Templar to crusader - IMPLEMENTED

These suggestions are in the game
Darkknight

Re: Templar to crusader

Post by Darkknight »

COOLguy wrote:Maybe a name:

Upgrade: Templar -> Master Templar (or Grand Master, but that was the leader of them all. Maybe for a hero unit.)

or...

Upgrade: Templar -> (knights) Hospitallar (the rival order that got most of the Templar land when the Roman Catholic church disbanded the Knights Templar)

I am fully in favor of a Templar upgrade! :)
Now we have a good image from The Pendulum. We still need to think of a new name. I think the Master Templar is good. We also need it's stats.
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

Didn't you post stats earlier on this thread?
Thanks!
Josh
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

I saw a nice image in the unit chart 85-84 or 84-85
Its like
Man at arms and templar combined
BEWARE!!!!The long lost empire of phoenicia is rising- The world is but just near the golden age,wherein men played and frolicked,without any worries at all

TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

Maybe pendulum can use it to improve his image a bit. Otherwise its fine
BEWARE!!!!The long lost empire of phoenicia is rising- The world is but just near the golden age,wherein men played and frolicked,without any worries at all

patroid

Post by patroid »

The shading has ro be changed a bit but the rest is PERFECT :-)
Nice Work

Patroid
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

I will start calling you "the shading guy" :D
Age of Fantasy design leader
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

Patroid the "shady" guy. lol :)
Thanks!
Josh
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

Hahahahah truestory xD
Age of Fantasy design leader
The Pendulum

Post by The Pendulum »

What, exactly, needs to be changed with the shading? Saying something needs changing but not saying what or why offers no constructive feedback whatsoever.
patroid

Post by patroid »

Hi
Well:
1. Tge head is different shaded then the body --> there has to be different light source...
BUT that is not realistic caus in battles is only 1 light source..the sun
So u have to shade ALL parts the same way.
2. Tga shading itself gives him a different forn then a templar has...
Means..his head ( for example) dont looks like a shere or cylinder.
It looks more like...well maybe a rounded box with some strange forms
On it (all this is yust meant for shading...not for the forn itself)
3. Its sometimes too dark or to light to catch the same shade ...and light strength
Like it is on the other units.. (3. Is a small thing that is not that important)

Patroid
The Pendulum

Post by The Pendulum »

It's been about 5 months since I've done any pixel art-so I'm a bit rusty.

I tried syncing all the shading up with what seems to be one light source. And adjusted the great helm a little bit. How's it look?
Attachments
Templar Final Revised.png
Templar Final Revised.png (1.46 KiB) Viewed 8934 times
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

I think it looks better.
Thanks!
Josh
The Pendulum

Post by The Pendulum »

Thanks!
DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Post by DoomCarrot »

His legs look a little... off to me somehow. Like, the left leg (his right) looks like is in splits. Just my two cents :)
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

DoomCarrot wrote:His legs look a little... off to me somehow. Like, the left leg (his right) looks like is in splits. Just my two cents :)
Actually, I think that it is the normal stance he used (from the Templar). It just must be that the pants make it look a little different. :)
Thanks!
Josh
The Pendulum

Post by The Pendulum »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knights_Templar
The webpage above lists three main ranks within the Templar organization. In short, we have the Knight Templars, Sergeant Templars, and then the .Chaplains

The Knighted Templars were those famous for the white surcoats bearing the red cross. The Templar Sergeants wore black or brown mantles with a red cross.

Since the current templar in the game does not have a white mantle, I propose that we rename him "Templar Sergeant", and his upgraded form will be "Knights Templar".

To alleviate issues with the mounted Templar in game currently, we could simply rename him to either "Mounted Templar Sgt" (Sgt is the abbreviation for Sergeant) OR simply "Mounted Templar". Im working on the mounted versions' image as well, giving the upgraded form a white surcoat along with a great helm as well. We could simply name the mounted templar's upgrade to "Mounted Knights Templar".

I'm also reworking the upgrade icon for the Templar's tech icon.
Hardeep

Post by Hardeep »

^+1^ :D
There never was much hope... just a fool's hope
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

Great! I like it. :) Let's see what Daniel thinks.
Thanks!
Josh
The Pendulum

Post by The Pendulum »

Fixed the shadowing beneath the dismounted Knights Templar.
So, I was thinking about the upgrade to transition the regular non upgraded Templar to the Knights Templar, and I got to thinking: the upgrades for the swordsmen to men-at-arms, as well as all the other upgrades are found in the blacksmith, and they upgrade sequentially, but why not change things up for the two Templar's since, well, both units are both Templars with the same stats. Why don't we make the Knights Templar and the Mounted Knights Templar upgrade the same upgradeable tech which is located in the church/cathedral and then set the cost to either 6 or 8. I feel that this tech should be located in the church because during these times, affairs of the Church were completely seperate from "state" (or kingdom, in this sense) and the Templar's were an organization belonging to the Christian Church of the Holy Roman Empire/Papal states.

In short, make the Templar and Mounted Templar upgrade only one tech, and place this tech in the church and give it a high turn cost since it's a conveniently located tech. Thoughts?
Attachments
Mounted Knights Templar.png.png
Mounted Knights Templar.png.png (1.55 KiB) Viewed 8889 times
Knights Templar Final Revision.png
Knights Templar Final Revision.png (1.41 KiB) Viewed 8889 times
DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Post by DoomCarrot »

I LIKE
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

Excellent

Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

i like them!

