surcoat with a black cross.

I love the white and black, black and white and white and red designs, however, my favorite is still the white surcoat and red cross.

Also, if anyone cares, the Teutonic Knights are still around today, though they're only spiritual advisors as well as a hospice/nursery, and go by a different name.
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

I think the red on white is the best as well: the Teutonic Knight idea has a separate topic here on the forum for implementation.
Thanks!
Josh
The Pendulum

Post by The Pendulum »

I still have a couple revisions as well! Don't think I'm done here! I'll be posting those additions in a few hours or so! I think it'll make the helmet look much better I think! I hope!
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

I hope too! :) Let's see them!
Thanks!
Josh
The Pendulum

Post by The Pendulum »

After many, many revisions, alterations, and headache, and with the great help of 'coolguy', I bring to you my final revision of The Knights Templar.
Attachments
Final Templar.png
Final Templar.png (1.64 KiB) Viewed 9779 times
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

I LOOOOVE it! :D

Good job, it was awesome working with you and suggesting things. I am sure that I am the cause of much of your headache. :) But I really like this image and can't wait to see more that you do.
Thanks!
Josh
The Pendulum

Post by The Pendulum »

You definitely were the cause of my headaches, BUT, withour your feedback, insight, and guidance, it wouldn't be nearly as awesome as it is now: so truly, thanks!

Also, is this the part where I suggest unit stats for the upgrade?
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

This is a good image :)
Age of Fantasy design leader
The Pendulum

Post by The Pendulum »

Thanks Alexander!
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

:)

Yes we don't really have stats yet do we. Or even an official name! :lol:

If you have ideas for the stats, please post them!
Thanks!
Josh
Darkknight

Post by Darkknight »

Nice image. It think the stats should be:
Researched in church for 6 turns
Cost 5
Hp 36
Attack 12
Range 1
Armor 2
Pierce armor 2
Speed 3
Sight 5
Heal rate 10
Spell resistance 100%
The Pendulum

Post by The Pendulum »

Darkknight wrote:Nice image. It think the stats should be:
Researched in church for 6 turns
Cost 5
Hp 36
Attack 12
Range 1
Armor 2
Pierce armor 2
Speed 3
Sight 5
Heal rate 10
Spell resistance 100%
If memory served, That seems like a pretty weak upgrade. That appears to be +2 hp and +2 attack for a 6 turn upgrade. Might I suggest adding more armor, or more hp, or some combination? He did get a great helm this time!

I'm working on memory here, but it seems like all the other upgradable units get a massive boost to stats when upgraded, I just don't want my favorite unit to get left out of the cool kids club. Lol
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

i have suggestion to the image:
i like it, it is cool! but the red cross on the chest seems flat like it is not on his chest. what do u think?
lordtalamar

Post by lordtalamar »

Or bonus to heal?
The Pendulum

Post by The Pendulum »

Daniel (the dev) wrote:i have suggestion to the image:
i like it, it is cool! but the red cross on the chest seems flat like it is not on his chest. what do u think?
I will try shading the cross on his surcoat; believe it or not It's actually shaded quite a bit, but I think most people won't even notice what you see (those that don't draw). It's just is being pperfextionists. ;)
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

I would say the bonus should be for healing ability. My opinion. ;)

PPperxfextiotinists FTW! :D
Thanks!
Josh
The Pendulum

Post by The Pendulum »

COOLguy wrote:I would say the bonus should be for healing ability. My opinion. ;)

PPperxfextiotinists FTW! :D
I would say the bonus should come in the form of extra armor, but I'm not sure what would be balanced? I like extra healing but, I would prefer extra armor and Hp, or just attack eating.

So, Armor, HP, attack, then healing.
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

Ok either way sounds good actually. Just as long as he is better than the first Templar. :)
Thanks!
Josh
The Pendulum

Post by The Pendulum »

@ Daniel: Here is the revised Cross on his surcoat. Any darker and the cross on his chest wont be visibly red (its already a very dark maroon as it is on the left edge (where the shadowing from his shield is). I think the real problem is that I didnt outline the cross on his chest, so it appears much more 2d than if i could gradient the cross towards the border, and lighten the border on the other side, does that make sense? (There's not enough room for a border without overlapping into the edge of the coat/shadowing)... it just looks more weird in my opinion. Unless anyone has any other suggestions *cough, Daniel, cough*... I believe this one is complete and ready to be voted in for possible implementation.. once we all agree on stats obviously.