Knights Templar Final Revision.png:
- the sword looks broken by the grip.
- the position of the figure is not natural... maybe the sheld should move to the right? i am not sure. or the legs are not right. maybe the shield- try moving the shield to the right a bit (2-3 px)
Mounted Knights Templar.png.png:
- not bad, only thing is the horse looks a bit flat.
- the cross on horse also too perfect (as being drawn on it) not as being part of the coating of the horse.
- also the horse head is too small compared to the knight head.

naming change: i am ok with it! i suggest in "Sergeant Templar" form
The Pendulum

Post by The Pendulum »

Daniel (the dev) wrote:i like them!

Knights Templar Final Revision.png:
- the sword looks broken by the grip.
- the position of the figure is not natural... maybe the sheld should move to the right? i am not sure. or the legs are not right. maybe the shield- try moving the shield to the right a bit (2-3 px)
Mounted Knights Templar.png.png:
- not bad, only thing is the horse looks a bit flat.
- the cross on horse also too perfect (as being drawn on it) not as being part of the coating of the horse.
- also the horse head is too small compared to the knight head.

naming change: i am ok with it! i suggest in "Sergeant Templar" form
Now it just feels like everyones nitpicking. Its like, one version of it some people love, others point out this n that, and then when i fix those issues, others point out some other problem, here we are, at least 5 revisions later, and still pointing out "flaws". But, its your game, and I'm determined to get this 100%, sooo.. Sigh. Back to the drawing board. :P

You're turning my hair grey Daniel. Grey. ;)

As for the horse looking flat, it is the same exact horse from the knight.png, but i will darken it's contour lines tomorrow... I think that might be the problem. Also, what do you recommend for the horses cross, because i can't see anywhere else to put it, and making it smaller just looks like a blood splatter in my opinion. Shade some of cross darker? I dont know how fix something looking too perfect... It has depth (one side shorter as if it were at an angle) and it's shaded which gives it a slightly bent look.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

ok, i will not nitpick on your images :)
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

I agree pendulum these are by far one of the best images but yes the horse needs some shading thats all.rest all is perfect and dont change much else the image may be ruined. Nice work

The Pendulum

Post by The Pendulum »

How're these?

P.S. Daniel: Feel free to nitpick all you want good Ser, I was only bustin your chops since you keep bustin mine. :D
That said, don't forget that CoolGuy *is* the elected Design Leader, so it would make sense if his judgement were taken into consideration equally. ;)
All joking aside, I do appreciate all of everyone's feedback because without it, I'd have been content with my first iteration and it isnt until now that Ive realized that even when I make something as good as I think I can make it, it can still be improved usually, and ends up looking better. Plus, I do quite enjoy making these little warrior sprites. :D

The only thing that really frustrates me though, is how bad I want my favorite unit to get upgraded. After all, I started this design over 5 months ago, and he still isn't in the game yet. :(
I have faith he'll make it though. Hah, see what i did there? :P

I removed the pommel on the dismounted Knights Templar since hand a half swords don't translate well into 32x32 pixels, and I think no pommel looks more adequately proportioned that with a pommel, and I shifted his right leg (left leg as your looking at it) closer to his hips. I think it looks better now, BUT if you imagined him leaning forward before onto his left leg, it made sense (to me) why his right leg was so far backwards, because it was fully extended.

I also darkened the contour lines on the horse and made its head bigger. Hope you all like it.

Also, I made an image months ago for the tech upgrade, which Ill post here and Coolguy recommended I edit it a little bit to be more like Religious Fervers Icon, but without specifics, I dont know what that means. Cue: Coolguy's explanation. ;)
Attachments
AOS Templar Upgrade Icon.png
AOS Templar Upgrade Icon.png (989 Bytes) Viewed 8877 times
Mounted Knights Templar.png.png
Mounted Knights Templar.png.png (1.56 KiB) Viewed 8877 times
Knights Templar Final Revision.png (1.48 KiB) Viewed 8877 times
Hardeep

Post by Hardeep »

don't forget that CoolGuy *is* the elected Design Leader
*Nearly choke on drink as i jump up*
*Sputtered* Ha! Elected!HA! :lol: Oh, that was a good one, you cracked me up there ohhh...*settles down and wipes mouth*
*snickers*elected...never heard that one before...
You're real funny pendulum, best joke I've heard all day. Keep up the good work :)
There never was much hope... just a fool's hope
The Pendulum

Post by The Pendulum »

Hardeep wrote:
don't forget that CoolGuy *is* the elected Design Leader
*Nearly choke on drink as i jump up*
*Sputtered* Ha! Elected!HA! :lol: Oh, that was a good one, you cracked me up there ohhh...*settles down and wipes mouth*
*snickers*elected...never heard that one before...
You're real funny pendulum, best joke I've heard all day. Keep up the good work :)
I wasnt around for that, for whatever that was, but according to the forum post. Coolguy = Design Leader of which he was elected to hold. Now, who elected him, it couldve been just one person, I dont know. Point is, he's the design leader, and design leaders should have some say. But I think its all ultimately a moot point. I just want these images to be the best that they can be so that we can finally have upgradable templars, so give me ideas and advice, or kindly shut the.... ;)
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

little nitpicker fixes.
Attachments
Knights Templar Final Revision.png (1.48 KiB) Viewed 8872 times
Knights Templar Final Revision2.png
Knights Templar Final Revision2.png (1.43 KiB) Viewed 8872 times
The Pendulum

Post by The Pendulum »

Well now I feel like an ass. I forgpt to move the shield when i edited ithis legs. Lol

I see what youre saying now. It looks better with the shield mpved, rhough IMO it didnt look bad before. Well painted, sir!

Also, what about the upgrade icon? Is the icon itself good? What do you recommend fixing on it if ot needs tweaking? Also, maybe we could oficially name it "Templar Order" for ease of referance?

Also, does the horse look better with its new shading? Or should i adjust it more?

Return to “IMPLEMENTED - Infantry”