;)
Attachments
Final Templar.png
Final Templar.png (1.64 KiB) Viewed 9759 times
The Pendulum

Post by The Pendulum »

The Pendulum wrote:@ Daniel: Here is the revised Cross on his surcoat. Any darker and the cross on his chest wont be visibly red (its already a very dark maroon as it is on the left edge (where the shadowing from his shield is). I think the real problem is that I didnt outline the cross on his chest, so it appears much more 2d than if i could gradient the cross towards the border, and lighten the border on the other side, does that make sense? (There's not enough room for a border without overlapping into the edge of the coat/shadowing)... it just looks more weird in my opinion. Unless anyone has any other suggestions *cough, Daniel, cough*... I believe this one is complete and ready to be voted in for possible implementation.. once we all agree on stats obviously.

;)

Does anyone have the current stats for the Templar (as well as the sowrdsman, broad swordsman, and man at arms?)

I think it might be very wise to observer the stat jumps between all the swordsmen upgrades, and then taking that % jump (Roughly, not necessarily an exact %) and then applying that to the Templar.

Alternatively, we could use the current stats for the knight and the heavy knight, and then observing his stat jumps and use something similar to that % as well.
The Pendulum

Post by The Pendulum »

In Hoc Signo Vinces : Templar Captain Upgrade icon; to be researched in the Church.

Uploaded the "original" image used for inspiration.

The symbol translated to "Conquer for this symbol"; a symbol the Templars, Crusaders, and many other Christian armies idealized. It was a source of not only inspiration, but a symbol of the Christian Army.

Figured it would fit as an upgrade tech icon.
Attachments
AOS Templar Upgrade Icon.png
AOS Templar Upgrade Icon.png (989 Bytes) Viewed 9753 times
York_rite_tran.gif
York_rite_tran.gif (39.01 KiB) Viewed 9753 times
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

getting nice, suggestions:
- the head is not in right position i think (a few pixels should be to the left)
- the chest is still flatty, maybe because of the white rectangle it is on, or the cross's position
- the shiled cross is too thick i suggest thinning it (it looks too curved/smoothed on the edges)
The Pendulum

Post by The Pendulum »

Daniel (the dev) wrote:getting nice, suggestions:
- the head is not in right position i think (a few pixels should be to the left)
- the chest is still flatty, maybe because of the white rectangle it is on, or the cross's position
- the shiled cross is too thick i suggest thinning it (it looks too curved/smoothed on the edges)
I will revise it again; thanks for the suggestions! How does the Templar cross tech icon i drew look? Should i draw something else? Perhaps a closed Bible with the red Templar cross? Or do you like my insignia?
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

I think the tech icon is cool. I haven't compared it to the other icons though.
Thanks!
Josh
The Pendulum

Post by The Pendulum »

My best attempt to please everyone. Personally, i think this is the best revision yet. Let me know what yall think!
Attachments
Final TemplarRevised.png
Final TemplarRevised.png (1.74 KiB) Viewed 9736 times
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

i like it, got much better!
The Pendulum

Post by The Pendulum »

Daniel (the dev) wrote:i like it, got much better!
Awesome! Glad you like it!:D
DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Post by DoomCarrot »

oooOOoooOooohh.... I like the shading, it adds a lot of depth :)
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
ejm29

Post by ejm29 »

Great image! :)
"I don't care who I have to step on on my way down."
Calibear

Post by Calibear »

Im not good at drawin but, I LIKE it. That's a crusader with great helm (others call it bucket helm) and this upgrade will help the health of teh game. More Uprades=More Gems to Collect= Moar Strategy!

So the church will be filled up with tech upgrade (The Templar's Crusade) so they become crusaders. Now I would like to go to church 8-)
Strategy...Strategy.. I want your strategy! Wait, did you just only used tactics!?

Return to “IMPLEMENTED - Infantry”